Stocking a Fluval Vista 23g

Scretiree47
Can I put 7 Tiger barbs in this tank? It’s 30” long X 12” Deep 18” high.
I will be installing a Fluval 107 canister filter. It’s not set up yet, just planning ahead.

bumblinBee
Is that the only thing you're planning on putting in the tank? I don't have any experience with tiger barbs, but as far as I know they're fairly nippy fish, but having them in a larger school with lots of space mitigates this a bit. From a little googling it reccommends a tank size of at least 20g, but this is like, the minimum tank size for them. So tbh, if it were me, I wouldn't, but take this advice with a grain of salt. Hopefully somebody else with more experience with them can help you more.

The2dCour
I had 7 in a 20, would not recommend, much happier with 11 in a 40. If you get the barbs I might suggest getting more than 7 and no other fish.

Scretiree47
bumblinBee said:
Is that the only thing you're planning on putting in the tank? I don't have any experience with tiger barbs, but as far as I know they're fairly nippy fish, but having them in a larger school with lots of space mitigates this a bit. From a little googling it reccommends a tank size of at least 20g, but this is like, the minimum tank size for them. So tbh, if it were me, I wouldn't, but take this advice with a grain of salt. Hopefully somebody else with more experience with them can help you more.
It will be a single species tank.
The2dCour said:
I had 7 in a 20, would not recommend, much happier with 11 in a 40. If you get the barbs I might suggest getting more than 7 and no other fish.
Ok, the Barbs will be the only ones in the tank, how many for the 23g. It's 30" long so there should be ample swimming space, 12" front to back and 18" tall, about It will be a single species tank. It has about 360 square inches of surface water. I'm installing a Fluval 107 Canister Filter, some gravel and dragon stones + a few plants for them to nibble on.

The2dCour
The 7 I had was with some danios and corys, everyone was much happier when the danios and tiger barbs moved to the 40. I'd imagine with a couple extra friends and no other fish, plus the extra swimming area you can make this work.

Scretiree47
The2dCour said:
The 7 I had was with some danios and corys, everyone was much happier when the danios and tiger barbs moved to the 40. I'd imagine with a couple extra friends and no other fish, plus the extra swimming area you can make this work.
Thanks, I will just stick with the 7. Nine would be better but I don't want to overload the bacteria colony. Plus, the websites I am buying from say they will need 3 Gal per fish once they reach adult size.

Latest threads

Top Bottom