Stocking A Fluval Edge 6 Gallon

Simon321123

I want to get a fluval edge in the future but I wanted to know what I could stock it with. I was thinking this stocking idea let me know if it works

6-7 celestial pearl danios
6 cherry shrimp
2 Amano shrimp

JJfishes

HI and welcome to Fishlore,

There is a great site for calculating if a certain stocking idea would work or not. It's .

You just put in your tank size, size of filter, and your stocking choices.

I chose the Fluval Edge 6 Gallon along with a filter and put the filter rating for 6 gallons.

I put in your fish chocies and received the following warnings:
- Warning: Celestial Pearl Danio is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1 inches.
- Warning: You should add more aquarium filtration capacity.

The shrimp would be fine, but for 6-7 Celestial Pearl Danios, the tank may be a bit small.

A possible option aside from the Danios could be a Betta, and the Shrimps.
Or maybe a Snail and Shrimp tank.

You could also put in an African Dwarf Frog, yeah not a fish, but they're pretty cool.

But it's up to you on if you think it will work out or not, it's your tank after-all.

Good luck .

I have also attached a screengrab of theresults.

aqstocking.png

Simon321123

Thanks for the help. I might try it and if it looks cramped I will move them to my 20 gallon long. also any stocking suggestions that you think would work for the edge?

MissNoodle

Why not some ember tetras or chilI rasboras instead? Theyre tiny schoolers

Simon321123

yeah that could work but I really like cpd's. any thoughts on endlers?

JJfishes

Thanks for the help. I might try it and if it looks cramped I will move them to my 20 gallon long. also any stocking suggestions that you think would work for the edge?

Well that's a good back-plan. For a 6-gallon a school of even small fish is a difficult and tricky slope.

You could put some Endler's Livebearers in there as you just asked about those, 5 or 7 could work out pretty well.

Just not Danios in my opinion, I have a couple Danio species myself and they are very high strung fish and like to move out and about.

Simon321123

I don't like conflict about tank requirements but I've seen lots of people keep cpd's successfully and happy in even 5 gallon.

JJfishes

I don't like conflict about tank requirements but I've seen lots of people keep cpd's successfully and happy in even 5 gallon.

That is why I said do what you feel is right. It is your tank. You say some have kept them successfully in a 5g, but I just gave my opinion on how I like to keep my Danios.

Simon321123

OK. thanks I'll probably will do cpd's

JJfishes

OK. thanks I'll probably will do cpd's

Sounds good! Once you do get it set up, definitely take a picture and post it here on Fishlore, we'd all love to see the finished tank.

esqueff

I have a 6 gallon fluval edge tank with 5 celestial pearls and a few guppies. The cpds are gorgeous and seem to love it in my tank. The 6 gallon is plenty of space for them. Even with how active they are they are doing just great. I would definitely recommend lots of live plants with them as it helps them feel comfortable
d1cc7a54c81545a16fbffb3dc2ec913c.jpg
54d5b94d1aeb4b139b92a6d476954cdd.jpg

MissNoodle

In all fairness I believe celestial pearl danios are actually rasboras, another name for them is galaxy rasbora. And many, many rasboras do well in smaller tanks.

If you are comfortable with the back up plan, then you can always try it out.

Endlers would be another good option for a 6g.

JJfishes

In all fairness I believe celestial pearl danios are actually rasboras, another name for them is galaxy rasbora. And many, many rasboras do well in smaller tanks.

Thinking about it, they do seem more like Rasboras now that you mention it.I have some Zebras and Giants and they are both energetic.

MissNoodle

Thinking about it, they do seem more like Rasboras now that you mention it.I have some Zebras and Giants and they are both energetic.

I watch my zebras in my 46g and I swear its too small some days haha

Simon321123

Esqueff I like your tank. Yeah I’am not going to set it up for awhile I’am currently moveing houses so I’d say it’s going to be a good month.

And also do you think two endlers would work for dither fish I've heard cpd's are shy. also do you think that's over stocked. Thanks

male endlers

Anyone.

jinjerJOSH22

It's actually the other way round. They where originally considered Rasboras but they are closer to Danios. I don't know the details exactly.
Either way a small group should be fine.

And also do you think two endlers would work for dither fish I've heard cpd's are shy. also do you think that's over stocked. Thanks
I had a Betta act as a dither for mine, I have no idea how Endlers do on their own but if they're ok I don't see an issue unless they need warmer water like the Betta.

Simon321123

Thanks I was thinking two male endlers and they actually don't school they just like company and I was wondering on the stocking\bioload side of things?

esqueff

Thanks I was thinking two male endlers and they actually don't school they just like company and I was wondering on the stocking\bioload side of things?

I use my guppies as dither fish and they seem to do good because my danios are not very shy at all. Lots of plants and some a dither fish or two and you should be good. Most might say my fluval is overstocked but its been working great for me. My guppies have already had lots of baby’s and I just move them all to my fry tank. Cpds seem very happy. I also have a nerite snail.
I do weekly 50% water changes and my nitrates never get past 10-15 ppm before the the next water change.

jinjerJOSH22

It should be fine, just keep on top of maintenance as there won't be much room for error.

Simon321123

OK thanks everyone. do you no if the stock light can support mid to low light plants?

esqueff

OK thanks everyone. do you no if the stock light can support mid to low light plants?

I’m sure it could support low light stuff. I modded my light system as soon as I got it and added two mr-11 led bulbs. I have low light plants and they are just exploding with growth. Without the added light I’m sure they’d still be growing just fine but not as quickly.

Simon321123

Thanks is the filter decent too?

esqueff

Thanks is the filter decent too?

Yes so far it’s been a great filter! It’s very quiet, comes with good media and has a great amount of flow that is even adjustable

Simon321123

Thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bgclarke
Replies
Views
fishydaddy
Replies
Views
flyinGourami