Stocking a Community Tank

1. dahly Member Member

Team Fishlore, I need your opinions. I now have 5 happy, schooling White Skirt Tetra's tooling around my 6 week old, 29 gallon tank. The tank has 9 silk plans, a nice sized piece of driftwood, two rocks and a medium sized castle. I want more small fish, and some color too. From my reading, I've learned that the White Skirts can be a little aggressive towards others and that their long fins may be tempting to other fish as well. Silver Tip Tetra's, Golden Barbs, Rainbows and Schwartzi's are on my ever changing list of options. They are not much added color however. I will not add too quickly, just two at a time, unless you think three may be alright too. I will also leave at least 7-10 days between any additions, and perhaps two weeks before my next purchase. My water is testing at <200 hardness and 7.8 pH, if that helps. I really enjoy the White Skirts, but would like some variety. Who better to ask than you! :D

2. Janmitch22 Member Member

Pictures! Not helpful, I know, but my ADDness would like to see what you've got...just 'cause! ;D

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

4. dahly Member Member

I was reading about Rainbows and most are fairly large.  At least bigger than my Skirts!  After I drop my middle boy off at basketball practice, I'll head to the lfs for a look around.   :)  Will neons or cardinal tetra's handle 7.8 pH and hard water?  My reading says no, but what do the voices of experience say?  I want to buy more today, but I learned my lesson last time I rushed. :(

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have never kept cardinals but my neons do well in 7.2 -7.4ph. If you buy some ask what ph they are being kept in and if it's more than .2 difference acclimate them slowly.
    Carol

6. dahly Member Member

So Neon's could survive if I acclimate them say, over 3-4 hours? How many could/should I buy at one time? Thanks Glenn

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I would say 6-8. They like to be in a school.
    carol

8. dahly Member Member

Carol, I can buy that many at once? How long to acclimate? :D

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I think you probably could since their such small fish and as always keep a keen eye on them for a few days. Remember to quarantine them before putting them into the main tank ;) add about1/4 cup of your dechlorinated water each hour until you have equalled the water amount in the bag to begin with. watch them after each addition if there is any distress delay the next addition an extra 30 minutes. But maybe you'll be lucky and the ph will be the same. Good luck.
    Carol

10. dahly Member Member

I'm still a little "gun shy" about adding delicate fish, so I'm going to stay away from the Neons. The LFS has beautiful Pristella (X-Ray) Tetra's that I will start adding this weekend. After I get a school of them, I'm leaning towards Columbian Blue Tetra's. Then 2-3 Bronze/Albino cory's and my tank will be complete. If it were a bigger tank, I'd consider the Diamond Tetra's the LFS has too. They are a little bit bigger than the others in the tank, and from what I've read, can be aggressive. MTS, here I come! :D

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Those fish sound so pretty and will look very good in your tank too ;) Yep your well on your way to MTS ;D I already have it, is it contagious do you think :D
    Carol