Stocking A Aquarium Upgrade.

1. Armypro

Armypro Valued Member Member

Hello, I'm upgrading my 20 Gallon Aquarium, it isn't set in stone but I saw a really nice 55 Gallon (Long? the Box looked longer than tall). I already have 4 Kuhli Loaches, 2 Male Guppies, 1 Male Platy in my 20 Gallon.
    Here is my Stocking plan for my 55 Gallon Aquarium:
    10 Ghost Catfish (Kryptopterus Minor)
    8 Kuhli Loaches
    4 Neon Tetras
    4 Cardinal Tetras
    4 Green Neon Tetras
    3-4 Male Guppies
    2-3 Male Platies
    This may be shooting for the stars but where else am I going to shoot,
    1 Female Betta
    Cleaner Crew:
    6-8 Otocinclus
    1-2 Nerite Snails
    I do hope that will work. I know Kuhli Loaches and Neon Tetras have a low Bioload. I'm also hoping all the Tetras school together, I know you can trick Neon and Cardinals to school together but I'm not sure about the Green Neons and would like to have one massive school other than 3 separate schools. The Ghost Catfish are going to be my Centerpeice fish, so they are a must. The fish I don't mind not having are Otocinclus, the Tetras and the Female Betta.
    If there is anything wrong or I need to change with this plan let me know,
    Thanks in Advance!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so unfortunately the different tetras won't school together. They are all different fish wth different requirements and temperatures.
    Personally I wouldn't add the betta, you will be very lucky if she gets along with rest of the fish but even if she does she will probably be stressed.
    The neon tetras need cooler water than most of the fish.
    The otos would also prefer cooler water

How about this stocking instead
    10 Ghost Catfish
    12 Kuhli Loaches
    12 Cardinal Tetras or Green Neon Tetras
    3-4 Male Guppies
    2-3 Male Platies
    1 GBR
    1 clown pleco
    1-5 Nerite Snails

3. OP
    OP
    Armypro

Well I have some questions about that stocking method, first off German Blue Rams require warmer water than Guppies and basically all of the other fish in the Aquarium, right?
    I'm trying to stay away from Plecostomus as I have one in my 65 Gallon Aquarium and he is very messy, and I don't want to buy anymore Driftwood. Would Flying Foxes (They were schooling together, I'll have to get a better look to see if they're Flying Foxes or SAE) and Nerite Snails work well instead?
    Aren't Green Neon Tetras the same as Neon Tetras, just bred for different color? And I know that you can trick Cardinal Tetras and Neon Tetras to school together. I'm probably going to go with maybe 8 or so Cardinals, what other fish would work well instead of 12 of them?

4. BottomDweller

Umm no GBR need 78f+ (just like bettas which you suggested) the guppies and platies would do better in slightly cooler water but they would tolerate 78f. The rest of those fish would do great at 78-80f.

You can't really trick cardinals and neons into schooling together. Different types of schooling fish will sort of school together but they need a school of their own kind of fish.

Anyway it was just a suggestion you don't have to listen to me

5. OP
    OP
    Armypro

Hm, I read somewhere that Neons and Cardinals could be tricked to school together. I haven't researched German Blue Rams at all, I don't know much about them. I don't think I'd be getting a Cichlid. Do you think Flying Foxes would work, I still of course would have to research them more. What Temperature would the heaters be best set to?

6. OP
    OP
    Armypro

I take that as a no for the Flying Foxes? What other Algae Eater would work (Staying away from Plecostomus, and one that I can get).

I'm guessing the temp would be around 70ish.

Didn't mean to offend you, thought German Blue Rams requires very high temperatures.

7. BottomDweller

Don't worry about it I'm not offended:)

The temperature for the stocking I recommended would be around 78f

I don't know enough about flying foxes to comment. Really the best algae eaters are nerite snails

8. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a source for Kryptopterus Minor? I only ask because planet catfish mentions they are almost nonexistent in the hobby, and most are actually kryptopterus vitreolus. They also do not have much info available on the minors.

The info on the vitreolus list temps from 68-78, so I'm thinking 74-75 would be a good middle ground for them, so you would want to base your stock on that. (No betta). That's also going to be close to the lower extreme for your khuli loaches and for cardinal tetras.

I suggest
    10 ghost catfish
    6-8 neon tetra
    6-8 green neon tetra
    3-4 male guppies
    2-3 male platies
    1-2 Bolivian rams (if you wanted to. They are temp compatible where GBR are not. They stay toward the bottom and are peaceful)
    6-8 Oto catfish
    Nerite snails

You could do a flying fox in this tank, but more than one may cause aggression. Flying foxes can be aggressive with any fish which are similar to themselves, so I would not do both the otos and the fox. The Otis and nerites would compete with each other for food so just be aware of that.

The ghost cats, oto cats, and Bolivian Rams are all very sensitive to water parameters, so that should be taken into consideration.

9. OP
    OP
    Armypro

Ghost Catfish (Kryptopterus Minor) are just smaller Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus Bichirris I haven't heard of them called Kryptopterus Vitreolus, a quick google search says both), same everything just don't grow to as large a size. I'm hoping to keep all the fish I have in my Aquarium, mine (The Kuhli's as well, I don't want a Cichlid in there, can't get Bolivian Rams without having them shipped to me). I prefer BottomDwellers suggestions (Without the GBR and Pleco) as it allows me to keep the Guppies, Platy, and Loaches.

A temp of 77-78 should be alright with the Kuhli's, Ghost Cats and possibly the Neons (Some sites say 70-80ish). I could easily get 5 or so Nerite snails for the cleaner crew, and maybe a Apple Snail. Some sites (And I'm getting this off of google) say Cardinal Tetras can go at Temps 73ish-80 and Glass Cats can 72-80ish. Unfortunately a spot may show up in my 65 Gallon Aquarium for the Loaches, as my Half Banded Spiny Eel (Which I am very attached to) has been acting weird lately, which worries me as I love Eels and Eel-like fish.

I was just thinking of random Algae Eaters that I saw from the Petsmart I go to for fish (I don't have a Petshop dedicated to fish around me), the only Plecostomus that I can get which wouldn't have to be shipped to me and fits in my Aquarium is a Bristlenose Pleco.

What PH would be recommended for my stocking plan? My tap water has a PH of 7.2, but in my Aquariums it has a PH of 8.2 to around 8.4 (I put some Driftwood in my 65 Gallon Aquarium last Thursday, may as well test it today).

10. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

If you want an algae eater that looks like a flying fox, you can try the siamese algae eater.

11. AngelTheGypsy

Planet catfish is the best site for catfish info, and seriously fish or fishbase for other types. Google can be terribly inaccurate, just FYI.

I got all the info from planet catfish for my recommendations, just FYI. The lower tamp would work for all your planned fish except for the khulis, but higher temps wouldn't be good for most the fish. The ghost cats high extreme is 78, I wouldn't keep their water there permanently as it may cause immune deficiencies and possible shortened lifespan. That's is similar to keeping the temperature in your house at 95 at all times. You could survive it, but not comfortably and eventually put your health at risk.
    Since you said the ghost cats were a must have, I based my suggestion on what would be best with them.

12. OP
    OP
    Armypro

The Flying Foxes at the store may be mis-labeled and be Siamese Algae Eaters, they were schooling together so I can only assume. I'll be in there next Monday to get another Australian Rainbowfish and Female Red Velvet Swordtail. May as well grab a shot of them with my I-phone.
    I believe you and I'm positive most websites on google can be horridly inaccurate but I just don't have any place to put my Kuhli Loaches, and I have 4 of them now. I'm attached to those crazy little guys, they're hilarious. I've had one for over 4 months, another for 2 weeks and 2 others 4 days. I can only return 2 of them, the rest I don't think I'll be able to re-home and I don't want 3 Aquariums running at the same time. I can't put them in my 65 Gallon Aquarium because theres a Half Banded Spiny Eel in there (Which was sold to me as a Kuhli Loach, $10 Discount aw yea!) who is slow to eat and gets double their size (Kuhli's are less active and more stressed if they know theres a Predator in their Aquarium, and Spiny Eels are Ambush Predators that's why they bury themselves and are quite nocturnal).

13. AngelTheGypsy

You could put the kuhlis with your planned stock, i finally found them on seriously fish. (I had to search by their scientific name, which I had to google) They list them from 68-78, so they would do fine at 74.
    Also on the neons, the regular and green neons are different species. The green neons can go warmer, but can do cool water also, where the neons need it cooler. They will need their own schools, 6 minimum, but they are not tight schoolers and both species would probably swim all together. I forgot to mention that earlier.
    So:
    10 ghost cats
    6-8 neon tetra
    6-8 green neon tetra
    3-4 male guppies
    2-3 male platies
    6-8 khuli loach
    6 oto cats
    Nerite snails

Temp 74F

I left out the Bolivians since you didn't want them, I only offered them as a cooler water alternative to GBR.

14. OP
    OP
    Armypro

Magnificent! I have my Aquarium at 78F right now and those little guys are all over there, may be freaking out the Guppies and Platies by how wiggly and active they are, hah. Maybe they're scarred of Eel-like fish. I'm planning on getting the Kuhli's school to at least 8 (May go higher). Tetra's don't tightly swim together, (I'm basing this off my Long Fin Black Skirt Tetras) they will if they are stressed, or get shocked, but if they feel safe and comfortable they'll be all over the Aquarium. I had no idea Green Neon Tetras were so much different from regular Neons, I thought they were just bred for different color.

Just to clearify, could I have both Green Neons and Neon Tetras in my Aquarium? Like your stocking suggestion above. If so what would I replace the Bolivian Ram with? I of course would only have 1 Nerite Snail and feed them Algae Wafers every couple days, and the Nerite Snail would eat the leftovers (I always seem to overfeed, probably because I wash my hands before feeding since I have to dip it into the Aquarium so it goes to the bottom).

15. BottomDweller

You could have green neons but not neons. Neons need water below 75f

16. OP
    OP
    Armypro

I see, Thanks.

17. OP
    OP
    Armypro

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll really like this Aquarium, I have a Amazon Sword and a Bamboo Plant in my 20 Gallon so far which I will be transferring to the 55, I will be getting more Swords and more interesting plants to put in there as well as Driftwood (Hopefully both real and fake since my PH is quite high).
    I'll take BottomDwellers advice and probably not go with both Green and and regular Neon Tetras and instead just add in one big school of Green Neons around 8-10 (Unless I could add in Cardinals, then a school of Neons and Cardinal Tetras). I may also bring the school of Otocinclus to 8-10 as well as the Loaches and finish it off there. I am also going to add in the Ghost Cats last (As I do with very sensitive or aggressive fish, or my cleanup crew) with the Otocinclus being second to last (I always stock hardier fish first).

Thanks for your help again, I'll stock my Aquarium to this

18. AngelTheGypsy

That will work, but if you want you could have both green and regular neons, since the optimal temperature for most of your fish will be 74F. I would not add the cardinal tetras, since 73 is their bottom temp, neons would be the better fit. And you could do close to 20 tetra combined if you want, and make for a nice sized school. You could do just green or a mix of green and regular, as long as you have at least 6 of each. More is always better. I personally would would close to 20 of one species of tetra.

This sounds like it's going to be a great tank!

19. OP
    OP
    Armypro

Then I will definitely add both Neons and Green Neons, really like the look of them both. I may just keep the two schools at 12 Tetras so I can add in some more Otocinclus (To maybe 8) and Kuhli's (quite possibly 8 as well). Going to be in my kitchen with lots of natural light (Maybe 5-10 minutes of direct sunlight, The plants won't mind). I'm surely going to enjoy it, same with my cats, hah. They do enjoy watching fish. I'm horrible at Aquascaping but we'll see how it turns out.
    Thanks for the help! For the seemingly 100th time!