Stocking a 90 Gal?

jwolf

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
90 Gallon Severum Stocking Advice

I have a 90 gallon tank currently stocked with 6 Silver Dollars. My Oscar recently passed away of 8 years and I would like to stock my tank with some new fish. I have strongly considered Severums, maybe a pair or more. How many would be suitable for the 90 gal. and my Silver Dollars?

Also - advice on any stocking options is welcome that doesn't need to be limited to just Severums. I want to stay away from the Oscar's or large cichlids of that size this go around. Thanks!

I threw around the idea of
-2-4 Severums
-6 Silver Dollars
-4 Emerald Catfish
-6 Barbs/Tetras of some kind

Cmanning

Reactions
Experience
Just started
I have 3 red head Tapajos in with my 4 Severums and a Bristle Nose Pleco in my 100 gal. I also have a Red Ceibal female I added, the male was harassing her!
All seem to get along fine.

Angelfish or Festium would also work with the Severum.

I am not sure on the quantities. Maybe someone else can advise.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
By emerald catfish I assume you mean Brochis (really Corydoras) splendens?
They need groups of 6+, so 2 more and you'll be set. Other than that it's fine.

OP
jwolf

jwolf

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this a suitable stocking for a 90 Gallon tank?

- 1 Severum
- 1 Chocolate Cichlid
- 6 Silver Dollars
- 6 Emerald Catfish (Cory)

OR

- 1 Severum
- 4 Geos
- 6 Silver Dollars
- 6 Emerald Catfish (Cory)

I really want to have at least 1 Severum with the best possible tank mates

chrt396

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I think I would stick with the Severum and Silver Dollars and nix the Chocolate or Geo Cichlid. Those both get very big..so when everyone grows out..it will be kind of crowded. 90 gallon only has a 48" footprint..and I think the mix without the extra Cichlid would be a bit more optimal. I have been accused of overstocking..but South Americans are different than Africans as far as behavior.

I have a Red Streak Severum that I LOVE! He is the centerpiece of my 90 gallon tank. Housed along with him is a Bloody Parrot. They have had a couple tiffs..but nothing fatal. Just a bit of lip locking! Little damage..a few scrapes...nothing deadly.

chrt396

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Anders247 said:
I would do the first option.
Now you are the stocking expert..so let me ask this.

Severum 8 inches
Chocolate Cichlid 10 inches
silver dollars 6 inches TIMES 6

corys..doesn't matter

You don't think that with the school of 6 Silver Dollars plus two larger SA Cichlids.that it might be a bit jammed up in a 90 gallon tank with only a 48" footprint x 18"

chrt396

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I just picture my tank..and it's hard to imagine all that aquatic life in that small area. BUT..if you can do it...go for it! I love the selection!!!

OP
jwolf

jwolf

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a new option I have been playing around with and I recently fell in love with "Uaru Cichlids." Would this stock work for a 90 gallon?

-2 Uaru Cichlids
-6 Silver Dollars
-6 Cories

** anything else can be added or is this fully stocked?

OP
jwolf

jwolf

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I noticed that this fish is almost impossible to find in the pet store and is sold out or out of stock on all online dealers. Sadness...

Fish tile

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Look into teacup rays one could be in your tank with everything minus the. Corys and 3 silver dollars. Theyre awesome!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
2 years
Fish tile said:
Look into teacup rays one could be in your tank with everything minus the. Corys and 3 silver dollars. Theyre awesome!
They're still too big for a 90 gal.

Fish tile

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Teacup rays are often bred in 75 gallon tanks. If there is enough filtration one would be fine in that size tank with at least those 2'cichlids. And possibly the silver dollars

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
2 years
Fish tile said:
Teacup rays are often bred in 75 gallon tanks. If there is enough filtration one would be fine in that size tank with at least those 2'cichlids. And possibly the silver dollars
Just because they're bred in a tank that size doesn't mean they should live their entire lives in a tank that size. Their max size is 12-14", and a 75 gal (or a 90 gal) doesn't give them much room. A 125 gal minimum is recommended for adults:

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Silver Dollars are better off in a 6'. JMO They spook easy and bang into the tank walls and ornaments. Need subdued lighting.

I have 8 SDs in a 125 6' tank with a full grown Severum and 4 Pictus Cats. My eldest SD is female 11 years old. They can live up to 30 years if well cared for.

chrt396

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
AlyeskaGirl said:
Silver Dollars are better off in a 6'. JMO They spook easy and bang into the tank walls and ornaments. Need subdued lighting.

I have 8 SDs in a 125 6' tank with a full grown Severum and 4 Pictus Cats. My eldest SD is female 11 years old. They can live up to 30 years if well cared for.
Sounds like a pretty tank! I like Silver Dollars. I really don't know why I didn't pursue them when I got into the hobby. Is your Severum red or green? 30 years??? I'd have to put them in my will!

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
chrt396 said:
Sounds like a pretty tank! I like Silver Dollars. I really don't know why I didn't pursue them when I got into the hobby. Is your Severum red or green? 30 years??? I'd have to put them in my will!
My Sev is just the Green one. I love his black stripes and how they fade with his mood.

OP
jwolf

jwolf

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep changing my mind but really want to settle on a compatible, thriving stocking. So I'll try again - and have a different question this time -

Would 1 Peacock Eel be compatible as a bottom dweller with
-6 SD
-1 Severum

New Threads