Stocking a 75 gallon aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by tyguy7760, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey guys

A friend of mine just came into a 75 gallon aquarium and has asked my help with stocking it. He knows he wants to keep a pair of blood parrots in it. He has done a lot of research on how to properly care for them and such but asked my help in stocking it with other fish. He's kept them in the past so he should be good to go. After doing some internet research in good tank mates and looking at blood parrot posts on here this is what I came up with as well as talking to him about other fish he likes this is what I came up with.

2 Blood Parrots
    1 Red Tailed Shark
    1 Rainbow Cichlid
    1 Blue Gourami
    1 BN Pleco
    2 Bolivian Rams
    7 Albino Cory
    1 Firemouth

I've seen at least a few posts for each species with a blood parrot but not sure if they are compatible with each other. As well as I have no idea if I'm overstocked. I know Anders247 is always good at telling me whether I am or not but please if anyone else has opinions on other things that are better suited for the tank then please let me know.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would not do smaller fish with the blood parrots. They are like angelfish and will try to eat anything that fits in their mouth.

3. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

I think the only fish that could potentially be small enough to fit in a blood parrot's mouth is the cory...and I see Aquarist keeps cories with his blood parrots.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

A 3" Bolivian ram can fit in a 8" blood parrot's mouth. Any 3" fish is probably at risk.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Actually, their mouth is deformed and they can't fit much in their mouth.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

An adult Cory Cat is too large for a Bloody Parrot to swallow.

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Thank you.

So do you guys feel that stock last is appropriate?

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would... be wary of the firemouth in that stock.

9. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Ok. Any suggestions for a replacement?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice