Stocking a 75 gallon. Advice needed for centerpiece fish.

Canacullus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys. I have a 75 gallon planted freshwater aquarium. I currently have 16 cherry barbs and 5 khulI loaches. I am planning on getting 5 more khulI loaches for sure.

I am also planning on getting some honey Gouramis as the third species and they can kinda be a centerpiece fish. I also really really like Bolivian Rams though, and I was thinking a small group of those as a centerpiece fish in addition to HGs.

The only problem is, the barbs and loaches both like the middle/bottom of the tank, so I really don’t want any more fish down there. Are there any very colorful and/or impressive top dwelling fish that would work with loaches and barbs???

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aquanerd14 said:
Hey guys. I have a 75 gallon planted freshwater aquarium. I currently have 16 cherry barbs and 5 khulI loaches. I am planning on getting 5 more khulI loaches for sure.

I am also planning on getting some honey Gouramis as the third species and they can kinda be a centerpiece fish. I also really really like Bolivian Rams though, and I was thinking a small group of those as a centerpiece fish in addition to HGs.

The only problem is, the barbs and loaches both like the middle/bottom of the tank, so I really don’t want any more fish down there. Are there any very colorful and/or impressive top dwelling fish that would work with loaches and barbs???
How about keep it Asian themed and go for a group of 5 Pearl Gourami?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Get at least 4 HG's. Keyhole cichlids would be a good centerpiece fish. You could do a group of 6-8 in there. They aren't flashy but still look cool.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A 75 gallon is a lot of space to work with.

I would add a lot more khulI loaches.

A couple of Bolivian Rams would do fine along with the Khuli's.

Top dweller could be something simple like a dozen male Endler guppies.

Mid-dwellers could be the Honey GouramI you mentioned.

If you want to check out ordering from an online vendor, checkout the Aqua Huna website. Cory from Aquarium Co-Op published a video on YouTube showing a tour of the facility

OP
Canacullus

Canacullus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pearl gouramis I may consider. I really don't find keyhole cichlids very impressive. Endler guppies are a good idea too. Are honey gouramis mid-dwellers?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aquanerd14 said:
Pearl gouramis I may consider. I really don't find keyhole cichlids very impressive. Endler guppies are a good idea too. Are honey gouramis mid-dwellers?
They'll be all over the place honestly, it's hard to classify them :)

OP
Canacullus

Canacullus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does this tank look good for honey Gouramis??? This was taken during a partial WC.

Attachments

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aquanerd14 said:
Does this tank look good for honey Gouramis??? This was taken during a partial WC.
Looks Great for any GouramI honestly, floating plants are always a plus for them and there are plants heading towards the surface meaning there's midwater cover. Really nice tank :D

OP
Canacullus

Canacullus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the following.

x10 khulI loaches
x16 cherry barbs
x4? Bolivian rams
x8 honey gouramis.

I want both the rams and loaches because while the loaches are cool, they’re nocturnal and are pretty inactive.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aquanerd14 said:
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the following.

x10 khulI loaches
x16 cherry barbs
x4? Bolivian rams
x8 honey gouramis.

I want both the rams and loaches because while the loaches are cool, they’re nocturnal and are pretty inactive.
Numbers sound good, i'm pretty sure you can keep a harem of Bolivian Rams.
When kept in numbers and with plenty of hiding places KuhlI Loaches are quite active during the day. I'd still get 10 :D I doubt the Rams will mind.

MedicMike

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are you wanting to stay a community tank or cichlids? The tank looks nice btw! I like the idea of the pearls or cichlids.

New Threads