55 Gallon Tank Stocking A 55g?

n8r

Reaction score
Hi!
I just got a 55g tank and was looking for recommendations on what to stock it with, suggestions?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Drilled for sump or not? A tank of this size does best with that configuration. As for what to stock it with it all depends on what route you want to go.

FOWLR

Take your pick of Dwarf or Pygmy Angels (although I would avoid the Bi-Color or Tibicen Dwarf as they get much bigger).
If your budget and patience permits, Longnose Atlantic Butterflyfish aka Caribbean Butterflyfish would be a unique and great addition
Halichoeres Wrasse (ie Yellow, Melanurus, Christmas aka H.Claudia, Red Lined)
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
Flasher Wrasse
Any Blenny
Most Gobies
Any Firefish/Dartfish
Basslets (ie Royal Gramma, Black Cap)
Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish
Any Cardinalfish
Hawkfish (ie Flame, Longnose)

For Reef Only:

Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, Flame Angel, Potter's Angel or Cherubfish (WITH CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!! They may still nibble on corals, but these tend to do better)
Halichoeres Wrasse (they will leave Corals alone but are likely to make a snack of inverts)
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
Flasher Wrasse
Firefish/Dartfish-very shy and timid and could easily be bullied by most of the other fish on this list
Most Gobies
Any Blenny
Hawkfish-They will eat smaller fish and possibly inverts
Basslets-I don't recommend them with Firefish as they are likely to bully them
Cardinalfish
Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! Congratulations!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but due to the width of a standard 55g, this tank size doesn't really open up to very large fish. I just have to get that out of the way because a lot of advice, regarding tangs, in particular, will say that a 4-foot long tank is what you need... and that's what you've got, but it is still too narrow for most tangs. Tangs come up because they are just so darn popular, so if you've got a mind for one, be sure to stick with the smallest varieties, like a Tomini for example.

Tangs are kinda jerky and prone to illness though, so my #1 recommendation is to have a look at the wrasse family. These fish are simply gorgeous and though they too can be aggressive, they don't have a razor fin to harass others with like your good ol' yellow tang does. And as I write this, I see one of our best advisors on stocking larger tanks has given you lots of food for thought. See how @Jesterrace did not include tangs in his lists?

I do apologize. I am so not the tang police, I just hate to see a good aquarist put themselves in a tough spot.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can second the wrasses. They are the only fish where I have more than one variety in my tank (Blue Star Leopard Wrasse and Melanurus Wrasse). I also agree that Tangs are out as you can't provide a long term home for them and they are very likely to turn aggressive in a tank of that size and enforce it with size and their sharp scalpels in their tails. Saw this first hand with my jerk of a Yellow Tang.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom