Stocking A 55 Peaceful Tank Ideas

rjkgoats

Reaction score
I'm working on finishing my 55 gallon. It has a hob and undergravel filters. When I'm done I'm hopping for a mix of easy to care for real plants driftwood and fake plants. And a moss ball or 2.
curently have 5 male guppies.
Thinking about adding
-6 Corry cats maybe 9 if I can't find a differnt bottom dwellers
-tetras
----neon tetra 6 to 10
----- Undecided on kinds
-Dwarf gourmI 1 or if 2 is OK together
-Glass catfish??
Any ideas? I really would love a cichlid and heard there not agressive. So I'm really open to ideas. I want a community tank with lots of activity and color.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bolivian Ram? Only one DG. Males will fight and females are hard to find.

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
Bolivian Ram? Only one DG. Males will fight and females are hard to find.
My LFS only had females honey gouramis lol. I had to drive farther to petco to finally find male honey gouramis.

OP
R

rjkgoats

Reaction score
I already have 5 guppies so have to stock around them. I went to pets mart and found Bolivian rams so if there there when I'm done stocking I figured its best they be last. I want to look into the bristle nose pleco. We had a pleco long time ago wrong one but loved him so would love to have 1 agian. I also bought 6 skirt tetras 3 gold 3 black if that changes anything. Plus got 6 ghost shrimp lol. And I did not know I can put so many gouramis in so as long as the skirt tetras don't change anything they will be on my list.

OP
R

rjkgoats

Reaction score
Here is my tank and a few of the tetras in there. They really don't move around a lot lol.
17a1da3949b4d9b5f000f607588427fa.jpg
eac40ba2ecdaa6358549e02cc59aa32c.jpg

PlantedTank

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want a colorful peaceful fish I'd suggest getting a pair of German Blue Ram Cichlids. I have them with my rummynose and corys in my 55 and they are my favorite fish! Insane coloration!

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
PlantedTank said:
If you want a colorful peaceful fish I'd suggest getting a pair of German Blue Ram Cichlids. I have them with my rummynose and corys in my 55 and they are my favorite fish! Insane coloration!
The german blue rams would need warmer water than the skirt tetras, unfortunately.

OP
R

rjkgoats

Reaction score
May have to give my daughter the skirt tetras lol I really want a cichlid I think there such a cool fish

FishFish221

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aquatickeeper said:
How about:

8 skirt tetras
8 zebra danios
5 guppies
2-3 honey gouramis
2 bolivian rams
14 panda cories
1 BN pleco
20 ghost shrimp
I would skip the ghost shrimps. I tried adding 5 ghost shrimp in my tank (that has black skirt tetras), after 2 days, none were left and one of the black skirts got fat.

OP
R

rjkgoats

Reaction score
Aquatic keeper I love that stocking idea. It sounds just about perfect. I think I may 6 to 7 albino corries and 6 to 7 panda cories. Since we have a black bottom the albino should pop more. Fishfish I actually but 6 ghost with the tetras and lost 2 the second day found them at the bottom. But the rest are still kicking lol.

OP
R

rjkgoats

Reaction score
I might also bring the number of cories down to 9 and keep the tetras at 6 and ads something else that swims in the middle or top. Seems a lot of bottom activity. Maybe a small school of 6 neon tetras.

THE HABITAT

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bristlenose are great plecos but you may also consider a Clown or even a Rubberlip..if their temp compatible...Rubberlips are not shy...I have one and a BN and I see the rubberlip more often...he's hilarious when he's munching algae off the glass...reminds me of pacman Chomp chomp chomp!!!

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would do just one big cory species school. So, I would go with 14 panda cories or 12-14 albino cories. Also, why keep the cory school down to 9? I'm curious.

OP
R

rjkgoats

Reaction score
So I found a lfs in my area today and after a lot of talking I think I may just change my plans completely around. I fell in love with angelfish along time ago. Which I thought I could not have. So after talking with the owner I can have angels. But I need to get rid of the guppies. But she said it's best to keep similar sized and temper fish in there with them. I guess there more like a simI aggressive tank setup idk. Guess I need to make a new post and do some research.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom