Stocking A 55 Gallon SW Tank...

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by cm11599ps, Mar 18, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I've really been considering converting my tank from fresh to salt. I've got a bunch of books out from the library on saltwater tanks and am doing a ton of research before doing anything.

Some of the fish I like are Butterfly fish, all sorts of Tangs, Triggerfish, Lionfish, Clownfish, Seahorses and others.

Would any of these guys be OK with the others? Is there anything to avoid as far as compatibility?

I currently have a basic fluorescent hood and 2 Aquaclear 500 (110) filters.

I'm still doing research but was wondering about the tank mates I posted above going into a 55 gallon.

2. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

Out of the above list you gave I would say some species of tangs and clownfish would be ok for a 55gal. Also you might want to look at damselfish, wrasses, angelfish, hawkfish,blennies, and chromis.

3. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

No seahorses-they require species only tanks and they're hard to take care of.

NO tirggers in 65 IMO. Too risky. The bigger the less agressive triggers are.

Tangs are OK, but only one at maximum. Nothing bigger than a blue or yellow tang IMO.

Lionfihsh-OK, but no clowns, invertebrates, or smallerfishes.

Also, look into dwarf angelfish not normal angelfish.

Butterflies are fine.

____

I would only put one large fish in a 55. (I would not put any IMO, but still its your choice) so if you were to have a yellow tang, no blue or any other tangs, no butterflies, and certainly no triggers.

4. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Valued Member Member

Really depends on if your gonna make it a reef tank or a Fish Only With Live Rock tank.

As far as I know, most butterfly fish (aside from the copperband i think) and trigger fish are NOT reef safe, meaning they will eat coral and/or inverts.

as for the lionfish, you could do that if you kept it with one or two other fish around the same size.

Tangs need A LOT of swimming room and the only tank that is really suitable for a 55 gallon is the Yellow tang, but even that is pushing it.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a 57 gal reef tank, so stocking options for me are very similar to you.

It has taken me a LONG time to figure out what I want in my tank, and I'm still not even sure about my stocking list so far. And I have been planning for like 2+ months and havent even put any saltwater in the tank yet (Although tomorrow I am hopefully going out to buy about 30-35 gallons of water to put in the tank and the rest later on in the week.)

5. ATP

agree with posted above, but a little more options
    Butterflies:copper band, pyramid butterflies, bannerfish (Heniochus diphreutes....acumatus is not reef safe) Most other butterflies are hit and miss.

Truggers:Mostly hit and miss, but there are some spicies that are morelikely to not eat corals, invertebrates, but you might find problems of agression when they're adult and might also eat smaller fishes. (take precaution as they might bight you when they're scared)

Lion: Dwarfs or any kind of samller ones are find, but no volitan. Make sure also that all your other fish is bigger than the mouth of the lion. (take precaution when handling tha tank as this fish is poisonous)

Tangs:yellow tang, kole tang are ok. Others I would not

6. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

OK, looks like it will be a 46 bowfront instead. I'm going to check it out Saturday. Any ideas on what exactly to stock in there? I've never done saltwater before but have doen fresh for close to 20 years.

Choices are not limited to what I posted above either, bit a clown would be nice.

7. ATP

What I would do is:
    a pair of clowns
    three saphire damsel
    three green chromis
    maybe a neon goby
    some sort of dottyback (might take it out depending on filtration)
    last fish would be a flame angel:)

and of course...tons of live rock. Meaning like liverock is stacked to the top at the back atleast :) so it would look nice with the angel swimming through and out the rocks

8. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

lol, looks like I'm back to stoxking the 55 as a SW. I'd like to get a clown with an anemone. That is probably a definite.

Other than that, the jury is still out on it.

9. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Valued Member Member

nems should only be introduced to mature tanks with stable parameters

what sort of clowns you looking at?
    my personal favourites are Clarkii Clownfish (Yellowtail Clownfish, an australian species but common in aquarium trade) and the Tomato Clownfish.

You could stock your tank however dude, just make sure you read up on each species of coral, fish or invert before you buy it on a website like www.liveaquaria.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice