Stocking A 48 Gallon Tank (120x36x45)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Chloesynnett, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Chloesynnett

ChloesynnettNew MemberMember

Stocking a 48 gallon tank (120X36X45)

2. Melmoth666

Melmoth666New MemberMember

What kind of arrangement are you looking for? A lot of one type of fish, a diverse community, or a couple large showpieces?

3. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

I don't really know mind I just want it to be mesmerising and like fish with personality.

I don't really know/mind

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  4. Melmoth666

Well. There is a lot you can do then. I have a community tank. When stocking I considered all 3 levels of strata. I have Danios that stay at the top of the water column, Serpae and Black Skirt Tetra that school in the mid leavel, Cory Cats and Loaches that dwell at the bottom. Then I have Dwarf Gouramis, Mollys, and Siamese Algae eaters that go wherever they want. I made certain I only purchased fish that do not grow too big, like the black java loach, and the tetras...most of my fish max out at 3-4" They all get along quite well and it is a true community tank.

My brother has a 150g tank with just Frontosa Cichlids. Its beautiful for different reasons. Its all the same fish, but they are fun to watch intereacting together like they do in nature.

OR- you could do 2-3 goldfish. 50G is just about perfect for 3 mid-sized goldfish. They are super fun to watch...but DIRTY and eat everything.

I think you need to give some thought into what you (and/or family) would enjoy and then come back. Fishlore is a great community to learn and bounce ideas around, but ultimately its your own preferences and aesthetic that will drive your stocking plan...(and BIOLOAD of course)

5. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

There are some fish that I really like such a Gouramis but sure what to put them with. Do you think I could keep two types of Gouramis such as honey and a dwarf or pearl gouramis in a 48g tank? I've been looking into it and some say yes and others say no. I would probably have 2 females to one male honey and either on male or female pearl or dwarf. I would want to keep them with some fish like white shirt tetras, either common or balloon mollies and spotted blue eyes or something like that but I'm open to other fish

Also Your tank sounds really cool what size is it

6. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

7. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

That would be a show stopper of a tank but I am not wanting to get into cichlids just yet otherwise I would get an Oscar and a bigger tank

I've been looking into gouramis and found you can sometimes keep two species together. I plan for the tank to be planted and I know the gouramis might eat the shrimp. Not sure if this would be overstocked.
    A pair of Pearl Gourami and a small group of female honey gouramis.
    Kuhli Loach
    Amano Shrimp
    white skirt tetras
    cloud minnows

Maybe some mollies??
    some people say you can keep gouramis and mollies together but I'm not too sure.

8. Melmoth666

I think your stocking plan looks good. I have Dwarf Gourami living with Honey Gourami and they get along. They are still juveniles though, so time will tell. They also live beside my 5 mollies. I don't think you will have any issues in general with the fish you listed...just watch the gouramis. They really are fish by fish when it comes to temperment.

9. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

How many of each do you think I should get also what type of colour of mollies do you think will look the best with the other fish

I've been looking into gouramis and found you can sometimes keep two species together. I plan for the tank to be planted and I know the gouramis might eat the shrimp. Not sure if this would be overstocked. How many of each fish.
    A pair of Pearl Gourami and a small group of female honey gouramis.
    Kuhli Loach
    Amano Shrimp
    white skirt tetras
    cloud minnows
    mollies
    48 gallon tank (120X36X45)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  10. Calwhovian

CalwhovianNew MemberMember

It would be a bit helpful if you gave us the number of shrimp, tetras, minnows, and mollies :)

I think to be safe it would be better if you just got the shrimp and loaches along with the gouramis as the minimum for the pearl gouramis are 30 gallons, and it's better to keep tanks a bit understocked. Mollies are also known as fin nippers, and if they bother the gouramis (especially males) the gouramis will attack them. Get the gouramis, loaches, and shrimp first and if they're doing great, get tetras, minnows, or guppies. Hope this helped :)

11. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

I've read that letting other fish settle territory and then add the gouramis after to stop fighting in the tank and I'm not sure about how many of each fish what do you think
    Gouramis tend to swim a the top of the tank
    shrimp and loaches at the bottom
    mollies swim everywhere and I talked to someone who kept mollies and gouramis just fine without any aggression
    minnows are usually top and mid
    skirt tetras usually swim mid

could get rid of Minnows but I really want the other types of fish
    I don't want to push it but do like the look of marble hatchet fish and would probably replace the minnows with them. They tend to swim at the top of the tank where food is

X6 Marbled hatchet fish or white cloud minnows
    X2 Pearl gourami
    X2 Honey Gourami
    X8 Kuhil loaches
    X10 white skirt tetras
    X6 mollies
    X6 Amano shrimp
    is that overstocked

12. Melmoth666

Its a bit overstocked. What is your filtration capacity? I would start with the gouramis and mollies. I like the dalmation mollies, personally, but there are so many colors its your choice. Make sure you have a plan for Mollys' offspring. They will breed every 22 days. Gouramis and loaches should eat the fry---but every once and a while...espscially if you have a shrimp colony, one or two will make it to adulthood.

After about 2-3 weeks bring in the loaches. Then about a month after that, once your plants are well rooted, bring in the shrimp. If you get a bed of java moss and some caves the shrimp should start a little colony and the gouramis will leave them alone.

bring in your hatchet fish next...look at the temperature for whiteclouds...I think its incompatable with some of the other fish you have chosen,

Then, if you think your aquarium is ready, add the tetras last. the number Tetras would be based on your biolad after 2-3 months. If you are struggling with water quality don;t add them at all. You could need a bigger tank.

13. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

I haven't brought the tank yet what filtration would you recommend I don't want to get everything until I know what I'm doing.
    I was thinking about adding the shrimp first, then loaches, white shirt tetras, marble hatchet fish, mollies and then the gouramis last because I've read that if you add then last they are less likely to attack the other fish and I was thinking of putting in the least aggressive fish in first to stop fighting. What do I about it being overstocked?

Stocking a 48 gallon tank (120X36X45)
    X2 Pearl gourami
    X2 Honey Gourami
    X8 Kuhil loaches
    X10 white skirt tetras
    X6 mollies
    X6 Amano shrimp
    is that overstocked

14. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Keep up on your water changes and have good filters and be good.

15. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

Cool thanks

16. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

Stock one 3 telescope goldfish, 10 to 15 platys or cloud minnows or gold barbs
    Stock two 2 pearl gourami, 2 honey gourami, 6 mollies, 8 kuhli loaches, 6 shrimp and 10 white skirt tetras

17. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Several threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic. It gets very confusing having multiple threads on the same subject, members can follow & better advise if all the information is kept in one place.

18. Melmoth666

Before we get into filtration or tank size, may ask are you familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle?

19. OP
    OP
    Chloesynnett

I know what it is but I'm not an expert

20. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Pearl gouramis need warmer water than the skirt tetras.
    Keep an eye out for any aggression from the mollies, they might bother the gouramis.
    Stock 1 is overstocked. 3 fancy goldfish is fully stocked (if not a little overstocked) for a 50 gallon tank alone. Adult fancy goldfish are big enough to eat white cloud mountain minnows.

I would do something like this
    4 honey gouramis
    3 female mollies
    15 white skirt tetras
    10-15 neon tetras or zebra danios
    10-15 kuhli loaches
    6-10 amano shrimp

or
    2 fancy goldfish
    3 dojo loaches or 1 bristlenose or rubberlip pleco