Stocking a 47.5 Gallon?

BlackNotebookTanks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello all.
I need help with compatibility and stocking a 47.5 gallon tank. Suggestions Welcome!
I currently have:
5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
1 Tiger Nerite snail
1 BN Pleco (Hes still a wee baby aww)
6 Cardinal Tetras and
2 Fancy Tail guppies

I'd like to add 6-7 Kuhli Loaches (My dream Fish) and I was looking at a few other fish species like the Celestial Pearl Danio and Gardeneri Killifish. From what I've heard, the CPDs do well in a heavilt planted tank and that's is my long term goal for this tank so any ideas? If I were to get some CPDs I'd get 4-5 of them and a pair of the killifish. I have no idea if I'm overstocked because some people live by the inch per gallon rule, but others disregard it completely so if someone could help me with that, that would be fantastic! The tank is fully cycled, (and trust me I've learnt my lesson about adding fish before its cycled) and its a Juwel RIO 180L Tank. I have plants in there, a sandy substrate, and a 200W Juwel Heater. My pH is 7.9 and temp is 27C. I also have some floating plants in there and I have two T8 flourescent tubes, both daylights. One came with the hood and the other is a Power-Glo 30W. The filter is a Juwel bioflow that came in the tank.
Many thanks!

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BlackNotebookTanks said:
Hello all.
I need help with compatibility and stocking a 47.5 gallon tank. Suggestions Welcome!
I currently have:
1 Tiger Nerite snail
6 Cardinal Tetras and
2 Fancy Tail guppies

I'd like to add 6-7 Kuhli Loaches (My dream Fish) and I was looking at a few other fish species like the Celestial Pearl Danio and Gardeneri Killifish. From what I've heard, the CPDs do well in a heavilt planted tank and that's is my long term goal for this tank so any ideas? If I were to get some CPDs I'd get 4-5 of them and a pair of the killifish. I have no idea if I'm overstocked because some people live by the inch per gallon rule, but others disregard it completely so if someone could help me with that, that would be fantastic! The tank is fully cycled, (and trust me I've learnt my lesson about adding fish before its cycled) and its a Juwel RIO 180L Tank. I have plants in there, a sandy substrate, and a 200W Juwel Heater. My pH is 7.9 and temp is 27C. I also have some floating plants in there and I have two T8 flourescent tubes, both daylights. One came with the hood and the other is a Power-Glo 30W. The filter is a Juwel bioflow that came in the tank.
Many thanks!
Well first of all kuhli loaches are suppose to be in groups of 5-6 or more if possible(you did your research so you can add them if you have the right pH and temp for them. It looks like you do. What kind of fish are you looking for. Here is the problem. A lot of schooling fish like slightly acidic pH. What do you want the fish to meet? Like do you want him to be the centerpiece or do you want to see a massive school of fish!(I love that idea better in my opinion) the inch per a gallon rule is way outdated. Think of an 18 inch fish. So would you get an 18g tank for that fish? No that would be cramming the fish and will slow down the growth rate tremulously.

Aichmalotizo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlackNotebookTanks said:
Hello all.
I currently have:
1 Tiger Nerite snail
6 Cardinal Tetras and
2 Fancy Tail guppies

Many thanks!
Anders247 is the stocking guru. One issue I see is that wcmm are cold water fish, like goldfish cold Coldwater. They will not appreciate the temps needed by the fancy Guppies and maybe the pleco. Not sure about their temp range.
Personally I would remove the wcmm, and up the Cardinal tetra school to around 12, add 8 kuhlis, keep the 2 Guppies,maybe add some more, and the bn, and I can't give you any advice on the killifisj xD. Have you considered a centerpiece fish like a dg, angelfish, a dwarf cichlid, or a larger gourami like opaline?
So
12-15cardinal
1bn pleco
8-12kuhli
2-6guppy
???killifish

Sarah73 said:
Well first of all kuhli loaches are suppose to be in groups of 5-6 or more if possible(you did your research so you can add them if you have the right pH and temp for them. It looks like you do. What kind of fish are you looking for. Here is the problem. A lot of schooling fish like slightly acidic pH. What do you want the fish to meet? Like do you want him to be the centerpiece or do you want to see a massive school of fish!(I love that idea better in my opinion) the inch per a gallon rule is way outdated. Think of an 18 inch fish. So would you get an 18g tank for that fish? No that would be cramming the fish and will slow down the growth rate tremulously.
Most soft water acidic ph fish will readily adapt to a harder water and a high ph. Not all of course, some are very sensitive, but the most popular and common fish have no issue with this as long as properly acclimated. I do agree with inch per gallon is outdated.

Edit:lxwxh of tank please? Really helps with stocking

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Agreed with Aichmalotizo

Remove the WCMM's immediately as 27C is way too warm for them. Kuhli's are great and in your size tank I'd say you can go up to about 10-12 rather easily especially considering they aren't sharing the bottom with anything else. The fact you are going to make this a planted tank the kuhli's will love.

As far as other fish go, you'll want to avoid any semi aggressive fish since you have fancy tail guppies. Most cichlids will have a go at those. However, most of your dwarf cichlids like bolivian rams and curviceps/dorsigeras as well as apistogrammas are pretty peaceful and shouldn't pose an issue.

Have you considered some of the larger gourami? You have a nice large tank so you could do a pair or trio (just one male though) of pearl gourami, thicklip gourami, or banded gourami. You could do a male/female pair of moonlight gourami as well I'd think.

BlackNotebookTanks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sarah73 said:
The inch per a gallon rule is way outdated. Think of an 18 inch fish. So would you get an 18g tank for that fish? No that would be cramming the fish and will slow down the growth rate tremulously.
I use the inch per gal rule as a guide line for small fish. Obviously nobody is going to put a Bn Pleco in a 6x6" tank lol. I'm only reallt trying to use it as a loose guide for smaller fish like the CPDs.

tyguy7760 said:
Remove the WCMM's immediately as 27C is way too warm for them.
I have a problem, I have no where to put them. Other than a 2.5 gal Shrimp tank at 26C... I know they prefer colder water, and starting out I had them all in the 2.5 gal, with no heater. However, I wanted to make a mini shrimp tank (That was my goal) And after learning about stocking tanks and that they could tolerate higher temperatures I put them into the bigger tank. Will they be okay? I have no money, and no way to get another tank (The rents won't allow it seeing as I put a big tank in the kitchen) Whats the best thing i could do for them? I would try to at least switch the heaters from both tanks around but the shrimp's heater is a 22W and theirs is a 200w... Oh man...

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Can you take them back to your pet store?

BlackNotebookTanks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
tyguy7760 said:
Can you take them back to your pet store?
Not a chance! The closest one id be mildly willing to give them to is 2+ hours away. Plus, I've become way too attached to them. They are my babies :'(

Aichmalotizo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlackNotebookTanks said:
Not a chance! The closest one id be mildly willing to give them to is 2+ hours away. Plus, I've become way too attached to them. They are my babies :'(
You're gonna have to sneak another tank into the house then. The lifespan of the wcmm is severely affected by such a high temp, they won't live anywhere near as long as they should. Remember.. It may not be better, but it is always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. How I did it. One day, I brought home a 65gal. Lots of what the going around before much grumbling and acceptance. 1 week later, bring two more tanks into house, once again without saying anything xD,and the cycle repeated xD.

BlackNotebookTanks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Aichmalotizo said:
You're gonna have to sneak another tank into the house then. The lifespan of the wcmm is severely affected by such a high temp, they won't live anywhere near as long as they should. Remember.. It may not be better, but it is always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. How I did it. One day, I brought home a 65gal. Lots of what the going around before much grumbling and acceptance. 1 week later, bring two more tanks into house, once again without saying anything xD,and the cycle repeated xD.
I just don't feel right doing that though. The only possible thing I COULD do, is to move the RCS into the 180L, remove the heater from the 2.5Gal (12L) they are currently in and transfer the minnow in there. I know it's overstocking and I have no idea how long they'd be in there for. Any ideas?

Aichmalotizo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlackNotebookTanks said:
I just don't feel right doing that though. The only possible thing I COULD do, is to move the RCS into the 180L, remove the heater from the 2.5Gal (12L) they are currently in and transfer the minnow in there. I know it's overstocking and I have no idea how long they'd be in there for. Any ideas?
2.5 gallons is nowhere near large enough. I mean, I wouldn't leave them in there for longer than a day tiny. They like to swim around, would die faster in tiny tank then they would in overly hot tank. Squash the guilt. Guilt can only get you when you think about it. There is no guilt to be had here. You got fish, and you need to take proper care of them is all. You just need a 20 gallon tank, and a 30x12 inch spot in your room to put it. Make it seem tiny and not a big deal, yet severely needed. Gild your tongue in silver, and speak with a voice of honey. Or nag incessantly. Either one could work

Megg01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BlackNotebookTanks said:
It is your parents home, and if they don't want another tank then you need to respect that. You also need to provide proper care for your fish, and I think in this case that means rehoming/returning. Sorry!

BlackNotebookTanks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If I got a new heater, at 24C, (which was my original plan) would that make any difference?

I know their temp range is between 15-22C and 28C is unbelievable for the little guys. Would 24C be any better for these poor little Milly's?

Megg01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BlackNotebookTanks said:
I know their temp range is between 15-22C and 28C is unbelievable for the little guys. Would 24C be any better for these poor little Milly's?
It would be better, but still not ideal. I'm not sure how it would affect your other fish.

Aichmalotizo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlackNotebookTanks said:
If I got a new heater, at 24C, (which was my original plan) would that make any difference?

It would be better, but that's right at the minimum for a Cardinal tetra. 24 celsius is around 74.5f, Cardinals are 74-85, Guppies are good down to 63 according to seriously fish,and the pleco down to 70. Is there any way you can rehome the cardinals, replace them with neon tetra and also rehome the pleco or is that just not an option 3ither?

BlackNotebookTanks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you all for your answers. I cannot rehome anyone as I'm only 16, not allowed to drive and not near any good LFSs... I've bought an adjustable heater. 24C is lower for everyone else so I could try 24.5C or 25C. I might have a friend who can take them in Galway. She is a college student studying marine science and also keeps Minnows. I've been giving her advice on their care, rather than properly looking after my own... :'( Until then the Minnows will have to put up with the not so great temps. Thank you again for all your advice. It did go a smidge off topic but oh well ^_^

Aichmalotizo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlackNotebookTanks said:
Thank you all for your answers. I cannot rehome anyone as I'm only 16, not allowed to drive and not near any good LFSs... I've bought an adjustable heater. 24C is lower for everyone else so I could try 24.5C or 25C. I might have a friend who can take them in Galway. She is a college student studying marine science and also keeps Minnows. I've been giving her advice on their care, rather than properly looking after my own... :'( Until then the Minnows will have to put up with the not so great temps. Thank you again for all your advice. It did go a smidge off topic but oh well ^_^
I'm incapable of staying on topic. It's a failing of mine. Brain to busy jumping and hopping around. Yeah, being unable to drive yourself does put a major crimp in your ability to rehome. I would definitely ask your friend, if she can't you could try Craigslist, but I would ask your parents first.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom