Stocking A 45 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Barry Wilson, May 19, 2018.

1. Barry Wilson

Barry Wilson New Member Member

I'm on the verge of buying a new tank and the space I have in which to put it is only 44 inches wide; therefore, the widest standard tank I can use is 36 inches wide, which means I'll probably be getting a 45 gallon tank. Got it?

My original plan was to stock it with African cichlids with a pair of Yellow Labs as the focal points. I also considered Oscars (love 'em), but after reading posts on this site, I now know that 45 gallons is too small for Africans or Oscars. Sigh!

Now I'm thinking along these possible lines:
    • Maybe a tank of colorful schooling fish like neons or cardinals
    • Maybe some angels (just not as colorful as I like)
    I would enjoy reading your thoughts on schooling fish or other fish that would thrive in a 45 gallon tank.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello! :) Welcome to Fishlore!
    Why not try this stocking?

2 Angelfish
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    10 Cherry Barbs
    10 Bronze Cory
    2 Bristlenose Pleco

3. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

You could do 1 Angel, 8 to 10 Cardinals and 6 Sterbai cories and a couple of Nerite snails. Temperature 78-80F. Just a thought.

4. OP
    OP
    Barry Wilson

Thanx. I had forgotten about Harlequins.

5. OP
    OP
    Barry Wilson

Thanks, Varmint.

6. OP
    OP
    Barry Wilson

Okay! Yesterday I found a 65 gallon tank that is only 36-37 inches wide and is on sale at a local store, so I'm going to try to get that instead. It's 18 inches deep (front to back). Is this still too small for a couple of Oscars?

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, that's too small for even one oscar, period.

8. OP
    OP
    Barry Wilson

Thanks, Fanatic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice