Stocking a 40 Gallon Tank

marcella612

Hi,

I am looking to stock our 40 gallon tank. We just had goldfish in it but he died this last weekend :( I wanted to have an Angelfish as the centerpiece so I was wondering if this stocking list makes sense.

The tank is not a 40 gallon breeder, but a 40 gallon tall. The measurements are 36"L x 16" H x 18" D.

I was thinking the following:

1 x Angelfish
10 x Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish
15 x Harlequin Rasboras

Please let me know if that would work.
I am thinking about getting a Koi Angelfish. .

Thank you!!
Marcell

SouthAmericanCichlids

Angelfish are very social creatures, I would advise getting at least 4. 2 and 3 there can be a lot of bullying. If you really want one centerpiece fish maybe a blood parrot. Or a blood parrot pair.

marcella612

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Angelfish are very social creatures, I would advise getting at least 4. 2 and 3 there can be a lot of bullying. If you really want one centerpiece fish maybe a blood parrot. Or a blood parrot pair.
I would love to have more than 1 but i did not think I could have multiple because of the tank size

SouthAmericanCichlids

You definetley could have 4 angels but you would also have to lower the other schools count a little bit, or instaed of the harlequins, maybe cories ottos or khuli loaches.

marcella612

Would angelfish and pearl gourami be ok together. I would want just one more type in the tank if possible. I was thinking
4 angelfish
5 pearl gouramis
then one more type

andy305mia

I had 1 angelfish in a 40 breeder which is what you have. Long story short, the tank is not tall enough. Angelfish get really big, 16" of height is not ideal. I gave it to my friend and he/she is happy in a 75 now. I think the rest of your stocking works and you still have room for a good size school of cory and some kind of center piece fish like a pair of Bolivian rams would be great. Angelfish get to be 10" tall or more, factor in substrate and plants and decorations and well you get where I am going, lets not even get into water changes.

marcella612

andy305mia said:
I had 1 angelfish in a 40 breeder which is what you have. Long story short, the tank is not tall enough. Angelfish get really big, 16" of height is not ideal. I gave it to my friend and he/she is happy in a 75 now. I think the rest of your stocking works and you still have room for a good size school of cory and some kind of center piece fish like a pair of Bolivian rams would be great. Angelfish get to be 10" tall or more, factor in substrate and plants and decorations and well you get where I am going, lets not even get into water changes.
What if I went with this:

2x Bolivian rams
8 x Neon Dwarf rainbowfish
10 x sterbai cory
15 x Harlequin Rasboras

SouthAmericanCichlids

The biggest tank I would have rams as the centerpiece for is a 30g. Because they are still smaller, they won't seem like the big centerpiece, just another smaller fish. But that's just my opinion.

marcella612

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
The biggest tank I would have rams as the centerpiece for is a 30g. Because they are still smaller, they won't seem like the big centerpiece, just another smaller fish. But that's just my opinion.
What would you suggest for the centrepiece fish with the other fish that I listed

SouthAmericanCichlids

The pearl gourami and a pair of parrot fish I feel are the best options.

andy305mia

I have 2 GBR in my 40 breeder and they look great. The bigger the fish you put in, the smaller the tank is going to look. Just my 2 cents. 2 parrot fish in a 40 breeder is pushing it, and if they don't get along forget about it...never mind anything else in the tank. They get big and can be nasty, I had one for a long time in a 55 and it was huge. Keep in mind you will have plants, substrate and decorations in the tank taking up space as well. My rams are big a good 3" each they look perfect for my size tank IMO when you get too big it has a tendancy to overshadow the tank, again my opinion. Your stocking idea is great BTW, let us know what you decided on

Bonkers

marcella612 said:
What if I went with this:

2x Bolivian rams
8 x Neon Dwarf rainbowfish
10 x sterbai cory
15 x Harlequin Rasboras
Angels and blue rams get on well in my experience. Sterbais love that temp as well. I have harlequins but I don’t like them as much as I thought I would.

andy305mia

Bonkers said:
Angels and blue rams get on well in my experience. Sterbais love that temp as well. I have harlequins but I don’t like them as much as I thought I would.
you can do 15 rummynose tetra as well, super tight schooling fish, very neat to watch. I have some in my 40 breeder. They would do great in higher temps as well

Top Bottom