Stocking a 40 gallon breeder

CatfishCrazed

Hello all I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium that needs stocking! I have an idea but it may be to much.
2 Musk Turtles
5 Nanus Corys
6 AgassizI Corys
3 Peacock Gudgeon
1 Rio Negro Pleco
Is this to much? Hides will be provided that the fish can access but the turtles can't and my turtles are more scavengers then hunters!

Dovah

Welcome to FishLore!

I personally wouldn't keep turtles with fish unless you want them to be eaten. I kept a turtle with my fish when I didn't know any better and slowly but surely he would eat them all.

I'm horrible with stocking suggestions so maybe this bump can attract someone better.

MikeRad89

I haven't seen Anders247 on today but he can help you out.

I know that keeping bottom dwellers with the musks isn't going to be a good idea though. They'll eat all the corys sooner rather than later. Some quick mid-top dwelling schooling fish are going to be a much safer bet.

Anders247

Welcome to fishlore!
Your entire stock is a bunch of bottom dwellers, but that wouldn't save them from turtles. Turtles will eat fish and produce a ton of waste, add a pleco to that and you have a poop factory in your tank.

I3uckethead

Musk Turtles are opportunistic predators when kept in aquariums. And really, 40 gallon is not enough for 2 turtles unless you're planning on doing water changes every three days,
You could do 1 turtle, and a school of feeder minnows.

CatfishCrazed

Ok thanks

I've seen plenty of musks with Corys and nothing has happened to them.

Anders247

Ok thanks
I've seen plenty of musks with Corys and nothing has happened to them.
Aren't musk turtles from the US, or....?
And have you seen those cories live their whole lifespans with a turtle?

Dovah

If you don't want your fish to be eaten, don't keep them with a carnivore like a musk turtle.

aliray

Yes musk turtles are natives to the USA. In a tank the fish will get eaten. The turtles should be in a turtle tank only and not with fish unless the fish are meant to be dinner for the turtles Welcome to the forum and glad you decided to join us. Alison

Anders247

In that case, cories and the rest of these fish are tropical and shouldn't be kept with temperate animals that require cooler temps.

CatfishCrazed

Aren't musk turtles from the US, or....?
And have you seen those cories live their whole lifespans with a turtle?

Yea a user on YouTube called bauribob had Corys with musk turtles

I3uckethead

YouTube is home to morons. A YouTube video means little. I could take a video of piranhas living peacefully with neon tetras.
Until dinner time.

Anders247

Yeah, never trust 'Youtube fish keepers' imo.

CatfishCrazed

Ok he just seemed like a respectable keeper

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom