Stocking A 38 Gallon Freshwater Tank...

1. K

Kayla Callicott Initiate Member

Hi! I have been cycling my 38 gallon for about a month and a half now, and my nitrites are beginning to drop (FINALLY!!!). I have an Aqueon Quietflow 50 filter. I have a mix of real and fake plants. I know I want an angelfish and have done lots of research on compatible tank mates. As of right now, I am planning on:
    -1 Angelfish
    -10 Cardinal Tetra
    -5 Kuhli Loaches
    - possibly a Gourami.
    I know the cardinal tetra are kind of risky because they can be seen as a snack to the Angelfish, but I read that if you get the Angel as a juvenile and raise them together, they will see the cardinals as tank mates rather than food. I also have many hiding spots and plants in my tank so I figured the cardinals could hide if it came down to it. Anyways, I had originally planned on getting a Dwarf Gourami, but I read that the Pearl Gourami are much more peaceful. So now I am wondering how a pair of Pearl Gourami would do. I have lots of plants and hiding spots in my tank so I know they would be fine alone, but because I am already getting an Angelfish (who are known to be territorial), I am a little concerned.
    Please let me know what you think or if you have any other recommendations as far as what to stock with. Thank You!

Attached Files:

2. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

Unfortunately, your tank would be overstocked if you were to add a pair of pearl goiramis and an angel. Not only that but the gouramis will become territorial when they start to breed. They will most likely kill off the tetras and harass the angel if he gets to close, which in a 38 really isn’t much space.
    I have heard of angels co existing with smaller fish because they lived with them all their life. Although like humans, fish can eventually get annoyed and just snap.
    You can continue with the single angel and the cardinals with the kuhli loaches.
    Pearl gouramis are really beautiful fish as well, I plan to get a pair for my 46 soon

3. OP
    OP
    K

So do you think a single Pearl Gourami would be okay? or should I just avoid the Gouramis all together?

4. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I’d say avoid the gourami and increase one of your schools by 1 or 2 more fish.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Okay thank you for your help!