Stocking A 37 Gallon?

1. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

I have a 37 gallon that has 2 mollies, 2 platies, and a Mystery Snail. My roommate will take the four fish, and the snail can be moved to another tank if needbe.
    I want this to be a more of a single tank. Either one big fish or a pair. And that's it. I've thought about either a Parrot Cichlid or maybe a couple of Figure 8 puffer fish. I've been advised against the Parrot. But I'm open to other options. I like colorful active fish.
    No Angelfish. Everyone says Angelfish, and they aren't interesting to me.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

A few German blue rams? They may even spawn.

3. OP
    OP
    Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

@Discus-Tang I'm currently getting over the death of my German Rams. I had a pair in my 20 gallon, barely an inch. I had them for about a month before they suddenly got sick and died. Only then did I find out that they can be sensitive. I've wanted Rams forever and my heart broke when I came home to them dead....
    Honestly I was hoping for something bigger....?

4. Discus-Tang

5. OP
    OP
    Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

@Discus-Tang Those are pretty! I've had Snakeskin (I think), Opaline, and Dwarf Gouramis in the past. Those Pearls are so stunning! That's definitely an option to consider.

6. Discus-Tang

If you got the pearl gouramis you could leave the mystery snail in there.

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Consider butterfly fish! Certainly can be interesting focal point, and give you the ability to set up a pladuarium.... something very different to look at!

Or even consider some of the smaller snakehead species... may not be avaliable in your area, but if they are.... worthwhile consideration.

Jewel cichlids? Paradise fish (especially one of the more uncommon paradise fish species!), or a giant/king betta?

8. OP
    OP
    Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Butterfly fish are super cool! My mom had an African Butterfly.
    What species of Snake head could I keep? Just so I can see what specifically is an option. I have a local shop that does a lot of custom orders.
    I've had Jewels many many time. So I'll pass.
    Paradise are beautiful but only like one coloring is available in my area normally.
    There are giant Bettas???

9. aussieJJDude

Channa bleheri for example... many more, but that would get you started!

Yep, theres giant bettas. They grow larger than others, around 4 inch plus.

10. OP
    OP
    Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

That rainbow snake head is gorgeous!! Though it needs a big tank? I'm not looking at this as a grow out tank, I want it to stay in it.

11. aussieJJDude

For some reason I thought that you mentioned there was a possibility in an upgrade.... my bad. Yeah, many Channas do appreciate larger tanks, but many European aquarists have kept them in 'small' aqua due to them being rather sedate.

Instead, maybe Microctenopoma fasciolatum may be right up your alley? Or something really different, South American Leaf Fish? Many Ctenopoma sp. Should be fine as well, most maxing out around 6 inch or so.