Stocking A 36g - Advice And Thoughts Needed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by LittleMissSaasha, Aug 4, 2017.

1. LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaashaNew MemberMember

So I have a 140L/roughly 36G tank. It has been cycled and is ready for some more fishy friends. This is the tank I own:

The tank includes a big built-in filter, a heater and Fluval Plant Substrate. Some rocks and driftwood and about 10 live plants (with more on the way as one has appeared to have died plus one will be removed).
    I was going to have some Congo Tetras but I decided against them as the tank was too small for a good-sized group. Here is my current idea:

2 BN Plecos (longfin, 1 albino & 1 black)
    11 Cardinal & Neon Tetras (already in - I have a nice mixed school of these guys with about 6 neons and 5 cardinals)
    4-6 Danios (there are all up 6; mixture of zebras, leopards and a pearl. Two are in quarantine right now due to illness so I may end up with 4) (I may remove these guys later on)
    6 Rummynose Tetras
    4-6 Kuhli Loaches

MAYBE a gourami of some type if I am not overstocked. (I was think 2-3 Sparkling Gouramis maybe)
    OR MAYBE eventually a chocolate gourami, again if I am not overstocked.

There is lots of space and there are plenty of hiding spots for everyone.

Please give me your thoughts! Thank you!

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Hi :)

Personally, I think you have too many schooling fish species for this tank size. I would pick two of your favorite species and rehome the rest. The cardinal tetras and rummy nose tetras prefer warmer water than the other two. I'd also rehome one BN pleco since you may see some territorial issues.

Definitely add a couple more kuhlis loaches as they are much more active and happier in a larger group.

3. josh_dude83

josh_dude83New MemberMember

Glad to hear you are ready to start stocking. The only suggestion I can give is this: General rule, for every inch of fish have a gallon of water. So having a 36 gallon tank equals 36" of fish. So think of the max size of all the above fish, if its greater than 36" total; you are overstocked.

Using your counts:
    Those plecos are what 3-4" max = so thats 8 gallons
    Cardinals/tetras 2" = so if you have 11 already thats 22 gallons of water accounted for leaving you with 14 gallons left.
    Danios 2" = 8-12 gallons
    Rummys 2" = 12 gallons
    kuhlis 4" give or take = recommend at least 4 so 16 gallons

As you can see you might be slightly overstocked going with such a variety and so many of each. Again this is just a general rule. Good filtration, water changes, and a healthy feeding schedule can overcome some of this. I hope I have not put a dark cloud over your ambitions for your tank. Just giving some friendly advice. Kuhli's can sometimes be difficult to keep if you've never had them before. You could avoid that and get some cory's instead. Maybe go with 4 danios and 4 rummys. Hope that all made sense. Keep us posted as to what you end up going with and good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaashaNew MemberMember

Thanks so much fir your help! I will try and keep you guys updated. :D
    For some extra info: I have a large amount of various great filter media, do regular water changes and the fish are fed super varied diets in small amounts once/twice a day (spoilt rotten!) Not to mention the plants - they will help a bit with ammonia hopefully.

I think I will not add the gouramis then - had some issues with their various personalities in the past (one was crazy aggressive and the other far too shy)

I have some experience with owning Khulis so I think I will continue giving them a try, plus my family adores watching the kuhlis haha.
    I will likely remove the danios in the future - maybe sell/rehome them or even just return them to my LFS.

Thanks for the help el337 though I have owned a BN pleco pair before without any issues?

IMG_8561.JPG This is the tank currently by the way. Minus the snails and cucumber. The scratches are from the previous owners who left it in a disgraceful mess when we bought it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  5. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

Unfortunately, this right here is a great example of why the inch-per-gallon thing doesn't work so well... Two plecos have a waaay higher bioload than four kuhlis; their length tells almost nothing about their messiness, activity level, territoriality, etc.

Also, I have not found kuhlis difficult to keep... sometimes a little tricky to accclimate (in my experience), but very hardy once established.

And schooling fish aren't going to be happy in a group of 4...

6. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

That is false and bad information, Doing inch per Gallon is like saying a 30 inch Arowana can live in a 30 Gallon Tank(30 Inchs). Stocks are based on compatibility of temperment, temperature, size, and bio-load + filtration. In that tank 2 Schools would work with a Centerpiece and a small group of Bottom feeders.
    I Would Do-
    8 Rummynose Tetras
    8 Cardinal Tetras
    1 Pearl Gourami
    12 Kuhli Loaches
    Temp.-78'F
    or
    14 Danios(7 Zebra 7 Leopard)
    1 Honey Gourami
    8 Bronze Cories
    Temp.-74'F

7. josh_dude83

josh_dude83New MemberMember

Lance, hence why i said it was a general rule. She did not say she was putting an arowana in the tank. Using a hyperbole to emphasis your point takes away from your point. It's a quick way to determine stocking limits on accurately selected fish for the environment. We can get into technicalities, but it is only meant to be a quick reference. What works for me, might not work for you, but doesn't make it false or bad information. It's also well known and again only a generalization assuming you have already taken into account the compatibility and requirements of the fish.

Also, she already has 11 fish in the tank. Adding another 21 -23 fish in the tank will inevitably lead to fish loss due to overstocking. Either soon, or as the fish grow out.

I agree with you here. I've also had issue with them reacting poorly to water chemistry changes and try to escape the tank. I tend to stay away from them for that reason. I usually go with cory's.

Also, you can use this as a reference too.  

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice