Stocking a 36 Gallon Bowfront

1. Coles Initiate Member

I have been looking around the forums for some suggestions on what to stock my bow front with, but I have yet to find the right stock that stands out for me. I have recently purchased the bow front, and have been cycling it for a few weeks now. All of the water levels are perfect, and I believe it's time to start stocking.

I do have a few fish that I do like, for instance gouramis, angels and a few other types of cichlids, but I am open to all suggestions.

A little about the tank;
    It currently has black & blue gravel, which I am looking into upgrading to aquarium sand. I would eventually like to introduce some live plants to help with the oxygen levels, but I have no knowledge in what I would need to actually do that.

I'm running the filter system that came with the tank, but I am going to be purchasing a bigger size to help with the filtration eventually, once the fish are stocked. There's a black background on the tank and the fake plants & decoration all have a pop of colour, which I would like to see the tank have.

The tank is also heated at 78, but I am open to fish of a higher or lower temperature, as I may buy a new heater that is more customizable.

Thanks in advance!

2. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Based on what you've said you like..I'd do a cut down version of what I'm planning for my 58 gallon.

1 angel fish
    1 german ram
    1 dwarf gourami OR 2 honey gourami
    6-8 sterbai cories OR kuhli loaches
    6-8 medium tetras: diamond, skirt or penguin come to mind

3. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have a 36g bowfront as well. I have one male pearl gourami, 12 cherry barbs, 12 espei rasboras, and a m/f pair of cockatoo cichlids.

4. Coles Initiate Member

I like this suggestion! Just not 100% sure on the tetra choice. Any other suggestions?

I like this one too, but unsure if my LFS has cockatoos :(

5. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

As alternates to the tetras:
    Dwarf neon rainbowfish or forktail rainbowfish
    Emperor tetras? Lemon or rummynose might be just big enough not to get eaten esp if you make sure you get a small angelfish so they have a chance to grow?
    small group of livebearers, platies or swordtails?

6. Coles Initiate Member

I like that option too.
    I might stay away from angels though, and focus on the gouramis. I'm not sure if the rams are available at my lfs either, so still looking for suggestions.

I do however, like cardinal and neon tetras. The neons being more hardy, but more aggressive is unfortunate, lol

7. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

If you want to skip the angel that opens up the cardinals or neons, Angels eat them.

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you ended up doing kuhli loaches I'd do at least 8 but would try for 10. They are a shy fish that needs friends to feel comfortable coming out.

You could probably do your schooling fish up to 10 as well.

9. Coles Initiate Member

If I were to do the following stock;

1-2 honey or pearl gourami
    1 German Ram
    10 corries
    and a school of 10-12 tetras (not sure yet, open to suggestions on what would go good with the fish above)

what would you suggest the process of introduction being? Would I need to add live plants or could i stick with the fake plastic ones? I don't know much about the upkeep of having live plants though I have read they're beneficial to the aquarium. Also, would the substrate have to be changed to the sand?

I'm trying to do this the most simplest way possible, but want to have everything right and perfect for the environment.

10. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You can do either fake or real. They both have their pros and cons. I noticed you were thinking of doing live plants for oxygen. I am assuming you are using a hang on back (HOB) filter. That alone will introduce enough oxygen into the water for the tank so no worries. If you are worried you can always put an air stone in there.

Have you cycled the tank? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Are you doing a fishless or fish in cycle?

As long as you aren't doing a sensitive tetra like rummy nose, I'd stock in this order, with at least a week separating each line

5 Tetra
    5 Tetra (if you are going up to 12 I'd do the last two in the next line)
    2 Honey Gourami/1 Pearl
    4 Corries
    4 Corries
    2 Corries and 1 German Ram

I usually take the long safe route. Some of the funnest part is stocking the aquarium. Really though you can do in any order but i'd try to make the ram the last thing stocked and the tetras the first thing.

11. Coles Initiate Member

The decoration I have in the tank, is an airstone coral piece. So I guess I won't be needing them (live plants) after all. The tank has been cycling since I bought it 3 weeks ago, fishless. I bought a water testing kit and have been checking the water every few days. It seems that everything is in the safe zone, and ready to go.

Thanks for the help!

12. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member