Stocking A 36 Gal Tank

  • Thread starter

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
Just started
hey everyone. I currently have a 10 gallon tank that was over stocked due to me being a rookie. I decided to buy a 36 galllon bow front aqueon tank. The tank is currently cycling with 2 molly’s from my 10 gallon tank and 10 small Guppys.

Now I wanted a little help with stocking the new tank when the time comes.
My son really likes sharks and angle fish. Is there anyway I could get away with them in a 36 gal or is it to small ?

And what else is color full. My water temp is going to be 78. I have a aqueon quite flow 30 plus a air pump with a sponge filter. I plan on also adding plants to the tank when my cycle is complete

Thanks in advance
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Plants usually help the cycle speed up. To my knowledge, there isn't any shark that could go in there. I think you could do an angelfish in there, not sure if you could do a pair - I doubt it though. A potential stocking could be:

1 Angelfish
8-12 Kuhli loaches
10 harlequin rasboras
Some zebra snails
78 degrees
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
You could sub in anything for the rasboras and loaches as long as they don;t fit in the angels mouth
 

SwishyFishy

Valued Member
Messages
155
Reaction score
25
Points
28
Angelfish would be fine in a 36 gallon. Unless it is 36 gals long.
You could do some sort of schooling tetra. I recommend cardinals, lemons, Silvertips, or black neon tetras. (stay away from regular neon tetras too small and will be eaten by the angel)
Maybe you could add a ram? Idk if it will make the tank overstocked. No sharks. They all get too big for a 36 gal.
Rams (german blue/gold rams can die quite often though).
 
  • Thread starter

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Now when I stock should I have some top, middle and bottom fish to spread them out or does that matter ?
 

SwishyFishy

Valued Member
Messages
155
Reaction score
25
Points
28
You could add a corydora type of some sort. Make sure to get a school of them
 

SwishyFishy

Valued Member
Messages
155
Reaction score
25
Points
28
Too many fish in one spot leads to aggression. Best to find fish for each region
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
SwishyFishy said:
Angelfish would be fine in a 36 gallon. Unless it is 36 gals long.
You could do some sort of schooling tetra. I recommend cardinals, lemons, Silvertips, or black neon tetras. (stay away from regular neon tetras too small and will be eaten by the angel)
Maybe you could add a ram? Idk if it will make the tank overstocked. No sharks. They all get too big for a 36 gal.
Rams (german blue/gold rams can die quite often though).
I agree. No neons, embers, or anything less than an inch,
 
  • Thread starter

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
Just started
SwishyFishy said:
You could add a corydora type of some sort. Make sure to get a school of them
Yup from what I’ve been reading since joining this site that would be a group of 6
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Tommy1284 said:
Now when I stock should I have some top, middle and bottom fish to spread them out or does that matter ?
I would
 

SwishyFishy

Valued Member
Messages
155
Reaction score
25
Points
28
Id say less than 1.5 inch. Angels have big mouths. My angel once had half a platy in his mouth.
 

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Messages
909
Reaction score
445
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Will you still have the mollies and guppies in the tank?
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
SwishyFishy said:
Id say less than 1.5 inch. Angels have big mouths. My angel once had half a platy in his mouth.
Oh my. I've never had an angel so I never knew. That's crazy.
 
  • Thread starter

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Ram cichlid look really cool. Would they get along with the angel ?
 
  • Thread starter

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
Just started
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
Will you still have the mollies and guppies in the tank?
I’m thinking the guppies will be food for
The angel because there very small.

I would like to keep the 2 mollys in this tank. If they had to get moved back to the 10 gallon I could do that , but I would be over
Stocked again
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Tommy1284 said:
I’m thinking the guppies will be food for
The angel because there very small.

I would like to keep the 2 mollys in this tank. If they had to get moved back to the 10 gallon I could do that , but I would be over
Stocked again
What's in your 10?
 

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Messages
909
Reaction score
445
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, in that case, what about:
1 angelfish
2 mollies
2 kribensis (german rams require pristine water and 78 is at the lower end of their temp range)
1 bn pleco
 

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Messages
909
Reaction score
445
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tommy1284 said:
bristlenose pleco

Black molly
Red platy
White molly
Dalmatian molly
3 glowfish tetras
5 ghost shrimp
Oh wow, that's pretty overstocked no offense. Everything in that tank requires a larger tank except the shrimp and platies. I left a decent amount of stocking room on purpose, you could add the other 3 mollies and the glofish (what species are they) to the 36 gallon. Good luck!
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Tommy1284 said:
Ram cichlid look really cool. Would they get along with the angel ?
Yeah I think they'll get along well.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom