Stocking a 35gal

1. fishfanatic15 Member Member

So, some time (hopefully soon) I will be upgrading my 10 gal to a 35gal. Right now I have two platys and one Molly. I want to move them over and get...
    One or two more Mollies ( so the one won't be so lonely)
    3 corrys
    And mayyybe a school of some sort

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I wouldnt do any more mollies..they have a huge bioload.
    You could do cories, but they need to be in groups of 6+ (of the same species)

3. Nicoldeme Member Member

I agree with Peacefantasy. A school of cories would be really fun, I've heard they're exciting to watch and full of personality. It's true, mollies do have a really big bioload, but if you keep on top of water changes and add them last, you shouldn't have an issue. Also, a betta might be a great centerpiece fish ;) I and everyone I know have a betta in all of their tanks, at least one ;). It's a gamble getting one, but choose carefully and you may find a new best friend. Also, an apple or mystery snail will keep algae down. Platys may nibble though :)

4. fishfanatic15 Member Member

Okay thanks for the input. What size tank would I need for 2 Mollies. I really don't want the other one to be lonely and I read that I should keep them together for them to be happy.
    Would it be fully stocked with just 2 platys and 2 mollies ( possibly corys)

I am planning on after stocking the 35 and using the 10 for quarantine to put a betta in the 10

5. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

You might be okay doing two mollies, just be sure to be consistent with your water changes.
    I disagree with a betta though. IMO its not worth the "gamble"

What kind of substrate are you thinking? Some bottom dwellers would make your tank seem more full and active :)

6. fishfanatic15 Member Member

I was planning on trying sand

7. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

So the cories would be a good choice. You could also do ottos

8. fishfanatic15 Member Member

Thanks for the advise. Hopefully I can get this tank started soon.

9. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Sorry I should be more specific. You could do cories or ottos, but you wouldnt have the footprint to do both.
    But you could do a large enough school that you wouldn't need both anyway
    Lol sorry felt I should clarify.

And youre welcome! We're all here to help :)