Stocking a 35gal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fishfanatic15, Jun 10, 2016.

1. fishfanatic15

fishfanatic15Valued MemberMember

So, some time (hopefully soon) I will be upgrading my 10 gal to a 35gal. Right now I have two platys and one Molly. I want to move them over and get...
    One or two more Mollies ( so the one won't be so lonely)
    3 corrys
    And mayyybe a school of some sort

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

I wouldnt do any more mollies..they have a huge bioload.
    You could do cories, but they need to be in groups of 6+ (of the same species)

3. Nicoldeme

NicoldemeValued MemberMember

I agree with Peacefantasy. A school of cories would be really fun, I've heard they're exciting to watch and full of personality. It's true, mollies do have a really big bioload, but if you keep on top of water changes and add them last, you shouldn't have an issue. Also, a betta might be a great centerpiece fish ;) I and everyone I know have a betta in all of their tanks, at least one ;). It's a gamble getting one, but choose carefully and you may find a new best friend. Also, an apple or mystery snail will keep algae down. Platys may nibble though :)

4. OP
    OP
    fishfanatic15

Okay thanks for the input. What size tank would I need for 2 Mollies. I really don't want the other one to be lonely and I read that I should keep them together for them to be happy.
    Would it be fully stocked with just 2 platys and 2 mollies ( possibly corys)

I am planning on after stocking the 35 and using the 10 for quarantine to put a betta in the 10

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  5. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

You might be okay doing two mollies, just be sure to be consistent with your water changes.
    I disagree with a betta though. IMO its not worth the "gamble"

What kind of substrate are you thinking? Some bottom dwellers would make your tank seem more full and active :)

6. OP
    OP
    fishfanatic15

I was planning on trying sand

7. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

So the cories would be a good choice. You could also do ottos

8. OP
    OP
    fishfanatic15

Thanks for the advise. Hopefully I can get this tank started soon.

9. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

Sorry I should be more specific. You could do cories or ottos, but you wouldnt have the footprint to do both.
    But you could do a large enough school that you wouldn't need both anyway
    Lol sorry felt I should clarify.

And youre welcome! We're all here to help :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice