stocking a 30ish regular.

1. vasqua03 Member Member

4 tiger barbs and 1 BN pleco. Want to keep it lightly stocked. Going to add three more tiger barbs. Looking for another fish that will contrast with my barbs. Don't know if I should get another school because I am afraid it will look too busy. The barbs already do a fine job of swimming all over the tank although they stick together. It is lightly planted with some hard cover. What would you guys do?

2. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I would just leave the barbs in there with the pleco alone why not just up the school to 10 and call it good.

3. vasqua03 Member Member

Sounds good. I am however toying with the idea of getting a few platies. I really like the tri-color, the gold twin bar, and the sunset variety. It would be two females and one male. It has been so long since I owned some that I overlooked how great these little fish are. Is it something I can try if i have a place to re-home them? I think the barbs wouldn't mind some treats once the fry come along. The barbs stick mostly to the bottom and middle and I don't want to add any competition for scraps or algae to my BN. But something at the top would be nice.

Anyone had success keeping them together?

4. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I have tried that and it didn't work well you could try some type of fast moving top dweller.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't put platies and tiger barbs together. I think the tigers would just bully them. I would just try to get more tigers maybe mix some albinos in and then call it a day. Or maybe a single convict cichlid would be okay with them. Just make sure you have tons of caves and such.

6. josh7 Well Known Member Member

A cichlid is a good idea if you don't like cons you could go with a firemouth.

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Although normally I'd agree they would work together but I've heard firemouths do much better in a 55 or more. Where convicts do okay in smaller tanks.

8. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Really where did you hear that I have kept them in 30 inch tanks with no issues.

9. vasqua03 Member Member

That sounds great, I am very happy with that option and after doing some light reading think I can successfully keep one.

With the tiger barbs. Are albino barbs just a mutation? When looking into green barbs I read that they are not the same and need their own separate schools even though they may intermingle. That would mean at least 5 tigers and 5 green barbs to attempt to keep them happy. I would contemplate maybe adding three albino barbs to my mix otherwise I would just get some more tiger's. I really want to keep their school to about 7 or eight max. The barbs are very fun and active and too many other fast swimming fish may be too much activity for my taste in such a small tank.

10. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I have had greens, albinos and regulars all in the same tank and they all schooled I would try to have a mix of them all.

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

There are color morphs/mutations/hybrids. Albino is a morph. Dont worry though, most of the various colors have no issue schooling togather.

12. fighter55 Member Member

For cichlids you could also try Rams. They don't need as much space as convicts, but their long, flowing fins might get nipped at by the barbs.

13. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I heard it on 90% of the websites I just looked them up on. I think they are just a little more space aggressive. Not sure exactly I've never kept them so I don't know first hand.

14. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Oh okay I was just saying from my expeirence that the firemouths did fine in a 30 inch tank but maybe I just had a unusual firemouth.

15. vasqua03 Member Member

I think I will get three albino barbs then :)

The blue and german blue rams at my local pet store are beautiful but they are tiny, smaller than my barbs and very expensive. For some reason I've been led to believe they are not as hardy and I would hate to see them lost to my school of barbs especially a $30 a pop. I was looking at the bolivian rams, I hear it is best to keep them paired up but I noticed only males at the sore and their fins look like they could be tempting. Can I keep a single male?

Seems there aren't many other cichlids that stay small beside rams and apistos unless i am overlooking something.

16. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I personally think rams are too peaceful for tiger barbs. Just my opinion tho. There are a bunch of cichlids that stay small just not many that can go in a 29 with tiger barbs.

You may be okay with a pair of kribensis cichlids, although they may be too peaceful as well. I think they would have a better chance than the rams.

17. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

You want a small agressive/semi agressive species of chiclid, rams and such imo are too peaceful. We are talking about tiger barbs here..lol.

18. Shine Well Known Member Member

Haven't kept them yet (on my list) but from what I've read a jewel cichlid may have what it takes to live with the barbs

19. fighter55 Member Member

A Jewel gets 5-6". No way it could fit in a 30 Gallon IMO. Yes, it may work with the barbs, but not in that small of a tank.

20. Shine Well Known Member Member

*shrugs* fishlore's own recommendation for tank size is
    so based on that, I'd assume one should be okay.