Stocking a 30 gal tank?

gwagner

Reaction score
HI there, I’m new!

Currently I have a male Betta and a snail in a five gallon, and after enjoying them so much I’ve decided I want to purchase a community tank. I believe this is the tank I’m getting: Top Fin Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit | fish Starter Kits

(In either the 29gal or 37 gal options, not sure yet)

Anyways, I’m most interested in Mollys as my base fish, but as a “centerpiece fish” I would love to have an angelfish. (can they live in solitude?) Of course I would probably add a few shrimp and snails to help clean up as well.)

Any stocking ideas for this tank? I’m confused as far as the amount of mollys I can house with the angelfish, if at all, etc.
thanks!

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and welcome to fishlore!
I wouldn't get either of those kits. I got one and had to replace everything. I'd buy everything separate. I can give you advice on what to get. Mollies and angels require very different water. An angel can live by itself but is happier with others. A 20" tall tank is needed for them. Tell me what you decide and I can help you further.

OP
G

gwagner

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Hello and welcome to fishlore!
I wouldn't get either of those kits. I got one and had to replace everything. I'd buy everything separate. I can give you advice on what to get. Mollies and angels require very different water. An angel can live by itself but is happier with others. A 20" tall tank is needed for them. Tell me what you decide and I can help you further.
Thank you! As much as I love the look of Angelfish, I like to have a lot to look at, and I’d rather have many mollies than one or two angelfish.
Are there any larger fish that can live with mollies that can work as a centerpiece?

OP
G

gwagner

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
To be honest mollies are your centerpiece.
That’s okay! How many could I keep in a 30 gallon? And I would also like some algae-eating invertebrates or fish, what do you recommend?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Black mollies are actually excellent algae eaters. All molies are but these seem to be the best. Id do 4-5 at most. 3 would be safest though.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollies may eat as much algae as any so called algae eater. But you can keep s bristlenose pleco, or nerite snails if you want. KuhlI loaches or zebra loaches would be a great bottom feeding schooling fish to add, as the have the same water condition needs. just don't add salt if you have loaches.
Mollies get pretty big, and they can get fin nippy and territorial, they should be the big centerpiece of the tank.

I also got a top fin tank kit and had to replace everything it came with except maybe the hood. the cheap food samples came in handy when transitioning some fish.

OP
G

gwagner

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! As far as the top fun kit goes, I was buying it mainly for price reasons, and it just so happens that it’s a kit. I was planning on using a different filter, food, etc.;)

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
gwagner said:
HI there, I’m new!

Currently I have a male Betta and a snail in a five gallon, and after enjoying them so much I’ve decided I want to purchase a community tank. I believe this is the tank I’m getting: Top Fin Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit | fish Starter Kits

(In either the 29 gallon or 37 gal options, not sure yet)

Anyways, I’m most interested in Mollys as my base fish, but as a “centerpiece fish” I would love to have an angelfish. (can they live in solitude?) Of course I would probably add a few shrimp and snails to help clean up as well.)

Any stocking ideas for this tank? I’m confused as far as the amount of mollys I can house with the angelfish, if at all, etc.
thanks!
Get the 37 gallon. It's only 5 bucks more than the 29.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Black mollies are actually excellent algae eaters. All molies are but these seem to be the best. Id do 4-5 at most. 3 would be safest though.
Really? My mollies are terrible algae cleaners.........

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my snails were bad algae eaters. They would mow these intracit crop circle hedge mazes, then disapear for a week. the mollies were always picking at the algae, but the might have just been food gluttons.
I did also read that mollies are big algae eaters.

New Threads