Stocking A 29 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kai, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kai

KaiValued MemberMember

Hello! I was measuring the top of my bureau and I think a 29 gallon will fit nicely on it. I was canvasing some LFS and I decided that I want it to be planted.

I also want to stock it with the ff
    8 pygmy cory cats
    8 cherry barbs
    8 cardinal tetras or celestial pearl danios (or am I pushing it already?)

I'd also like a centerpiece fish and I've read that pearl gouramis are generally peaceful. Is it possible to just get one or do they need to be in pairs/groups?

My other options would be a male betta, but I think it'll be a bit risky with all that aggression.

Any suggestions would be most welcome! ^^

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

You sound fine right now :) and pearl gouramis prefer to be alone. They get aggressive with more of there own kind. With bettas is a hit and miss. Sometimes they do fine in community sometimes not. My mom has harliquin raspora, panda cories and a crowntail betta in her 15. They get along pretty well :)

3. OP
    OP
    Kai

KaiValued MemberMember

Oh! Thank you for that. :D

I forgot to mention I also wanted red cherry shrimps since my friend has a breeder tank of them, he said he can give me some. How many would be adequate for a 29 gallon? And can I keep 2-3 of those horned nerite snails? I read that they're smaller than the other nerites.

I think I'm asking too many things. Sorry. -_- I just do not want to screw up and kill my fish. I'd be heartbroken.

4. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

Lol. You're fine :) I. Don't know much about snails or cherrys. But from what I've heard about cherrys is that you put 5 in and there's 50 next month. Lol. I've heard lots of plants so they can hide. My next tank I'm planning is a planted 15gal with cherrys and a betta. Lol. Mts speaking I guess.

5. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

I don't recommend the betta unless you have a seperate 5+ gallon tank for him to live in if the community one fails. Both of my betta boys failed to get along with my cherry barbs... one of them is instant attack on sight, the other ignored them for 3 days till they bugged him enough to turn on them. Cherry barbs are hyperactive little brats :p

6. OP
    OP
    Kai

KaiValued MemberMember

Okay, so maybe I'll setup a 10 gallon tank because I really do like bettas. In case he doesn't like tankmates, I can buy a pearl gourami for a community tank. I saw a cherry barb school on display at a LFS and I fell in love with them.

Thank you for your input guys! I really appreciate it. ^_^

Now to go back to cleaning so I can make space for my fish.

7. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

They both are awesome, I got a shiny new 42" lcd tv yesterday and it's parked 3 feet or so from my cherry barb tank... and I still watched them more than the tv.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice