Stocking a 29 gallon with schooling fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by dramanea, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dramanea

dramaneaValued MemberMember

Hello,
    I'm looking into getting some more fish, and here's what I'm thinking:
    Six harlequin rasboras
    Six rummynose tetras
    Six panda corydoras
    Six neon tetras and/or zebra danios
    One of each: dwarf honey gourami, bronze corydoras, bristenose pleco.

Is there any way I can make this work? I have a fully cycled 29 gallon planted tank.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Sure - just one question. Why get one bronze cory?

Also, you could up the school sizes a little.

3. OP
    OP
    dramanea

I used to have five bronze corys, but four have since passed away leaving me with one. The list isn't just what I want to get, it also includes what I already have.
    Could I really up the school sizes? If so, that would be awesome. I can't decide betwean the danios and the neons-they're both so pretty.
    Another question: If I get multiple schooling species, will they school together?

4. Jaysee

I did look at your aquarium info, but was not sure if it was up to date. I still don't know if it is ;)

What's already in the tank?

No, they will not actively school together. If kept in a small enough tank, it can look like they are, and they very well may be - but that's due to circumstances. In a sufficiently sized tank, and in sufficiently large numbers, they will rarely, if ever, school together.

There are exceptions, as there are to any rule. Different species of rainbows, within the same genus, will school together. That's also likely of danios too - if that's what you call what they do ;) Just seems like chaos to me.

5. OP
    OP
    dramanea

One bronze cory, one dwarf honey gourami, six harlequin rasboras, and two rummy nose tetras. I'm definitly going to get more of the rummies soon, since two isn't enough.
    I'll make sure the aquarium info is up to date! Thanks for telling me.

6. Jaysee

Yeah, it's just one of those things that you never know about. A lot of people will mention that it's up to date, that way people can go look and you don't have to copy everything.

I would just leave the one cory be rather than get a second. 2 honey gouramis in a 29 is no big deal. A BN pleco is fine for the tank. I would do 10 each for the schools of he fish you have. Then, after a bit, if you think you still need one more school, then maybe. It would really be pushing it - most would say too much. I would absolutely go with neons over zebra danios though. Super active fish aren't the best choice for a heavily stocked tank.

7. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Neons and danios have very different personalities I believe.

Note: I personally only know the danios, which I have, but from what I read about neons they sound very different.

I am very fond of my danios, but I have observed that people tend to either love or hate danios, and there are quite a lot of people in the hate group alas. Danios are called peaceful schooling fish I believe by those who do not know them. I would call them semi-aggressive. You need to have enough danios to diffuse potential aggression Issues. If you are not lucky the danios will pick on the weakest of the bunch. A friend of mine used to have a danio that was a mass murderer and one by one killed all others. I on the other hand have had very positive experience with my danios.

They are very active and fun to watch. While they are schooling fish, they seldom school with each other as a group unless they are scared - mine only did it in the first couple of days when we got them, especially before they got used to my kids.

Now they usually chase each other, but are also often doing their own thing. Sometimes one danio will focus on another and chase it, other times tow danios appear to gang up on a third. Sometimes one of them will chase another and will switch to the next whenever it passes another one, basically one danio chasing each of the others in turn - to establish dominence over all the rest, I think. Then there are times when they are all or almost all in a tight fast moving wrestling group inside the java moss. I actually have glofish, one of each color, and only a couple regular danios, and this has helped me observe them better individually, which has been interesting. They definitely have a dominance pecking order.

You should get someone else to describe neons for you, someone who knows them better, but my understanding is that neons are much more likely to school all together in a tight formation than danios are. While neons are described as nippy, danios are often described as psychotic (mostly by people who don't like them I think, but they certainly do have very active semi-aggressive personalities). Danios will never sit still, unless they are sick or it is the middle of the night very late for a very brief amount of time. I think neons are less active than that.

Best of luck in deciding between the two.

8. Jaysee

I prefer the term maniacal :) I like them, but they are just that. They're always on and I've found that that can stress more laid back species, especially ones that share the same region of the tank.

Neons are not active at all, by comparison. They will usually just mill around in the tank. Many tetra species aren't good schoolers, and that includes neons. The only time neons get into a tight formation is when they feel threatened. Most of the time, they are rather boring.

9. OP
    OP
    dramanea

I raised the schools to ten each, and here's what the tank would be like with the new fish added:
    Ten Harlequin Rasboras
    Ten Rummynose Tetras
    Ten Corydoras
    Two Dwarf Honey Gouramis
    One Bristlenose Pleco
    Ten of another schooling fish (Do you guys have any recommendations?)

That's 43 fish. Is that too much for a 29g, or should I just do water changes more frequently? Also, my Honey Dwarf Gourami can be shy around active fish-will getting him a buddy help, or make it worse?

10. Jaysee

Yes, thats too many fish. If you are going to squeeze in the 4th school, then I would not raise the numbers of the schools. It's just my opinion that fewer larger schools look better than more smaller schools.

11. OP
    OP
    dramanea

Like this?

Ten Harlequin Rasboras
    Ten Rummynose Tetras
    Ten Corydoras
    Two Dwarf Honey Gouramis
    One Bristlenose Pleco

33 fish...good? I am looking for tight schoolers. My rummy noses school very tightly and there's only two of them, so I'm sure it looks super cool when there's more. The Harlequins used to school, but now they mostly just hand out in one area near each other. Will getting more make them school tighter?

12. Jaysee

It's a fully stocked tank - if you have the filtration for it, and are willing to keep up on your water changes, it won't be a problem. Theyre all small fish.

One thing though - I have not kept the rasboras or rummy nose. If they occupy the same region in the tank, then I would not keep them both - certainly not in those numbers.

13. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

most people find that when you first by the "schooling" fish that 1. they school tightly and 2. after a few weeks they school much looser as they feel much safer.
    also when you up the numbers of fish they will typically school less as they feel safer in larger numbers.

14. Jaysee

There are two kinds of schooling (at least). One is defensive, and is done under stress. That's the tight group you are referring to. While nice to look at, not good for the fish to be like that for extended periods of time. Stress is a killer. The other is social in nature. Rainbows are a perfect example of this.

15. OP
    OP
    dramanea

I'll get to a pet store as soon as I can to get my rummies some friends, I wouldn't want them to be under stress.

16. Jaysee

Yes, there is some stress in keeping schooling fish in too small of a school. What's too small? That's a grey area. My point was that in order for the fish to remain in a tight school, there needs to be a threat in the tank with them. Otherwise, they start to spread out like fishfan said.

17. OP
    OP
    dramanea

Theoretically, if I were to get a second 29g tank, would this combinations work?

6+ Harlequin Rasboras
    6+ Rummynose Tetras
    6+ Panda Corydoras
    1 Angelfish
    1 Bristlenose Pleco

Are all the fish compatible? I've always wanted an Angelfish.

18. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

you could probably have the angel but the rasboras will deffinitelly be ripe for the picking as they are rather small.

19. OP
    OP
    dramanea

Are you sure? My rasboras may be thin, but they are very tall and would probably be difficult to eat.

20. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

I've not heard of the rasboras being an issue with Angelfish. I was originally going to have both in my 29 gallon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice