Stocking a 29 gallon biocube

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Jongould85, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Jongould85New MemberMember

So i have had my 29 gallon biocube up and running for a little while now. I have 1 emerald crab, 3 blue leg hermit crabs, and 8 snails. Also i have about 25 pounds of live rock and 2 inches of live sand. I am about ready to stock it so i was wondering what to get. Eventually i will want to add coral so i need reef compatable fish. I would definately want 2 ocellaris clownfish but other than that i am open to anything. Btw i do use a protein skimmer. Also what corals will i eventuallybe able to get? Thanks so much! I also really like firefish

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

You can do a firefish just make sure your lid is on there tightly cuz they love to jump. You can do a goby too like a Watchman Goby and a Coral Beauty Angel but the angel may nip soft corals if it is not fed right. Mine never has but I have heard of it happening plus if you do the Angel that should be the last fish you put in the tank. Corals you can do Zoas, Leathers, Mushrooms, Polyps, and some SPS corals (depends on your lighting :) ).

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jongould85New MemberMember

So could i do 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 firefish, a flame angel, and a small goby?

4. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

2 clowns,1 firefish(unless you can find a proven pair),and either the goby or the angel than you tank will be stocked.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Alright thanks what order should i add them?

6. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Clowns , firefish, and goby or angel last

7. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I'll re-iterate angel last. They can get territorial.

For corals, be careful with SPS (hard corals). They require pristine water conditions, high flow rates and great lighting. They are the pinnacle of captive coral keeping. The tank should be very mature, at least 8 months, better if 12+. Not saying don't do them, just be aware that they are difficult.

LPS corals are a little easier to keep, NPS and Softies will all do well too.

In addition to Jessi's suggestions, I'd check out Duncans, Green Star Polyps, Pulsing Xenia (can breed/reproduce like weeds), Scolly, Elegance Coral, Blasto, Acans and the like.

8. OP
    OP
    J

So @ryanr should i not add the angel and stick to another fish or add it and just be careful? I really just want cool looking fish in the tank, but i dont want to put a too aggressive fish in

9. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Generally angels are fine if introduced last. Some people experience territorial issues if they add the angel first. By adding it last, the other fish can setup their territory, and the angel will find another place in the tank.

IMO - there's no need to exclude the angel from your plan.

10. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

They are aggressive but mine has been great and never attacks anyone else in the tank. You add them last to make sure they can not claim the whole tank as their own and that way your other fish feel safe. The ones you have to watch out for in my tank is my Coral Banned Shrimp Bandit(pinches me if I get to close to his rock) and my female clown Bonnie( she bites if I get to close) my angel Dino is a gentle soul he even eats out of my hand ;-).

11. OP
    OP
    J

Alright thanks do i will get 2 clowns, one or maybe two firefish, an then an angelfish. And this is the maximum amount of fish right?

12. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Yes but if you want a small goby you could do it if you make sure you keep up the water changes and testing and cleaning the skimmer. Just make sure you do put the angel in last. And go slow one fish every other week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice