Stocking A 29 Gal Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by nanbridg, Apr 12, 2018.

1. nanbridg

nanbridg New Member Member

I have an established tank of 10 months ammonia 0 , nitrates 0 ,nitrites 0 , ph 7.4 aquarium salt and Prime are added with each weekly water change. I have a driftwood stump , an amazon plant , hob filter and two sponge filters , I currently have 3 male guppies, two coryies , one male swordtail and two female swordtails, lastly 6 t-bone rasboras, I'm thinking of adding more swordtails but afraid one more male with two females may be too much . I would like any guidelines. Thanks in advance

2. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

I wouldn't add another Male swordtail. If anything I'd get another female, and at least 2 more Cory's to make up a small shoal

3. OP
    OP
    nanbridg

Would just one female swordtail max out my tank ? I'm trying to add as many fish wihout overstocking.

4. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

A little overstock is okay. DO you use aqadvisor?

5. OP
    OP
    nanbridg

Not yet will check it out thanks

6. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

Pretty much it will say how stocked your tank is, and also a little bit of overstock is okay, just requires more filtration and water change volume.

7. OP
    OP
    nanbridg

I checked the aqadvisor and all my questions have been answered . Thank you for directing me to that great web site .

8. BettaAquarium

BettaAquarium New Member Member

I'm not the best stocker, but please add 4 more corydora of the same species of your current ones.
    They need atleast 6 to have a school of them.

9. OP
    OP
    nanbridg

My plan after checking with aqadvisor will be 2 more Cory's and 2 more Rasbora. I have had the first two Cory's for 10 months and they seem happy i was warned at least 4 corys

10. watermelon46

watermelon46 Valued Member Member

Yes, 4 cories will be fine, though 6 is the most recommended amount. 4 should thrive happily, but if you have extra room, add more to make them more comfortable. Even 5 is better. Four shouldn't be a problem though.

11. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Why the salt?

I wouldn’t use salt unless you kept brackish fish.

I would discontinue it’s use.

The rasporas and corys won’t enjoy it, the others may.

12. OP
    OP
    nanbridg

The lfs where I buy all my fish use asalt in all their tanks and recommends a tablespoon of salt with every 5gals . I also feel it helps the skin stay disease free. In 10 months I have not had any problems.

13. watermelon46

watermelon46 Valued Member Member

LFSs usually have pre-made saltwater but if they dont then use nanbridg's advice - I dont know much about salt to water ratios in aquariums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice