Stocking a 28g

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about moving the barbs to a smaller tank...    I'm not really sure what I want, every time I research something else, I'm like "oh, that's cool.  but it doesn't go well with Barbs".  I like angels,  but I don't want to be limited to 2 fish in a tank...   I'd want at least 7-9 fish in there...  I like sharks and I'm interested in eels as I've said on previous posts.  I'm leaning more toward Chichlids, I like the fact that I can put my finger on the glass and there there like a bat out of **** to check it out.  more of my own personality with activity and territory's.  IDK,  I ask this advise because I can't make up my mind when I research. 

Thanks everyone....

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Most sharks will grow too large for a 28 gallon tank, and tiger barbs are not compatible with angelfish (they will bite on the Angels' long fins). Tiger barbs should generally not be kept with any long-finned fish and with any very peaceful fish since tiger barbs are semi-aggressive (so they should be kept with fish of a similar temperament and short finnage).

If you want some Cichlids in there, get 2 Angelfish in there and a school or two of small schooling species. Or 3 Rams (2 females and 1 male) and a school or two of small schooling species. Of course, Angels or Rams are just a suggestion. It is up to you what you'll get. If you want tiger barbs, get them - only the other species that you want to mix with them must be compatible with them. If you choose to have Angels or Rams, some good, beautiful-looking, small, and peaceful tank mates for them could be a school of cherry barbs, or a school of some small tetras, or a school of harlequin rasboras ... and so on. There are really a lot of small and peaceful species to choose from.

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
Awesome... Yea I like rams... I'm just one of those people who like someting they see, until they look at the next thing... but I do like chichlids better than anything I see, but I'm limited cause of my tank size I think... I'd move my tiger barbs to another tank.... so nothing like that would happen... I like the rams, I seen some bumblebee's at the LFS, they were cool. I'm just unsure on what's a good set up, I just keep confusing myself.

Regards

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tigerbarbs will need a minimum of 20 gallon tank and the bumblebee's I'm assuming your refering to bumble gobies and they do best in brackish water though I'v heard they can go in freshwater. Besides cichlids would you like catfish and fish that swim on the bottom or mid swimming or surface swimming fish.

Austin

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
I like mid level, so I guess the main set would be at the middle to top. Though I do want fish all over the tank The more I look into it, I just get even more lost. I'd just like some color, size difference, and attitude. Just some cool looking fish, I want them to watch me watch them... if that makes sense. Cat fish would be cool, along with sharks and eels, but my tank size really limits me.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes your tank size does really limits you, I know how you feel, my tanks the same way. Your real problem is your tiger barbs, if you keep them you'l be more limited, if you return them or get another tank for them you could have something like
2angels
1bristle nose pleco
4male guppies
6 rasboras or tetras

As long as you kept up with your water changes and and have adequate filteration you'd be find with that. Angels giving you personality, pleco giving you a catfish, bottom fish, and personality. Guppies giving you some pretty colors and surface swimming and harlequins or tetras giving you some middle movement with the angels. With the guppies you can have different colors and with the tetras/harlequins (whichever you choose) it will give you some to choose from, you just can't get the nippy tetras.

austin

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
YES,  what you said was perfect, anymore ideas like that would be perfect.  a simple layout.

Could I use a shark instead of a Cat?

THANK YOU

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No afraid you couldn't really have one as the smallest one gets 6" and your tank would be a bit small for that.

When you were at the lfs last time where there any other fish you liked?

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
I don't remember, I might take a run up there just to check some out...

Guaramis are cool looknig, but their not chichlids.... AHHHHH!!! ???

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can do that. My current stock of my 29 gallon is
2 mated angels
4 harelquin rasboras
1 fancy tail guppy
1 BN pleco

I'm going to be adding a female BN and breed them, along with a few more guppies and rasboras. My tank will be slightly overstocked but I'm going to be overfiltering and doing water changes. Only reason the guppies and rasboras are bad numbers is a few have died and lived their life and I haven't been able to get out to the good lfs by me.

If you want eels you can look into zebra spiny eels as they should be ok in your size tank, just might be a little more demanding than what I've already said.

Austin

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
I like Dwarf Cichlids, they're pretty cool looking...  I'd probably put a lobster or a cuckoo catfish in the bottom, any other suggestions on these ideas?

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
Would a fire mouth go well in a 28 gal tank? I do like those bumblebee ones too!! I'll go to petsmart tomorrow and see what I like so that I can research a little more on them...

I still have to recycle my tank...

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Firemouths grow to 6" so it would be best not to keep them. Bumble bee's perfer brackish conditions and if you are willing to convert your tank to brackish you could lots of these and a few other cool looking fish. Basically google your fish that you want to have, look at a few sites and get an estimate how large they get and check on fishlore.com too.

Austin

And yes you still have to recycle your tank so you have plenty of time to do research

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
OK,  So I'm liking Blue rams, A LOT..  but I'm not sure if they will fit in a 28 gal.    If they can would gouramis go along with them,  maybe some tetras like red phantom, bleeding heart, black neon or diamond?????   
For the bottom, I'd want like a lobster or something (still researching).  tell me what you think....    just limited on size, I knew I should have bought the 55 gal.  ........

Regards

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
I'm recycling my tank now, gonna be patient this time... so don't EVERYONE hate me, I feel that way now...

anyway, I bought an air stone but my filter keeps sucking up the bubbles, is this OK, or is something going to screw up?

I might just need to buy a regulator or something, maybe get a different stone... I got a 30 gal pump and a 15 inch stick along the back under my sand, I like it cause its moving all the **** around on the bottom, but making my filter loud...

I also seen some else. yellow cichlids today, I haven't done my research on them yet because I was getting this air pump going.

Any ideas on something with the Else. yellows? I might just do a brackish tank, and get the hornets, but not sure on what else to put in that yet...

but that really puts a damper on getting a lobster... and no eels either I guess?

Regards

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can get eels, but you have to do your research on them but no bumblebee gobies then.

Electric yellow labs is what I'm assuming you saw that you liked, type of cichlid, cool looking

Reajust your air line so the bubbles aren't coming up under the filter, either that or remove it since it will eventually end up breaking your filter. The impeller is breaking the bubbles, that's the noise.

Hornets?

well you can research lobster's but not awar of small ones, and crawfish eat other fish so species tank for them.

atm

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
OK, I'll readjust it, if not I'll get a different stone...

bumblebee (hornets) I see them labled like that... IDK

yea, their yellow, with like a black and white or yellow dorsalfin...? not sure.

I can't find anyone where I live with blue rams... so I might move on to the eel yellow labs. how big they get 5 in. ?

hmmm... let me do some research.

OP
S

Somethingfishy

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go with bumblebee's, they're **** mean,  ;D , and they change color...   but it seems like I can't put them with most things, what are some good tank mates to complete my tank? if I do go with them? even though they are brackish?

New Threads