Stocking a 28G Bow Front Question 

ehale911

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello. I've been lurking this site for a while and I've decided to post and seek guidance. My wife and I bought a 28G bowfront aquarium in January and it has been cycled. We have currently have 6 zebra danios and are trying to decide what we want to fill the rest of the tank with. Since we're new to the hobby we decided to not use any live plants.

Based on our research, we'd like to add maybe two dwarf gourami and 6 dwarf cories. Would these work together? I'm thinking we could add maybe another small type of schooling fish as well, but just not sure what. My wife is very adamant that she does not want any neon tetras or anything similar.

Thanks for the great site and your help!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore.
Only one DG per tank, or you're going to have problems. Are you familiar with dwarf gourami disease?

How does she feel about cherry barbs? And is she against all tetras, or just neons/cardinals?

The cories sound good. You could do 6 pandas or maybe 8 pygmy cories.

ehale911

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Meenu said:
welcome to fishlore.
Only one DG per tank, or you're going to have problems. Are you familiar with dwarf gourami disease?

How does she feel about cherry barbs? And is she against all tetras, or just neons/cardinals?

The cories sound good. You could do 6 pandas or maybe 8 pygmy cories.
I have read up a bit on dwarf gourami disease. What are some alternatives? We're interested in having a "centerpiece" fish and we like the look of the gourami, the disease aspect is a turn off.

She's okay with the cherry barb. She's open to other types of tetras; just definitely not the neon or cardinal ones.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the rubberlip gouramis don't get it, and neither do honey gouramis.

How about something like this as a final stock (don't forget to stock slowly)
-6 cories
-6 danios
-3 glofish (danios)
-1 honey gourami (or flame variety)
-6 cherry barbs or harlequin rasbora

ehale911

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Meenu said:
I think the rubberlip gouramis don't get it, and neither do honey gouramis.

How about something like this as a final stock (don't forget to stock slowly)
-6 cories
-6 danios
-3 glofish (danios)
-1 honey gourami (or flame variety)
-6 cherry barbs
We both really like that! Thanks for your help. Is there any particular order we should follow when adding these?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I gave you harlequin rasboras as an alternative to cherry barbs if you wanted.

I would say add the gourami last since it'll be the most aggressive (although the honeys are pretty tame), and the cories right before that, since they can be a little sensitive to water conditions.
Make sure you each time you add fish, you check the water for a few days, and if everything seems fine with the cycle, wait 2-3 weeks before adding more. It'll give the beneficial bacteria time to catch up and grow to handle the bigger bioload.

And if you don't already have one, quarantine tanks are highly recommeded:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/quarantine-tank-setup.69750/

Enjoy the forum.

ehale911

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help and advice. Really like the rasboras too! Would you recommend adding all of one type at once or sticking with just adding 2-3 at a time? Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to make sure we do everything the right way.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Don't be sorry for asking. At least you won't mess up at every step like most of us do. :-\

If it were my tank, I would be inclined to add 3 at a time.

By the way, I really don't care for danios. The only reason they were in my list is because you already have them. I'm just saying this as a disclaimer, in case you end up not liking them.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads