Stocking a 28 U.S gallon (105 litre) tropical freshwater tank

• Thread starter fisheyfishey
  • Start date

fisheyfishey

I currently have a nano 5 gallon tank that i’ve had for a month now with 6 small neon tetras, 2 male guppies and 3 peppered corydoras. I know it is overstocked however they are all still small. I am planning on upgrading to a 105 litre and I need to advice on what to get which include my current ones. I was hoping to get a dwarf gouramI and maybe platties or mollys in the new tank somehow, any suggestions? The tank is 30 inches long, 16 inches tall and 15 inches wide.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
In the 105 I'd stock up the tetras (to 8-10) and corydoras (to 6-8). Leaves room for maybe 2 centerpiece fish like gouramis or maybe 5 more guppies.

fisheyfishey

do you think it would be possible to do 1 dwarf gouramI and two platties?

juniperlea

Well Known
fisheyfishey said:
I currently have a nano 5 gallon tank that i’ve had for a month now with 6 small neon tetras, 2 male guppies and 3 peppered corydoras. I know it is overstocked however they are all still small. I am planning on upgrading to a 105 litre and I need to advice on what to get which include my current ones. I was hoping to get a dwarf gouramI and maybe platties or mollys in the new tank somehow, any suggestions? The tank is 30 inches long, 16 inches tall and 15 inches wide.
Keep in mind that Platties are poopers, so you will see a constant stream of poop from their bowels(s). They are an excellent indicator of over-feeding!!!!! :rolleyes: Sometimes, the tail end of their poop will end up in front of their eyeballs and guess what happens! If I were you, I'd just place all your current fish in the new tank, sit back, put your feet up, do a great deal of research and a month or two later, make decisions.

On a personal note, I'd drop the water level on that tank and add ADFs! Unless you don't want to laugh when you watch your tank!

fisheyfishey

i’d personally like to cycle the tank and then try and get some new fish as soon as the tank is ready, If that means not having platties

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Maybe get the old fish in first after cycling and use the old tank for quarantine? Gives you all the time you might need to decide.

fisheyfishey

yes that is a good idea. I have just thought of instead of having 12 neons would it be possible to have the one I have and then another small school of a different type of tetra?

Shreyawagle

Increase the number of neons and peppered cories. You can try honey or pearl gouramI as they are more peaceful. If you want to keep platy or molly, get the lyretail or swordtail ones. They look the best. Opt for males if you are looking for the best colours or tails.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
In principle that would be possible. You could also go for 2 schools of 8 each of tetras of 2 different kinds, more corys (they really should be kept with 6 at least) and then, in case keeping the second tank long term is an option, you could put 1 dwarf gouramI with the guppies in there. allthough for one gouramI that could still be too small I presume.

Shreyawagle

fisheyfishey said:
yes that is a good idea. I have just thought of instead of having 12 neons would it be possible to have the one I have and then another small school of a different type of tetra?
The minimum number of tetras to keep are indeed 6 but the more you keep, the better they school. But if you want another variety you can go for ember tetras for a different look.

fisheyfishey

ok so the current idea is to put all of the current fish into the new tank and keep the old one for quarantine. I will get more fish so that I have this in the 105 litre;
2 male guppies
6 neon tetras
6 ember tetras?
6 peppered corydoras
1 gouramI of some sort
and 2 platies or mollys?

I want lots of variety

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Should work if you stick to male lifebarers and a very peaceful gourami. Also means you'll have to quarantine them in batches. First the tetras and the corys scond, so the groups have time to find together and work out their group structure in the new tank before the completely new fish are added. Those you should maybe also bring in seperately first the lifebearers, then the gouramI last. if nothing happens during quarantine the whole process should take about 2 months. That would give the microorganisms in the new tank time to grow with the bioload.

Edit: But I would not guarantee it will work. It should technically, but maybe not. ;)

fisheyfishey

ok thanks for the help. looking forward to getting new fish

Shreyawagle

Refer for your stocking amount. As for the new tank, make sure it is completely cycled before you add any fish. Once it's cycled, add 1 species at a time. Start with guppies and add 1 species every week. DO NOT ADD ALL OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME. Do not buy any new fishes until you are done adding the ones you have now. Quarantine the new fishes in your 5 gallon.
Also, if you can, get some live plants. Plants provide some additional filtration and it may increase your stocking capacity. If you do not wish to use soil or fertilizers, plants like floating plants, java ferns, moss, anubias and buce will work as well. There are also some stem plants that do not require soil. Do search for those. You can also stick some pothos stem on the water surface. They are the best at sucking out nitrates and nitrites.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Oh my, I forgot the new tank also needs time with the fish already there. My bad. Shreyawagle is absolutely right. :)

fisheyfishey

ok I will move my plants from my 5 gallon into my new one. they are in pots. and ill make sure to leave at least a week before Adding new quarantined species. using squad visor now.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Transferring the plants also helps cycle the tank better, but don't forget to leave some in the old one for the fish that are still in there. Maybe transfer half of them while cycling and then bit by bit with every fish species you transfer.

fisheyfishey

aquadvisor says that the ratio of male to female for 1:2 male to female for guppies and platys and mollys however when I bought the guppies from pets at home they sold me two males. is this a concern

Shreyawagle

If you have more males than females it is a concern since multiple males chase a single female. Since you have no females you don't need to worry about it much. Just make sure you have lid on top or some kind of cover since guppies, gouramis and live bearers tend to jump

fisheyfishey

thankyou, wasn’t planning on breeding so it doesn’t matter. thanks and I do have a lid

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
I only know male endlers tend to be aggressive among each other even when there is no female in the tank. Friend of mine breeds them and told me a fraternity of those doesn't work out most of the times. But whether you can apply this to guppies and mollies...? No idea.

juniperlea

Well Known
MacZ said:
Maybe get the old fish in first after cycling and use the old tank for quarantine? Gives you all the time you might need to decide.
I agree with MacZ. Cycle the new tank. Put the old gang in the new tank and just let the old tank sit in a corner until inspiration (and research) hits you.

Shreyawagle

My male endlers, guppies or live bearers never fought. I usually opt for babies when it comes to fishes cause I like raising them and I have almost always ended up with more males than females. The males do chase my females a lot but they have never shown any aggression towards each other even when I separated them from females for a few days. I am not much worried since my tanks are heavily planted, so the females have a lot of places to hide but I won't recommend anybody to have more males than females. Either have more females or all males/females.

fisheyfishey

juniperlea said:
I agree with MacZ. Cycle the new tank. Put the old gang in the new tank and just let the old tank sit in a corner until inspiration (and research) hits you.
I was thinking it would be nice to have it in my bedroom somewhere but no need to worry about that for now

Shreyawagle said:
My male endlers, guppies or live bearers never fought. I usually opt for babies when it comes to fishes cause I like raising them and I have almost always ended up with more males than females. The males do chase my females a lot but they have never shown any aggression towards each other even when I separated them from females for a few days. I am not much worried since my tanks are heavily planted, so the females have a lot of places to hide but I won't recommend anybody to have more males than females. Either have more females or all males/females.
i’m going to try and monitor and see if 2 males works and if it doesn’t then i’ll put them in separate tanks.

vinay021

fisheyfishey said:
ok so the current idea is to put all of the current fish into the new tank and keep the old one for quarantine. I will get more fish so that I have this in the 105 litre;
2 male guppies
6 neon tetras
6 ember tetras?
6 peppered corydoras
1 gouramI of some sort
and 2 platies or mollys?

I want lots of variety
I too have a 105 L tank and few guppies along with neon, albino and glass tetras. It's been running for an year now. Every now and then I feel the guppies are kind of lame when compared to tetras. I'm planning to replace them with Harlequin rasbora, lemon tetra and serpae tetra. I would not go with platies or Molloy either.

Fljoe

Well Known
fisheyfishey said:
2 male guppies
6 neon tetras
6 ember tetras?
6 peppered corydoras
1 gouramI of some sort
and 2 platies or mollys?

I want lots of variety
IMO tetras are kind of boring. I have 9 Glowlight tetras and 6 black neon tetras. They don’t really school together. I’ve read that is a sign of feeling safe and secure. You can always keep the 6 you have and do a few mollies. My black mollies are super active and fun to watch. I’m thinking about adding some that are half black and half gold. They are so pretty.

fisheyfishey

yeah I like to watch mollys too and needed to get them in the new one, thanks

Fljoe said:
IMO tetras are kind of boring. I have 9 Glowlight tetras and 6 black neon tetras. They don’t really school together. I’ve read that is a sign of feeling safe and secure. You can always keep the 6 you have and do a few mollies. My black mollies are super active and fun to watch. I’m thinking about adding some that are half black and half gold. They are so pretty.
yeah I thought that with my neons in the 5 gallon, are there any tetras or rasboras that are tight schooling that I could have in a 105l? any thoughts? maybe ember tetra???

Masoud

fisheyfishey said:
yeah I thought that with my neons in the 5 gallon, are there any tetras or rasboras that are tight schooling that I could have in a 105l? any thoughts? maybe ember tetra???
try pristella tetra if u want tight schooling

Shreyawagle

fisheyfishey said:
Embers are tight schooling and I initially suggested them cause they have really small bio load. They get 0.8-1 inch in length and you can probably have 12 embers with same bio load of 4-6 tetras. And they look amazing.

fisheyfishey

Shreyawagle said:
Embers are tight schooling and I initially suggested them cause they have really small bio load. They get 0.8-1 inch in length and you can probably have 12 embers with same bio load of 4-6 tetras. And they look amazing.
as they are so small are they at any risk of being eaten by a pearl gourami? if they aren’t then they look perfect

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
fisheyfishey said:
as they are so small are they at any risk of being eaten by a pearl gourami? if they aren’t then they look perfect
I think they would be ok but I would go for a smaller GouramI either a single Dwarf GouramI or a Trio of Honey Gourami.

fisheyfishey

Shreyawagle said:
do you know of any other small, low waste schooling fish. just wondering for other options. thanks

Shreyawagle

Pearl gouramI has small mouths. You can go for threadfin rainbows or rasboras with 1 inch max size like micro rasboras, mosquito rasboras and kabutoI etc.
Get the gouramI last after the fishes have grown to their adult size.

fisheyfishey

1 dwarf gouramI (m)
16 neon tetra
6 peppered corydoras
3 dalmatian mollys (1m/2fm)
1 guppy (m) ?

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
That's probably overstocked by most standards, but not to an extreme level. I think you'd be okay if you keep a close eye on water parameters and are willing to do more frequent water changes than might be needed if it was stocked less. I'd personally recommend leaving out the mollies.

Coradee

Threads have been merged so all the information is in one place & members don’t have to repeat suggestions already given

fisheyfishey

right so now i’m onto one option but now i’m thinking maybe an angelfish though. I have read up about it and most people have been successful keeping neons and angels if the neons are fully grown then you add the smallest angel you can find then it should be used to them and ill take the risk and closely monitor the tank. so either:
1 dwarf gouramI or pearl gouramI
12 neon tetra
3 mollys
6 peppered cory
and a guppy

or

1 angel
12 neons
5 zebra danios
6 peppered cory
1 guppy

any thoughts? feel free to move one to the other ect.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
fisheyfishey said:
right so now i’m onto one option but now i’m thinking maybe an angelfish though. I have read up about it and most people have been successful keeping neons and angels if the neons are fully grown then you add the smallest angel you can find then it should be used to them and ill take the risk and closely monitor the tank. so either:
1 dwarf gouramI or pearl gourami
12 neon tetra
3 mollys
6 peppered cory
and a guppy

or

1 angel
12 neons
5 zebra danios
6 peppered cory
1 guppy

any thoughts? feel free to move one to the other ect.
I would go option 1 with a Dwarf Gourami, I would also consider leaving out the Mollies in favor of a few more Guppies.

Top Bottom