Stocking A 20h gallon tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by happygolucky, Aug 2, 2015.

1. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

My tank is not cycled yet, but I would like to decide beforehand what I want in my 20gallon high fish tank. I want a dwarf gourami definitely, and I want 10 neon tetras. However, I have read that gouramis do eat smaller fish, so would 10 staying together be able to fend off the gourami, or do I need to choose a different tetra? If I could keep a dwarf gourami along with 10 neons, could I fit any other fish or is that the max?

For food, does anyone know of some good brands for flakes, and whatever else I could feed these fish?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I don't think a dwarf gourami is going to be able to eat neon tetras, maybe some of the very large varieties of gouramis but definitely not the dwarf variety.

You could do a school of dwarf corydoras for the bottom of the tank, if you keep up with maintenance (You'd be filling the tank to max stock in my opinion)

3. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

An entire school? If you think that they would fit then yeah I would love some bottom feeders. If I'm going to purchase 17 fish, I had a plan to not overload the bioload. I want to start with the gourami, and let it settle in for a week, then add 3 cory's per week for 2 weeks, then do 2-3 neons per week. I would like to get the schools together as fast as possible, but I feel like that would hurt the fish more than making them wait for others of their kind would. What would you suggest as a plan to not go over my bioload when getting fish?

4. LiterallyHydro

Since the bio-load of the neon tetras are very low overall, I don't think they will be a problem to introduce the full school at once.

Here's what I would do

Week 1: Dwarf gourami
    Week 2: Corydoras
    Week 4: Neon tetras

The reason I would wait so long with the neons is they are very sensitive and it would be a good idea to make sure the tank is very stable before introducing them to the tank. In a stable environment they aren't overly delicate though.

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I agree with LH. DGs aren't going to be able to eat neons.
    But with dwarf cories, two of the species (C. hastatus and C. pygmaeus) are more middle dwellers than bottom dwellers. Corydoras habrosus is a bottom dweller though and would work in my opinion.

6. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Ok thanks, and do you recommend Cardinals instead? I really like neons but I only ever see people complaining about how weak they are.

7. LiterallyHydro

I prefer cardinals because I like the full stripe they have, but the neons will be fine if you get them from a reputable LFS or order them. You just want to make sure the source you get them from has healthy stock and you drip acclimate them.

8. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Habrosus are awesome :D And they'd definitely stay out of the others' way.

9. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

I have a 20 gallon high as well and your stocking plan is some what similar to mine. The difference being that my center piece fish is a betta with 8 harlequin rasboras Instead of a dwarf gourami and neon tetras. So with that being said I think that your stocking plan is alright. For the bottom part of the tank you could add a school of 6 otocinclus catfish or as literallyhydro suggested dwarf corydoras. After that I think that your tank would be full stocked. I am still new to fish keeping myself so I would also get other people's thoughts and suggestions.

For fish flakes I feed my fish omega one super color tropical fish flakes. Both my betta and harlequins seem to really enjoy them.

10. Anders247

Cardinals do better in higher temps. Adding to why neons are so sensitive is that they don't do well in temps above 74....

11. f2002

f2002Valued MemberMember

I have a young cinnamon dwarf gourami in my 20 gallon long tank and I've never seen it be aggressive at all towards any small fish in the tank. The neon tetras don't pay him any mind.

12. Anders247

What is a cinnamon dwarf gourami? Could you post a pic? Just wondering as I have never heard of that variant. I think it could be either a misnamed honey gourami or the sunset variant of thick-lipped gourami.

13. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

I don't have the stuff for drip acclimation, I would do the method of adding tank water to the bag(multiple rounds of course) while the bag is floating, then netting the fish out of the bag and putting them in the tank.

14. LiterallyHydro

15. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Do they need special food? I'm planning on using omega one super color tropical fish flakes(as suggested below, and it had great reviews) for the regular fish, but I thought that the corydoras would need veggie/algae wafers.

16. f2002

f2002Valued MemberMember

It looks just like a honey dwarf gourami except instead of yellow-gold color, it is sort of a light marmalade orange color. The LFS had about 10 of them in a giant 150 gallon tank tank (along with a bunch of gold rams). I asked very specifically whether this is a small kind of gourami and the owner said it will not grow beyond 2 inches.

My tank's light is off for now but I will post a picture tomorrow when I get home from work. :;dete

17. LiterallyHydro

When I had corydoras, I wouldn't feed them anything different from the other fish. They would eat whatever food fell to the bottom. Sinking pellets are particularly good for them since you can ensure they get their fair share of food.

18. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

I saw a 3$ kit on Dr.FosterSmith and I will purchase that, I have a pot reserved for fish stuff. However, I don't know if my other fish would enjoy 72-74 degree water that the neons would enjoy. Could I have it at 78?

19. LiterallyHydro

I think you could have neons in 78 degrees. While I have not yet fact checked what Anders said about neons being in temps above 74, I'll take his word on it and say you should probably go with cardinals instead of neons if you want to keep the tank at 78.

20. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

yeah I'll do that(how about 7 instead of 10 since they're larger?). A question about the corys, I have gravel, and not sand, would they be ok on that? I don't want them rubbing their stomachs raw on some rough gravel(it's the colorful stuff they sell at PetSmart, small, but randomly shaped).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice