Stocking A 20gal Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jtwizz, Apr 10, 2017.

1. jtwizz

jtwizz Valued Member Member

Hi all! I'm relatively new here, and I firstly want to thank everyone I've encountered so far, who have educated me on the proper way to keep my goldfish. I am planning to rehome my babies to a large tank or pond soon, but in the meantime I am looking ahead to what kind of fish I can keep in the 20gal tank that will be vacated. I do not want anything tropical as I prefer not to have to mess about with heaters. I don't care for Bettas so that's out. I have three young kids who like to watch lots of fish swim around, so if there's some kind that I could get a lot of (without overstocking of course) that would be ideal. Thanks in advance!

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows, bloodfin tetras, buenos aires tetras, dojo loaches, pearl danios & red cherry shrimp are all cold water inhabitants that would be suitable for your tank and are relatively common in pet stores.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would still recommend getting a heater to keep the temperature stable.

You could have
    8-10 WCMM or CPD Or 6-8 Odessa barbs, gold barbs, Buenos aires tetras, bloodfin tetras, leopard danios, glo danios or zebra danios.
    3 variatus platies
    6-8 peppered cories
    5 amano shrimp
    2 nerite snails
    Dojo loaches need a 4 foot tank minimum

4. MaddieTaylah

Oops, okay then.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. BottomDweller

Yeah it's just because they usually get to around 10 inches and are pretty active (at least mine are) and are social.

6. MaddieTaylah

I didn't know haha! I just knew they were cold water fish so I wrote them on my list forgetting about the fact that's it's only a 20 gallon tank.

7. OP
    OP
    jtwizz

The temperature in my house is quite stable. we keep it at 72 degrees F year-round, and the tank is located in the main living area. I do have a thermometer in the tank to monitor temperature changes but it's never gone below 70. I'd be more concerned about it getting too warm during the late spring/early summer months before we start the air conditioners. (it has been as high as 84).

Is all that for one tank? or would it be an either/or situation? Also, I have kept snails in the past, and had issues with their shells getting holes in them. what causes that and how might i prevent it in the future?

8. BottomDweller

Yeah all for one tank but take note of the "or". Just do one school.

I think the shells getting holes is if the hardness or Ph is too low but I could be wrong.

I would class 84f as tropical lol

9. MaddieTaylah

Yeah, I believe the holes in the shells might be caused by a lack of calcium.

10. OP
    OP
    jtwizz

That's so odd. The tap water where I live is super hard.

Yea it's usually only like that for a couple days at the end of may/beginning of June before I get too hot and make my husband put the air conditioners in lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice