stocking a 20g tank... Please help!

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am really unsure on how many fish can be kept in a 20g tank??? I would like it to be a community tank but i dont want it to be to overcrowded in there. I already have a BN pleco and i would like some fish with a lot of colour.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Emily

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i am interested in any type of colorful fish, i am breeding guppies at the moment and i really like them but i don't really want a tank full of the same sort of fish. does anyone know how many fish i can put in a 80 liter tank with my catfish (that are colorful).

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i like the idea of Dwarf Cichlids could i put other fish in with them though?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on which species of DC you look at, some are more aggressive/territorial, others prefer different water parameters (particularly pH ranges) which may conflict with a 'standard' community setup.

Also, whilst some can be peaceful, some DC don't like too much activity (such as a school of tetras).

I'd check out a few profiles, then ask for opinions here. But generally, all cichlids require caves/hiding places (especially if they breed)

The apisto borellii is reportedly a peaceful species of DC.

Some of our Cichlid friends will probably be able to offer more insight.

GBR (another DC) are generally kept quite succesfully in a community.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many fish will depend on how big they get, so there's no real set number. Going by the 1" of adult fish/gallon, which isn't terribly accurate, you're probably looking at 15" of fish, which will probably be between 6 and 10 more fish. Just depending on size, waste produced, any live plants, etc.

Since you're looking for colorful fish, are you looking for any other criteria? Schooling or nonschooling? Would you want both if possible, or it doesn't matter?

Some schooling fish:
Neons
Cardinals
Serpae tetras
Cherry barbs
Green barbs
Danio erythromicron (dwarf emerald rasbora)
Danio brigittae (chili rasbora)
Danio galaxy (galaxy rasbora)

Non-schooling but can keep in multiples:
Endlers
Platys
Swordtails

Non-schooling and can probably only fit 1:
Trichogaster chuna (honey/sunset gourami)
*Colisa lalia (dwarf gourami)

*I'd probably stay away from DGs though, to avoid any issues with Dwarf Gourami Disease, AKA iridovirus.

You'd probably have to stick with small schools if you went that route, and certain schooling fish are more likely to become aggressive and nippy in small schools. I might go with maybe a trio of swordtails as a nice centerpiecey kind of fish and 5-6 neons maybe to round it out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom