20 Gallon Tank Stocking a 20g Long

omordn

Hi everyone,

I know others have asked the same question I'm about to ask, but thought I'd still post a thread considering that I may also have some follow up questions.

Anyway, what would y'all recommend I'd stock my 20g long with? Right now, I have a solo male guppy and 2 nerite snails. Below is a list of what's in my tank as a quick summary:
This is a fully cycled tank and water parameters are normal: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, 6.5 pH.

Here is an idea I've been thinking of as to how I can possibly stock my tank with:
I used to have 5 guppies in total in a previous 10g tank but only 1 guppy survived (LFS had a horrible stock) which is why I have a lone rider in a 20g. I don't want my guppy to feel lonely which is why I'm foregoing the "main fish" in this tank. Previously, I was considering either a Betta as my main fish or a honey gourami.

How does this sound? Can I get a sanity check that my pH level will not affect any of the fish I'm thinking of adding?

Thanks in advance.

Linda1234

The population is fine; chance the fishes will pick on the shrimp... but otherwise fine.

omordn

The population is fine; chance the fishes will pick on the shrimp... but otherwise fine.
I think fish in general may here and there bother shrimp. I plan on adding more plants to my aquarium so there can be ample hiding spots for the shrimp.

My goal is to finish my aquascape (adding more plants and rocks), then introduce the shrimp, then introduce the guppies, and finally, introduce the neon tetras.

Linda1234

The shrimp require a mature aquarium so they should probably be added a few months after the fishes. I realize you want to 'establish' them before adding the fishes but they do best after the aquarium has aged a bit.

omordn

The shrimp require a mature aquarium so they should probably be added a few months after the fishes. I realize you want to 'establish' them before adding the fishes but they do best after the aquarium has aged a bit.
This is good to know. Thanks for this info.

Hellfishguy

Guppies won't thrive in the long run with a ph below 7.0. Adding more tetras would be a better choice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Janine5683
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views