Stocking a 20 long tank?

imisslondon

Hello everyone,

I have a 20 gallon (long) tank that has been fully cycled and is currently stocked with 4 gold dust mollies, 2 albino cory catfish, and 1 nerite snail. (No plants.) I have since learned that the cory like to school and are happier in larger numbers, and I definitely want them to be happy. (I would also love for them to be more confident during feeding times due to the mollies, but that’s a different thread altogether.)

Do you think my tank size will support 2 or 4 more cory cats? I do weekly water changes of 25-50% and have an external filter.

If I can support more cory catfish, do you think they will school with emerald or panda cories? (I’ve read that they prefer to school with the same kind.)

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!

BigManAquatics

Easily can add 4 more, maybe more. I would stick with the albinos, or what the albinos came from. Can't remember what the base usually is for the albino cories.

Upvote 0

imisslondon

Awesome! This is exciting news. We will pick up four more this weekend. Thanks for the feedback, it’s much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Coradee

Welcome to Fishlore
If your albinos are C.aenus which is most likely then you could add bronze or ‘emerald’ aenus as they’re all the same species however they may not shoal well, some members have observed the albinos tend to stick together rather than mingle with other colours.
I’d suggest just getting more albinos as you’ll see more natural behaviour when kept in a single species group

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum. I agree you have room for more corys now, and that you should get the same species. I did want to point out a couple of things for you to think about.
  • If you have male and female mollies it may become overstocked in the future.
  • I quit keeping mollies because I got tired of them following the corys around and stealing every morsel of food they found. You might have better luck. Feeding the corys after it's dark, with the tank lights off, might work.

Upvote 0

imisslondon

Thanks Coradee, yes, we will get four more albinos. We want them to be as happy as possible.

JettsPapa, I share your frustration in regards to feeding. I feed the cories at night, and thus far, they seem to be getting enough to eat, but I sometimes wonder about them. In hindsight, I probably would have chosen to stock the tank differently. I was unaware of what voracious feeders the mollies are. I have read other users see increased confidence in their catfish at feeding time with greater numbers, so I’m hoping to see the same.

I have one male and three female mollies. They have not reproduced yet, but if they do, we have a separate breeder’s net and empty quarantine tank to mitigate the situation if/when the situation arises. If need be, we will give the male molly away.

What fish did you opt for after getting rid of the mollies?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

. . . What fish did you opt for after getting rid of the mollies?

That was in my 40 gallon breeder tank. I went through quite a few before getting to a point where I was happy with it, but you can look at "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see what I have in that tank now, and the other two that have fish (the others are shrimp and snails only).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fiercebettas
  • Question
Replies
Views
bettafairy
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics