Stocking A 20 Gallon.

Nicole B

Currently we have
3 mollies, 2 Dalmatian, 1 ballon
2 nerite snails
2 fry

20 gallon tank. (High)
Once we want more fish what could we get???
What fish do good with mollies?
Can we get a bottom feeder?

Our ph is pretty high. (8.2)

Hunter1

Corys would be my choice.

Nicole B

Fredward

Nicole B said:
Thank you! Do those get real big?
Depends on the species but generally 3 inches (8 cm) or under is the typical for most species of cory.

Nicole B

Fredward said:
Depends on the species but generally 3 inches (8 cm) or under is the typical for most species of cory.
Thanks!! Are those the only bottom feeders that stay small?

aquatickeeper

You have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss it.

Fredward

Nicole B said:
Thanks!! Are those the only bottom feeders that stay small?
Some species of loaches possibly although you'd have to research the species carefully. There's a lot of variability between different types. KuhlI loaches come to mind (especially black kuhlI loaches, which stay near three inches) but I think your PH is a fair bit too high for them.

Hunter1

The 20 high has a pretty small footprint, many say the minimum size for corys is a 20 long but I have them in a couple of 20 talls.

They should be kept in numbers of at least 6.

Pigmy corys rarely reach 2”, pepper corys are the biggest I keep and the females gets to about 3.5”.

They don’t bother anyone and clean up the left over food that hits the bottom of the tank.

They are one of my favorite fish and IMO a tank isn’t complete until I add corys.

You might reach out to aquatickeeper who offered to help with your stocking.

Nicole B

Hunter1 said:
The 20 high has a pretty small footprint, many say the minimum size for corys is a 20 long but I have them in a couple of 20 talls.

Pigmy corys rarely reach 2”, pepper corys are the biggest I keep and the females gets to about 3.5”.

They don’t bother anyone and clean up the left over food that hits the bottom of the tank.

They are one of my favorite fish and IMO a tank isn’t complete until I add corys.

Hunter1 said:

How many do you have in a 20 high?

Hunter1

I keep them in groups of 6. There are times I have introduced 4 so the bioload doesn’t shock the cycle, but added 2 or more in a few weeks.

I have 6 in 2 20 talls, 6 in a 20 long, 6 in a 29 and 7 in a 36.

Different subspecies depending on water temperature, and one case availability.

Nicole B

Hunter1 said:
I keep them in groups of 6. There are times I have introduced 4 so the bioload doesn’t shock the cycle, but added 2 or more in a few weeks.

I have 6 in 2 20 talls, 6 in a 20 long, 6 in a 29 and 7 in a 36.

Different subspecies depending on water temperature, and one case availability.
Is that all you have in your tank or do you have other fish too?

Hunter1

Other fish, betta and snails in 20 long, baby guppies and snails in 20 talls, harlequin rasporas in the 29 and still deciding on additional stock and guppies, cherry barbs, snails, honey gouramis in 36.

The 36 is overstocked requiring frequent, 50% water changes.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom