Stocking A 20 Gallon.

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Thank you! Do those get real big?
Depends on the species but generally 3 inches (8 cm) or under is the typical for most species of cory.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fredward said:
Depends on the species but generally 3 inches (8 cm) or under is the typical for most species of cory.
Thanks!! Are those the only bottom feeders that stay small?

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Thanks!! Are those the only bottom feeders that stay small?
Some species of loaches possibly although you'd have to research the species carefully. There's a lot of variability between different types. Kuhli loaches come to mind (especially black kuhli loaches, which stay near three inches) but I think your PH is a fair bit too high for them.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The 20 high has a pretty small footprint, many say the minimum size for corys is a 20 long but I have them in a couple of 20 talls.

They should be kept in numbers of at least 6.

Pigmy corys rarely reach 2”, pepper corys are the biggest I keep and the females gets to about 3.5”.

They don’t bother anyone and clean up the left over food that hits the bottom of the tank.

They are one of my favorite fish and IMO a tank isn’t complete until I add corys.

You might reach out to aquatickeeper who offered to help with your stocking.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hunter1 said:
The 20 high has a pretty small footprint, many say the minimum size for corys is a 20 long but I have them in a couple of 20 talls.

Pigmy corys rarely reach 2”, pepper corys are the biggest I keep and the females gets to about 3.5”.

They don’t bother anyone and clean up the left over food that hits the bottom of the tank.

They are one of my favorite fish and IMO a tank isn’t complete until I add corys.

Hunter1 said:

How many do you have in a 20 high?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I keep them in groups of 6. There are times I have introduced 4 so the bioload doesn’t shock the cycle, but added 2 or more in a few weeks.

I have 6 in 2 20 talls, 6 in a 20 long, 6 in a 29 and 7 in a 36.

Different subspecies depending on water temperature, and one case availability.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hunter1 said:
I keep them in groups of 6. There are times I have introduced 4 so the bioload doesn’t shock the cycle, but added 2 or more in a few weeks.

I have 6 in 2 20 talls, 6 in a 20 long, 6 in a 29 and 7 in a 36.

Different subspecies depending on water temperature, and one case availability.
Is that all you have in your tank or do you have other fish too?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom