Stocking a 20 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by RyanS, Jun 3, 2016.

1. RyanSNew MemberMember

I have a rubberlip pleco currently in the tank. My idea was:
    -1 blue gourami
    -1 rubberlip pleco(already in tank)
    -4 cory cats
    -6 black skirt tetras
    Does this work? If not, please leave other ideas/recommendations below. Thanks!

2. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

TexasDomer is pretty good with stocking questions. I do know you need at least six cory cats of the same species type.

3. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

Ok we'll go in order for your stocking idea.

A blue gourami gets about 6" and imo that's pushing it for a 20 gallon. I'd go with a variety that stays a bit smaller; perhaps a sunset thicklip or a variety of dwarf gourami.

A rubber lip pleco also gets quite big at 10". Minimum tank requirement (according to petsmart website) is 29 gallons. That being said, maybe see about rehoming him and doing a school of 6 of the smaller cory cats. If you stick with the pleco I wouldn't do cories.

I'm not sure about the tetras but I think they'd be alright. I'll let someone with experience with them answer that one. =)

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There are a few plecos given the common name rubberlip, but I think many (or some) of them stay small (~4"). I personally wouldn't do a pleco in a 20 gal high though.

Is this a 20 gal long or high?

No blue gourami, but 6 cory cats of the same species and 6 black skirt tetra should work.

5. Themaniac19Valued MemberMember

Ditch the gourami. If it's high, ditch the cories as well. The rubber lip should be fine. I have one in my 20H, but if it gets too big I can throw him in the 55gal.

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Do a honey or dwarf gourami instead of the blue gourami, which gets too big for a 20g.

Cories would be fine in a 20h but they do need to be in groups of 6+ of their own type.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice