Stocking a 20 gallon tank

1. RyanS Initiate Member

I have a rubberlip pleco currently in the tank. My idea was:
    -1 blue gourami
    -1 rubberlip pleco(already in tank)
    -4 cory cats
    -6 black skirt tetras
    Does this work? If not, please leave other ideas/recommendations below. Thanks!

2. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

TexasDomer is pretty good with stocking questions. I do know you need at least six cory cats of the same species type.

3. Airth Member Member

Ok we'll go in order for your stocking idea.

A blue gourami gets about 6" and imo that's pushing it for a 20 gallon. I'd go with a variety that stays a bit smaller; perhaps a sunset thicklip or a variety of dwarf gourami.

A rubber lip pleco also gets quite big at 10". Minimum tank requirement (according to petsmart website) is 29 gallons. That being said, maybe see about rehoming him and doing a school of 6 of the smaller cory cats. If you stick with the pleco I wouldn't do cories.

I'm not sure about the tetras but I think they'd be alright. I'll let someone with experience with them answer that one. =)

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

There are a few plecos given the common name rubberlip, but I think many (or some) of them stay small (~4"). I personally wouldn't do a pleco in a 20 gal high though.

Is this a 20 gal long or high?

No blue gourami, but 6 cory cats of the same species and 6 black skirt tetra should work.

5. Themaniac19 Member Member

Ditch the gourami. If it's high, ditch the cories as well. The rubber lip should be fine. I have one in my 20H, but if it gets too big I can throw him in the 55gal.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Do a honey or dwarf gourami instead of the blue gourami, which gets too big for a 20g.

Cories would be fine in a 20h but they do need to be in groups of 6+ of their own type.