Stocking a 20 Gallon Long! Nano Fish? Shrimp?

MJohnson

I am going to start my 20 gallon long build. I went to pull out my 20 gallon long last weekend and the bottom was cracked! Although it was not all the way through it I was nervous enough not to use it even after testing to see if it still held water. Fortunately, I was able to order one online and it arrived today! I am going to use some substrate and filter media from my other tank to get it started.

I originally wanted to do the following:
However, I keep hearing mixed reviews about CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danios) and Cherry Shrimp. Thus, I am not sure if I want to go with the original stock minus the shrimp or go with a shrimp and oto tank. Would love to hear everyone's opinions.

Okidoki

I am going to start my 20 gallon long build. I went to pull out my 20 gallon long last weekend and the bottom was cracked! Although it was not all the way through it I was nervous enough not to use it even after testing to see if it still held water. Fortunately, I was able to order one online and it arrived today! I am going to use some substrate and filter media from my other tank to get it started.

I originally wanted to do the following:
  • 6 Otos
  • 6-8 Habrosus Cories
  • 6-12 Ember Tetras
  • 20-30 CPDs
  • Neocaridina Shrimp
However, I keep hearing mixed reviews about CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danios) and Cherry Shrimp. Thus, I am not sure if I want to go with the original stock minus the shrimp or go with a shrimp and oto tank. Would love to hear everyone's opinions.
As long as the tank has plants where the shrimps can hide, it should be fine. Btw , 6 otos might be too much for a 20 gallon. Though it is better to keep them in groups of 6 , they will eat and run out of algae pretty quick and starve. Ive hear stories of otos not eating algae wafers.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I have CPD's in a 20 gallon long with my cull shrimp. The shrimp colony seems to be thriving, and as far as I can tell the CPD's ignore them.

Upvote 0

MJohnson

As long as the tank has plants where the shrimps can hide, it should be fine. Btw , 6 otos might be too much for a 20 gallon. Though it is better to keep them in groups of 6 , they will eat and run out of algae pretty quick and starve. Ive hear stories of otos not eating algae wafers.

Interesting. I will do some more research on them. I believe a 20 gallon long should be enough room depending upon the other fish I put in there. However, I may just go without them. I am still very undecided. I really want shrimp, cories, and CPDs. I could live without otos for now.
I have CPD's in a 20 gallon long with my cull shrimp. The shrimp colony seems to be thriving, and as far as I can tell the CPD's ignore them.

That is great news! I am still going to wait to see other opinions, but I may try it and just let the shrimp colony grow out before I get the CPDs. If it doesn't work out I may just do a shrimp only tank.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

That is great news! I am still going to wait to see other opinions, but I may try it and just let the shrimp colony grow out before I get the CPDs. If it doesn't work out I may just do a shrimp only tank.

Give the shrimp plenty of places to hide and they should be okay (the CPD's like hiding places too, though mine are out and about quite a bit of the time).

Upvote 0

MJohnson

Give the shrimp plenty of places to hide and they should be okay (the CPD's like hiding places too, though mine are out and about quite a bit of the time).

This gives me hope. Now I just have to decide what kind of shrimp I would like to get. I am thinking that maybe I will do:
That would put me at 102% stocked. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Coradee

The stocking looks ok to me except shrimp.
I found when I kept amanos with cherries the amanos bullied the cherries off the food, I don’t know if ghost shrimp are quite as forceful as I’ve not kept those. I’d suggest just keeping one kind of shrimp

Upvote 0

MJohnson

The stocking looks ok to me except shrimp.
I found when I kept amanos with cherries the amanos bullied the cherries off the food, I don’t know if ghost shrimp are quite as forceful as I’ve not kept those. I’d suggest just keeping one kind of shrimp
Sounds good. Thank you for your input.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
  • Question
Replies