Stocking A 20 Gallon Freshwater Tank

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! So recently we completely cleaned out my 20 gallon tank, and I get the chance to start fresh. Last time I had gravel and while it was pretty, it got very frustrating to clean and in general I had always just regretted not trying sand. Now that I have the chance, I’m very excited, and I realized that I can now have some of the fish I’ve always wanted but couldn’t because of the gravel. All in all, I was hoping for-

1 center piece dwarf gourami
A school of Khuli loaches
Possibly cories??

I was wondering if these fish would work together, although I’m relatively sure they do. As well as possible other tank mates that could work with these. I could bear giving up the cories, but I am pretty set with the gourami and loaches. I’d appreciate any suggestions!

- Caroline

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Personally, I'd do a trio of honey gouramis instead of a dwarf gourami (Iridovirus and dwarf gourami disease are a big problem with them), Loaches and cory's might be a bit too busy on the bottom
After that, how about a school of neon tetras and a school of hatchetfish

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
Personally, I'd do a trio of honey gouramis instead of a dwarf gourami (Iridovirus and dwarf gourami disease are a big problem with them), Loaches and cory's might be a bit too busy on the bottom
After that, how about a school of neon tetras and a school of hatchetfish
Oh that’s an idea! I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Yes, I was thinking the cories might be a bit much with the loaches. And I would love neon tetras, those were actually the main fish I wanted to go along with the gouramis! They just make such a nice pair. And I’ll definitely look into hatchetfish as well, I didn’t think of those. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. Do you have any experience with neon tetras? I’ve heard they can be delicate.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
I do have experience with neons, they're quite hardy actually.
Oh really? Well that’ll be great for me. Thank you for everything! I think once my tank is well established I’ll probably start off with gouramis, khuli loaches, and a school of neon tetras.

Oh one more question if you don’t mind! You said that it might be best to get a trio of honey gouramis. Should all of them be one gender or a mix?

Lajos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't have good experience with Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras..
I find that they die too easily.
Even when the fish shopkeeper tried to catch the Neon Tetras for me, he was so careful in catching them and putting them in the plastic bag for me. They are not a hardy fish.
And if your fish is infected with Neon Tetra disease, it may wipe out all your Neon Tetras.

But if you don't mind, you can get at least 6-8 of them for your tank.(it's better not to be less than 6 as they are schooling fish)

The more hardy schooling fish are like Rummy Nose Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, etc.

I agree with Nikm that you have two groups of bottom level fish - Loach and Cory.
It's good to have a middle or top level fish like Neon, Cardinal, Rummy Nose Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras.

Hatchets are also suitable as they are top level fish.

Try to have fish in different levels so that you will have fish swimming in all levels at all time and your tank won't look so empty. Also, it will prevent them from fighting over territories.

If you like Cory over Loach, you have to look for the smaller species of Cory because some Cory can grow quite large.
The smaller species of Cory are like the Pygmy Cory and they are cute.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom