Stocking A 20 Gal?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by wolfgangfish, Jul 13, 2018.

1. wolfgangfish

wolfgangfish Valued Member Member

yo, so I finally got around to buying a 20g for my 3 Platy (all female) and I was thinking I might wanna add some variety to the tank. Any ideas? Water temp is 80f and I have a bubbler and filter going, sand vac and 20-30% water change weekly. Tank is cycled and has some live plants (thinking about trying my hand at carpeting but that’s a whole other thread) any ideas on some peaceful fish who’ll do fine in a 20g with 3 Platy?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Is this a 20 tall (24 in) or a 20 long (30 in)?

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would lower the temperature to around 73f, 80 is a little high for platies.

At 73f you could do something like this in a 20 long
    3 platies
    8 panda cories
    8-10 neon tetras or 10-12 celestial pearl danios
    6 Amano shrimp
    1 nerite snail

4. OP
    OP
    wolfgangfish

20 long

Oooh I’ve always liked panda cories, I’d need a sand substrate wouldn’t i? (Its bare bottome right now)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
  5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Then @BottomDweller offeres some good suggestions :)

6. BottomDweller

A sandy substrate would be ideal:)

Also speaking from experience may I recommend a dark coloured sand. I have a very understocked tank with white sand which has water changes every other day but still looks awful because the poop sits in top of the white sand and really stands out.

7. techfool

techfool Well Known Member Member

I love panda cories so vote for them. Is the water hard?
    I've given up on tetras in hard water.
    You could get a bristlenose catfish. They max out at about 4 inches though I did see a monster variety in the LFS. They do dig up plants. Mine digs up all the plants around his hidey-hole so the aquascape in that tank is a bit rubbish but I love her more than I love the plants.
    Cherry barbs are peaceful and the males colour up very red once they settle in. They don't need to be in big numbers either.
    I love danios for their activity and joie de vivre and they help shyer fish feel more confident.
    The fish I recommend do well at lower temperatures, I run my main tank on the cool side. In summer the heater doesn't even come on.

8. OP
    OP
    wolfgangfish

I was thinking white sand bc it would be easier to see the poop to pick up but I’ll think I’ll take your advice on the dark sand, them Platy are waste machines lol

9. salera

salera New Member Member

I would go with cories or otos, both are cool bottom fish, The cories are tons of fun when they play personally I love the salt and pepper or skunk

10. BottomDweller

This tank only has a couple of shrimp and snails and I siphon out waste every other day lol 20180714_094739.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    wolfgangfish

ok so this is how i plan on stocking, lemme know what you think: 3 all female platy (no chance of babes) about 5 panda cories, and a honey gourami. think this will be alright for a 20 g? (wouldn't add them all at once of course)

12. BottomDweller

That would be fine for a 20. I would probably do a couple more cories personally.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice