Stocking A 150g (5x2x2)

Frosties

Reaction score
HI guys, I currently have a 55 gallon but am looking to upgrade to a 5 foot 150g, looking for some appropriate stocking ideas for American cichlids. I currently have an Oscar growing out in the 55 but have no problems moving it on as I know this would limit my stocking for the new tank. Thank you all in advance

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 150 will make a good. Home for an Oscar.

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could do 2 Oscars in a 150, with plenty of space for them to swim around. I think you'd also have some space for some dither fish as well.
I think Giant Danios would do good with Oscars.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Frosties said:
HI guys, I currently have a 55 gallon but am looking to upgrade to a 5 foot 150g, looking for some appropriate stocking ideas for American cichlids. I currently have an Oscar growing out in the 55 but have no problems moving it on as I know this would limit my stocking for the new tank. Thank you all in advance

where the heck did you find a 5 foot 150g? I've never seen one. like the others said, maybe a pair of Oscars? Or maybe a really big cichlid community?

OP
F

Frosties

Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
where the heck did you find a 5 foot 150g? I've never seen one. like the others said, maybe a pair of Oscars? Or maybe a really big cichlid community?
A 5x2x2 holds 566 liters or 150 gallons(that is US maybe you were thinking of UK gallons?),
What kind of cichlids would work well for a large community?

Ed204 said:
You could do 2 Oscars in a 150, with plenty of space for them to swim around. I think you'd also have some space for some dither fish as well.
I think Giant Danios would do good with Oscars.
Giant danios are nice, what other possibilities are there? Also do you think a bichir (thinking delhezi) could work in a tank with a pair of oscars and some dithers?

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Frosties said:
A 5x2x2 holds 566 liters or 150 gallons(that is US maybe you were thinking of UK gallons?),

Giant danios are nice, what other possibilities are there? Also do you think a bichir (thinking delhezi) could work in a tank with a pair of oscars and some dithers?

I understand the dimensions. I was just wowed because I have a 6 foot 150gallon. And I've only ever seen a 4 foot 150 gallon otherwise maybe severums? Or geophagus? There's a lot of smaller ones like firemouth and acaras too. Or maybe uaru? maybe a mix of small to medium cichlids. Or maybe you could do a "wet pet" and get a flowerhorn

Sepehr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would personally rehome the Oscar and get a group of 10 Discus if I were you

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sepehr said:
I would personally rehome the Oscar and get a group of 10 Discus if I were you
I wouldn't do that at all, especially since the Oscar is already there. Re-homing fish isn't something you can just do. However, I understand it's in your personal opinion

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Frosties said:

I would stick to the Oscars. Bichirs would be another thing to deal with.

I personally think that Giant Danios would be the best option in your tank. I would recommend Silver Dollars, but they grow big, their active and most people prefer them to be in a 6 foot tank. A 5 foot tank would be okay for a group of 5-6 or possibly a little more however, the oscar (s) might feel cramped and cramped fish are aggressive fish

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike1995 said:
I understand the dimensions. I was just wowed because I have a 6 foot 150gallon. And I've only ever seen a 4 foot 150 gallon otherwise maybe severums? Or geophagus? There's a lot of smaller ones like firemouth and acaras too. Or maybe uaru? maybe a mix of small to medium cichlids. Or maybe you could do a "wet pet" and get a flowerhorn
I wouldn't go with a Sev, most people have kept Sevs with Oscars however, I think that Sevs are generally peaceful fish and can be easily be pushed around and harrased by an Oscar.

However, in the end it depends on your fish if they decide to get along. Some fish can get along for years and suddenly one of them snaps and kills or brutally injured the other fish.

fishychachki

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're keeping the oscar in the 150g, your options are limited to other bigger and/or more aggressive as well. Red devil, midas, green terror, red terror. Things like that. Other options would be peaceful giants like severum or medium-sized nasties like convict.

I think 2-3 convicts with the oscar may be fine in the 150 gallon but idk if it is enough for more than one additional larger cichlid.

vikingkirken

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In a tank that size, I'd be looking into hoplarchus psittacus, or a group of geophagus. However, I'm no expert in combining large cichlids, so I'm not sure what would go together.

With this tank size and large fish, I'd be posting over at Monster Fish Keepers for ideas as well

Sepehr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ed204 said:
I wouldn't do that at all, especially since the Oscar is already there. Re-homing fish isn't something you can just do. However, I understand it's in your personal opinion
I mean, first rehome the Oscar and then get a group of 10 Discus

Severums will not work because Oscar is going to eat them right away!
a few Convicts would be your best bet IMO

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sepehr said:

That would depend on the size of the Sev. Sevs can grow up to 8 inches or possibly more

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sepehr said:

A few convicts or another Oscar could work as well.

Sepehr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ed204 said:
That would depend on the size of the Sev. Sevs can grow up to 8 inches or possibly more
I know but are not they too timid and shy to live with a Giant predator?

Ed204 Sorry if my posts sound a little bit rude I do not really mean it

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishychachki said:
If you're keeping the oscar in the 150g, your options are limited to other bigger and/or more aggressive as well. Red devil, midas, green terror, red terror. Things like that. Other options would be peaceful giants like severum or medium-sized nasties like convict.

I think 2-3 convicts with the oscar may be fine in the 150 gallon but idk if it is enough for more than one additional larger cichlid.

I'm just letting you know right now, do not put an Oscar with a Midas or red devil or any big aggressive cichlid. Just a disaster waiting to happen. I have a big tank with both Midas and RD. Oscars can be aggressive. And eat eat eat. But do not match up against others. Just don't do it.

sweendog87

Reaction score
I say rehome the oscar and go with
Geos
Severum
Acaras
And viejas
And dithers
Peaceful American tanks are awsome

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sepehr said:
I know but are not they too timid and shy to live with a Giant predator?

Ed204 Sorry if my posts sound a little bit rude I do not really mean it
Hahaha, it's totally fine. Severums can live with Oscars however, it depends on your Oscar if it will be okay with the Sev or not. Sevs can be mean if they choose to but they're more of the laid back cichldis.

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sevs and oscars are fine Oscars have a bad reputation because they eat anything that will fit in there mouths. This does not make them aggressive just hungry if it won't fit in it's mouth they generally leave it alone, severums are peaceful but will stand up for themselves and give back as good as they get

New Threads