Stocking a 100 around angels

1. da bear Initiate Member

I Have a 100 gallon in the process of cycling. I have 5 nickel sized angels in it.

Its a 60 x 18 inch 100g, black gravel and a few rocks and a one big plastic plant. Its @ 79F with two 250 watt submersibles set at 79F. Two penguin 500gph with bio wheels. ( I plan on a sump with a siphon interrupt and a 750 gph flow, but its only 80% built.)

In another month I would like to add 3-4 juvenile rainbow cichlids, same for keyholes, and a port. Also a bottom feeder, a cory, CAE, or clown loach. I have a 33 yo pleco, and don't want to start another young one.

Can t his be done??? What are the alternatives??

I'd like to have a few live plants, but the hood is also under constrution, early enough to where any suggestions would be appreciated as to the amount of light, type and such.

I welcome any suggestions, critics, don't be stupids, and such.

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    The angels & rainbows sound great! A school of cories would be awesome also.
    A 33 year old pleco?!?!
    How big is he??

3. da bear Initiate Member

He is about 14 inches. He cannot be killed. About ten years ago he jumped, dried almost completely out overnight and the dog chewed his tail. He was stil mouthing, so I threw him back before I went to work, planning on fishing out the body when i got home. and he did just fine.

So, you think 3-4 rainbow cichlids, 3-4 keyholes, and perhaps a bolivian ram, or a port?

I've also looked into a checkerboard or two.

The ony non optional are the angels.

4. Regal Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

33 years old! That's awesome!

Your tank sounds really nice. Do you have pictures? Live plants would look great in a nice big tank like yours.

If you get Corydora cats you should get a bunch of them. They will be happier and you definitely have the room. Also, I've heard CAEs will bite large flat fish like angels. How about a large school of Tetras? Rummy Nose Tetras or Cardinals would look great.

My bio wheels are 350 GPH. Maybe Marineland made a new one? Either way it sounds like they are temporary while you are building your sump. I'd love to hear more about your sump.

5. Regal Well Known Member Member

He must be a tought guy to survive the dog!

What kind of Angels do you have?

6. da bear Initiate Member

The tank is still in the cycling stage. I have the tiny angels.

The filters are what the perosn who gave them to me said they were, they very well might not be.

I have searched specifically for the most peaceful of the cichlids to go with them.

That's why I want as many comments and suggestions as I can get in the next 30-40 days before I start ordering species. I want the angels to do some growing, I will probably go ahead and get the corys, but the rest will wait until I can get some input.

The sump will be about 20gallons, and since the tank is not drilled, I have built a siphon interrupt/restarter to hang on the back/side. All of it is made from acrylic sheeting and pvc. The water disperser is a series of the sandwich trays you get in some ice chests wth lots of holes in them. In my african tank I have a fry diverter, but I don't think that will be needed for this one.

I haven't built a hood yet, so plants will have to wait until then.

7. da bear Initiate Member

Two midnight lace, two black veiltail, and one leopard veiltail.

They are sorta lost in that tank right now. But they will grow.

The pleco went with off with me to college. I retire from teaching pretty soon.

We've spent some time together.:;scuba

8. Regal Well Known Member Member

Ya teeny angels would be lost in a tank that size but when they are 6-8 inches tall they won't be. They sound gorgeous.

9. Weedcali Initiate Member

Wow a 14 inch pleco... thats awesome.

Maybe you could add a couple Sharks of sorts. Bala? RBS? RTS?

10. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't sharks nip angels? :(

11. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

CAE's are beautiful, but deadly fish. I had a CAE once, only about 1.5" long. At the same time, I had a beautiful koi angel, about 3" tall. After school one day, I found my angel with a huge chunk of flesh out of his head, he died horribly a week later, i had to put him down. CAE's and angels do not mix.

Plants that match angels, I think, are amazon sword, java fern and some tall vals. I have an angel and vals, they look great together. They vals get as tall as 3-4 feet sometimes, so there are left over leaves, which look great.

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, DaBear!

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    I have blood red parrots, convicts, jack dempseys, firemouths, cories, blood red jewels, neons, guppies , platies and some others with my angels...(not all in one tank of course LOL) so the list is infinite...I would also love to see pics :)

14. erk419 Member Member

Balas shouldnt

15. Neji Member Member

Wow how do you have a pleco that lives that long!? I thought plecos live up to 10-12 yrs max! :S

16. da bear Initiate Member

OK, I think I have pretty well made a stocking plan.

Right now I have one angel, three red swortails, one cory and 4 rummy noses.

I got rid of 5 of them, actually a couple died and the LFS took back all but one I was really in love with.

I want:

3-4 more angels
    4 more rummies
    3-4 keyholes
    3-4 rainbow chichlids
    2-3 curviceps
    Maybe one firemouth????

Any ideas? Any "don't do this its stupid"s?
    Alternatives?

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I think that stocking plan looks fabulous:;perfect! Hang in for more responses in case I missed something.

18. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds great but I am worried about the small Angels that you have right now in a tank that is cycling. They are really sensitive to water quality best to be added to a tank that is established from my experience. They are also one that grows slower out of all the cichlids.

Anyway, I have 3 Angels and I keep them with Silver Dollars, RTS, Albino Bristlenose, I added 5 Giant Danios not long ago for some surface action and I hope they hold their own with my RTS since they are fast and will grow to approx. 4-6" Planning on upgrading to a 125 gallon come Spring. Already have the tank and oak stand.

19. Neji Member Member

Yeah, that is a good stock of fishes! :) Be careful though, firemouth cichlids grow up to 6" I believe, or maybe even larger.

20. da bear Initiate Member

I'm concerned about a firemouth too, but they look so good.

My water is a bit on the hard side, so rams aren't the best bet.

I guess in about another week or two I start adding in a species at a time.