Stocking a 10 gallon

1. S

Seatown12 Valued Member Member

Hi I need help stocking some fish into my 10 gallon tank all I have planned right now is:

Stocking

2-3 otocinclus (my tank has been running for about 6 months)
    2 or 3 java fern (not a fish but a plant)

I really wish a could add a single betta but I dont have a back-up plan if it doesnt work, also I really want platy fish but I dont want to have babies and if I keep all males I have read that they will be aggressive with each other. If I get all females they could have already been pregnant from before and have babies in my tank also I have read that the female platies arent as colorful as the male ones. Dwarf Gouramis are also an option but I heard they get sick very easily. I have been considering black neon tetras are they easy to keep? Can they catch the neon tetra disease too? I would like any of your opinions on what else I can add to this tank. Thank you.

Also I had a quick question since I thought it doesn't need its own thread. Is it safe to add some more gravel on top of an already established tank? I have a mix of white and black gravel and I want more black so I bought another bag of gravel, is it safe to add that on top of my old gravel without ruining the beneficial bacteria?

2. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

to start with your gravel question, it's fine to add it on top, just know that it will get mixed in with the rest of the gravel. if you want to be safe you can add it gradually, starting with just one side of the tank.

black neon tetras are somewhat sensitive to water conditions, but as long as you do regular water changes you should be fine. you would probably be okay with all male platy's as long as you get at least three males so that the aggression is dispersed.

here's a stocking list for some other ideas for you, there's also a list of other small schooling fish that would be good in a 10 gallon tank :)
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...gress-freshwater-community-stocking-list.html

3. VenomGrass

VenomGrass Valued Member Member

Hey There;
    I currently own 4 platies (2 male & 2 female) They aren't really aggressive at all - too playful to care about fighting imo lol. And as for the babies you can control to keep them or not as the mother herself will eat them. The way I think of it is that the mother is the live protein supplier for the tank ;) And if you want to keep any fry install a removable breeder net and keep inside it anything you don't want to become food (I done this and currently have a 3 week old fry) - The rest weren't so lucky but hey it's nature aint it.

Asa for the gravel I don't see it being a problem - Your not removing any your simply creating more space for it to live in. So it should work very nicely. I also have the black & white mixed gravel and really wish i'd gone for a more natural colour or just black alone. Good luck.

Hope this helped a little.
    Dan

4. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Hi. Don't know an answer to the gravel question but to make an educated assumption I think Alex is probably right.
    About Gouramis: have you read up on honey gouramis? They are a hardier gourami and a very cute little fish, I have a pair of them in my tank and all though they supposed to be shy these little guys are all over the tank, pretending to be bottom feeders when the cories are eating their pellet! They are charming fish, very fun to watch. Maybe they are something to consider for your tank. With the ottos you have, they get to be about 2" each, that's 6" of fish, so you have about 4" left to work with if I am not mistaken. This number may vary with how often you will water change and how efficient your filter is. The honeys are about an inch (so you could maybe get 4) OR two platies, my bigger one is about 2 inches so you want to consider that maximum size they could get. Platies are great two, peaceful (mine are two females and one baby) and all over the tank.
    Have fun with your decision!:;fg

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You can add gravel, no problem. Just watch for watr placement when you do. ;)
    If you're considering a DG, imo, you should steer cleer of Colisa lalia. They're very weak in the trade and prone to the uncurable Dwarf gourami disease as well as other bacterial infections.

I don't keep honey gourami (Colisa chuna) but from what I read, they can get to be 2-2.5" and can be territorial especially if they spawn.
    Having 4 in a 10g, imo, wouldn't be a good idea.

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

any gourami can be territorial...they just dont go well with others of their own kind in a 10g tank...even the ones that are shy and peaceful, can change in a second without a spot to call their own....its in their nature to do so...please remember that gouramis and bettas are very much alike when stocking them.....size of a fish wont matter when one attacks another because they dont have enough room :( ....even though dg's dont get large as far as size and biload, their attitudes can sometimes out do a fish twice their size...

this would be a fun tank with your tetras and ottos...maybe a few diffedrent types of tetras as they will school together....platies like to be with others of their own and you could do 3 platies with some ottos...

smaller tanks are much harder to keep water parimeters in check so with any stock, be ready to do extra water changes....the bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain ...

7. haedra

haedra Well Known Member Member

Not to hijack your thread, I just wanted to second this. ;)

I have a Dwarf Gourami with some corydoras, and everything was peaceful for months. Only lately did my sole gourami start to get snarky and decidedly more aggressive towards my other fish. I also have them in a 10 gallon. For now I'm trying very hard to break up the line of sight in the tank, but if that doesn't work I will have to rehome him.

I would have to go with Shawnie's advice here given on what I've experienced and recommend something without that "dark side" to them (lol). I'm not sure what Neptune's attitude problem is.. but I think he just needs more space to himself.

8. OP
    OP
    S

Alright well I am most likely going to the fish store tommorow. I was thinking of getting 3 otocinclus and 2 albino cories. Is 2 albino cories ok or do they need more? Or should I get 2 otocinclus and 3 albino cory, can I add other fish?

9. play

play Valued Member Member

I think you shold try out a halfmoon betta they are really beautiful.I had a crowntail he was forced to fight and eventually died.

10. OP
    OP
    S

I would love to keep a betta with just some otocinclus but as I said earlier I don't have a back-up plan if the betta doesnt work with the otocinclus.

11. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

!!!didn't realise my little honeys have a "dark side", I have yet to see this and still hoping it won't happen....also the LFS said they were full grown, but I suppose I might be in for a surprise. I stand corrected:;smack listen to the experts above, a learning experience for me:-[

12. OP
    OP
    S

Ok I was thinking about adding some black neon tetra to my tank but I heard all of the tetras are affected by the "neon tetra disease" and that kind of made me unsure if I wanted to get them. But I did hear cardinal tetras don't get this disease, is that true?