stocking a 10 gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by zingfan, Jul 2, 2016.

1. z

zingfan New Member Member

Almost done cycling my 10 gallon, kind of new to this and wondering if my stock is alright.
    5 neon tetras
    4 albino cories
    1 dwarf gourami
    Is this overstocked? Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. A

Angelo0719 New Member Member

aqadvisor.com has a stocking calculator. It should help you out making you decisions. Hope that helps.

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    z

I didn't buy any fish yet so not a big deal. Why is it that there is such variety on reccomendations for fish? On a lot of sites 10 gallons is enough for all the fish I want but other places people make it sound like it would be really overstocked. If I got a 20 gallon, could I just use the cycled filter and decorations and not have to cycle again? If that's alright would 20 gallons be enough for the fish I was thinking of getting?

5. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

As far as cycling, as long as you use an already cycled filter and don't let it dry out or deprive it of ammonia, transferring it over to a different tank will instantly cycle that tank, since your cycle is contained pretty much entirely in your filter and substrate and not the water itself. The biggest concern would be whether or not the filter has the capacity to properly handle a bigger tank.

6. el337

I don't know what sites you're referring to but many are inaccurate. A DG is too active for a 10g. So are neons and corys which are schooling/shoaling fish and are best kept in a group of 6+. And then when you put them all together, the 10g just becomes way too crowded and overwhelms your biofilter.

A 20g long minimum would be much more ideal and then you can keep all those fish together as well as up the schools of corys and neons, add another type of schooling fish and some shrimp/snails.

How are you cycling your current tank? What's your ammonia source? Depending on how much ammonia is being converted, you can transfer the filter and filter media over to the 20g. You would then probably need to add another filter since the one you have may not have enough gph for the larger tank.

7. OP
    OP
    z

The filter is an aqueon quietflow 20 so it should be good for a 20 gallon tank.

8. OP
    OP
    z

Would a 20 gallon high work? I am using fish food to cycle.

9. el337

An AQ20 filters 125 gph. Recommended is 8-10x the tank size so you would want 160-200 gph. I'd either add an AQ10 or upgrade to an AQ30.

What's the highest reading of ammonia were you getting with fish food? What do your current numbers look like now - pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Edit: And yes, a 20g high would work but then I wouldn't add another type of schooling fish.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice