Stocking a 10 Gallon Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SilverMIssy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy Valued Member Member

My plan after my tank has finished cycling was to introduce 2-3 amano shrimp. If all goes well and my betta is not bothered by them, my boyfriend wanted to introduce 5-6 neon tetra's. I told him 10 gallons isn't that large of a tank and we don't want to over stock it. I have read that you want to keep 1" per gallon of water.

I've also read the bare minimum you want to have for a school of neon tetra is 5. I don't want to get them and have them feeling stress from such a small group.

Would a 10 gallon tank with 1 betta, 5 or 6 neon tetra's, and 2 or 3 amano shrimp be considered too much? I was also considering the fact that my filter (aqua clear 20) is on it's slowest setting because it was far too powerful for my betta on medium; it was effortlessly pushing my betta around the tank. The current is still pretty strong now but it may not be strong enough for all those fish and shrimp.

Thoughts?

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

The 1" per gallon of fish is just a guideline and is inaccurate. A 10 gallon aquarium is pushing it for a beta and a school of neon's imo. I know a lot of people keep neons in 10 gallons but some smarter people than me on this forum have suggested that 10 gallons really isn't enough room for neons. Add the fact that you are putting a beta in there and it's pushing it even more.

My suggestion would let the beta enjoy the tank by himself with some shrimp and/or snails to keep the tank clean.

This thread will also give you some options

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...tions/200264-stocking-options-10-gallons.html

3. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

WOW, thanks! that's a really good thread. I'll look through it.

I'm definitely in agreement with you. My boyfriend really liked the neons so I just wanted to get second thoughts.

4. tyguy7760

Neons are nice. There is a reason they are so popular in the hobby. Having a 10 gallon tank really limits you. Having a 20 gallon expands what you are able to keep more than what you would expect surprisingly.

A beta would be very happy in a 10 gallon tank by himself. And he will likely leave the shrimp/snails alone.

Nerite snails are great additions to any tank. They really pretty much eat anything. Algae, fish poop, uneaten food.

Also something to keep in mind, that thread has a lot of fish that will be extremely difficult to find. Your best bet is to go to your LFS and see what they have. Then reference that list of the ones you like.

But putting a Beta in that 10 gallon is going further limit you to what you can put in there.

Another option would be to get a beta divider and put two males in your 10 gallon.

5. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I personally feel a betta should be in a tank without other fish. Snails and I believe shrimp are good tank mates.

6. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Ya, my boyfriend and I wanted the 75 g with stand but we have no where to put it in our small apartment :p

The only place to put out 10g is sticking out by half an inch :/ It really is crazy how little fits in a 10 gallon tank. Our betta is pretty stoked being in there alone with all that space. I wouldn't want to divide the tank and put him in a smaller space. As I'm looking through the list i'll see which ones are available in my area and further research their needs and compatibility. It's not really a big deal to only have shrimp and snails.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have room for a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank? If so, what I would do is get that and put the betta in that. Then use a 10 gallon for other fish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. tyguy7760

Yeah..I'm not really sure if there is anything you can put with a beta in a 10 gallon. In a larger tank there are other options to go with a beta but in a 10 gallon I wouldn't feel safe putting anything else in there. Not saying it can't be done. But typically not.

If the beta went into another tank somewhere then other fish you could keep in there are things like ember tetras maybe, guppies, and platies. I have 3 male guppies in my tank and they are some of the most entertaining fish. We call them the 3 amigos as they are constantly racing each other up and down the tank. They bicker a bit between each other but they seem thick as thieves.

Just some food for thought

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi again!

For a betta in a ten gallon, not much. Neons won't be suitable for a ten gallon, as you now already know. There really aren't that many fish period that can go into a ten gallon.

For a 10g with a betta, I would go with invertebrates as tankmates for him. Some people (including myself) have been able to successfully keep a betta with guppies, but I strongly don't recommend this. If you could get a 20g you'd have a lot more options as far as tankmates go for your betta.

But it really depends on the betta, sometimes he'll be okay with it and sometimes he won't.

10. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

@Dom90 , that's a good idea. We have one room we can fit a 5 gallon in but the lighting is garbage; that can be easily fixed, though. I'm still learning the ropes on the care of tanks so once I get the hang of it, I'll look into that optins. :D
    @tyguy7760 , I'm not surprised... betta's are kinda jerks when it comes to company. They need anger management. We plan on moving out and buying a house in a year or 2 so that way we can always buy a nice big tank and leave the betta and his anti-social ways in the 10 gallon.

@BornThisWayBettas , We'll see how he does with his shrimpy friends; I don't want to murder anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  11. tyguy7760

a decade or so ago when I had a beta tank, I kept ghost shrimp with mine and he left them alone.

But each betta is different. You may end up with a laid back easy going fish...or a jeffrey dahmer type fish.

12. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Might start off with ghost shrimp as your "test subjects", as horrible as that sounds, but they are recommended for it.

13. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Nerite snails are a good choice as they will eat algea and vegetables, They do not eat fish poop or clean up the leftover fish flakes, however the ghost shrimp will help clean that part of the tank. So you could do one or two nerites and a few ghost shrimp with the betta. Alison

14. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I had ghost shrimp with my beta and I watched him hunt and kill one of the medium sized shrimp. I took the other medium and small ones out but left the biggest one because he left her alone (probably because she was big enough to fight back)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. tyguy7760

I think the poop eating depends on the snail. One of mine does eat poop from time to time. But I wouldn't depend on it

16. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, wouldn't depend on snails for poop cleanup, either rely on a gravel vac or plants.

17. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with tyguy7760 and I would look at the 10g thread again. I'm going to clean it up for easier reading later.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice