Stocking 90g with HRP

Delcos

I’m doing a fish in cycle with 3 Honduran Red Points that are about 1” and I’m looking for some stocking ideas to go with them. I’d like the HRP’s to breed but I’m not serious about breeding them, if I could community raise a few fry here and there I’d be happy. That said if at all possible I’d like another Cichlid, preferably a single geophagus, buffalo head, parrot, or Firemouth, or something like 3 Bolivian rams. Does anyone have any experience keeping these together or others? I’d also like a mid/top level schooling fish. The tank has sand substrate, lots of hardscape, and is moderately planted, but only with rhizomes on the hard scape

fallfever

I did an HRP breeding project during the pandemic, just for fun, then gave away the fry. HRP's are not as crazy aggressive as convicts, but they don't need to be underestimated either. They are really calm as individuals, but I learned they can not only protect fry from larger fish but will also kill smaller fish that are passive. Like convicts, a male and a female will breed, only with fewer fry. If there are two males and a female, expect there to be one male left. Larger, hardy cichlids are safe, like blood parrots, firemouths, EBA's, etc., as are larger tetras and more aggressive barbs. If you have a male and female, they WILL breed and that will lead to some chaos. Great fish but cousins to the convict and often mixed with them so be aware and stock like you would a convict.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flounderman553
  • Question
Replies
Views
NoahLikesFish
  • Question
Replies
Views