Stocking 75gal?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm currently in process of setting up a new 75gal tank for Africans, however the species that I can get hold of here in NZ is somewhat limited.
pseudotropheus aurora
pseudotropheus demasoni
aulonocara nyassae
melanochromis interuptus
melanochromis auratus
labidochromis caeruleus
metriaclima greshaki
protomelas laeniolatus

These are the only species availible to me, any advice on what could work well would be much apprieciated

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have read the Demasoni and Auratus are among the most aggressive of the Mbuna species. I am not sure if this would still hold true in a 75 gallon though since it seems like plenty of space, but just a heads up.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Nick!

Haven't seen you in a while. Congrats on the 75g tank. I hope you and yours are all doing well.

Ken

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Ken! At the start of the year I nearly destroyed my left hand at work, got it caught in the machinery, painful! So I've been in and out of hospital, 3 major operations and a lot of painkillers for the past 5 months! Just trying to get back to normal now! Everyone else here is fine though!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no!!!! So hate to hear about your accident

Here's to a full recovery

Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nick, it's great to see you back! I'm glad your hand is doing better now!

Wow, many of these species I'm not familiar with, so I'll do the best that I can.

IMHO-I'd set up the tank with pseudotropheus aurora, melanochromis interuptus and, labidochromis caeruleus.

OR:

Demasoni's and labs only. Maybe the auratus would be okay with this level of aggression, but definitely hang on for some more responses regarding this.

I'm not sure where the Red Empress would fit in. Hopefully some other members can help out with that.

I hope this helps!

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks BB, Yeah the hand is getting there, I've another hospital appointment in the morning. I was rather hoping to be able to have a male Empress as the showpiece fish, but i'll wait for a few more responses before making any decisions!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi nick!!!!!!!!!! wondered where you were hiding!! Im glad things are looking up! geeez...

one of my buddies has a Red Empress and does fine in his 80g african setup...but he says its because he has NO females with him...they are much more african community fish if they are not breeding...although ive never kept one myself (cant find anything that nice over here!~ that I can afford!!) and I found my auratus are great with others when he has 3-4fems to worry about...he leaves everyone else alone ....

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Shawnie! It's good to be back in action with 2 hands again! Interesting about the Red Empress, as one Male was actually what I was hoping to keep, sort of a showpiece fish, since they grow a bit bigger than the other species.

P.S-Heres a pic of my hand after the surgeons spent 10 hrs of surgery on it! I had to wear this thing for 5 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom