Stocking 75 gallon

Fisherson

Hello! I bought the 75 gallon tank from petco when it was on sale and I finally have it up and cycled. I previously had a 37 gallon tank and I moved all those fish to the new 75 gallon today, and I'm looking for fish I can add to my current stock.

Current stock:
4 glow skirt tetras (I had a school of 6 before but lost two over the months, should I buy more?)
4 corys (definitely will be adding more of these I was just waiting for the new tank to cycle so I didn't have to stress the new ones out too many times)
1 dwarf gourami
1 nerite snail

For new fish, I am interested in colorful and active fish to add to what I already have. I was looking into bosemani rainbow fish as well as some smaller schooling fish like rasboras or danios etc. I would love to have a betta but unfortunately I don't think temperature wise it would fit it with what I already have. What would you guys add to my current stock to fill a 75 gallon? Open to different types or combos (big centerpiece fish combos or schooling fish combos, etc). Thank you!

Freshfishguy

Hey! So 4 is definitely not a big enough school for the skirt tetras to feel super comfortable, but whether you get more depends on if you want to commit to them afor another 3-6 years. Personally I don’t like the glow fish look, but it’s entirely up to you. If you want to commit to them, then bumping that school up to 12 will make them very happy!

Some awesome fish I’d recommend:
Dragon blood cichlid
Blue Acara
Threadfin rainbows
Forktail rainbows
Headstander fish
Rainbow Cichlid
Dojo Loach

Lmk if you want me to provide any further recommendations for fish that inhabit specific areas of the tank, and what you think of these guys.

Upvote 0

Fisherson

Hey! So 4 is definitely not a big enough school for the skirt tetras to feel super comfortable, but whether you get more depends on if you want to commit to them afor another 3-6 years. Personally I don’t like the glow fish look, but it’s entirely up to you. If you want to commit to them, then bumping that school up to 12 will make them very happy!

Some awesome fish I’d recommend:
Dragon blood cichlid
Blue Acara
Threadfin rainbows
Forktail rainbows
Headstander fish
Rainbow Cichlid
Dojo Loach

Lmk if you want me to provide any further recommendations for fish that inhabit specific areas of the tank, and what you think of these guys.

Thank you, this is great information! I am struggling to decide on the glow fish because I do kind of want to phase them out. Based on your reccomendations and availability around me, I am definitely interested in the blue acara and loaches! Are those typically solo fish or would I need to get more than one? I would really like to have at least one largish school of fish (or maybe two smaller schools of different fish), would you have reccomendations for that? Possibly one for mid tank and one for upper tank area?

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Thank you, this is great information! I am struggling to decide on the glow fish because I do kind of want to phase them out. Based on your reccomendations and availability around me, I am definitely interested in the blue acara and loaches! Are those typically solo fish or would I need to get more than one? I would really like to have at least one largish school of fish (or maybe two smaller schools of different fish), would you have reccomendations for that? Possibly one for mid tank and one for upper tank area?
Cool, no problem! The dojo loaches do best in groups of 3 or more, so I’d get 3 of those.

For the acara, you have to be careful with breeding aggression. If you don’t want to even deal with it, I’d say just get 1, which would totally be fine. I’m not an expert on them though so if you want advice on how to have more but limit aggression you should post a question straight to the Acara thread.

I find hatchetfish really cool because they’re so unique, also they are truly top layer fish. Also you could do either the threadfin rainbows or the forktail rainbows. You could do a group of 12 for whatever upper layer fish you go for. You could also do a singular African butterflyfish for the top instead of the hatchets or rainbows, and then go with a sturdy larger big mid level school like a group of 15 or so bosemanis, or Congo tetras.

If you stick with just 1 Acara at the bottom you could get an awesome pleco if they interest you at all, and/or a group of like 12 Corys (some giant Cory species would be cool).

Other cool miscellaneous fish you could add on top of this stocking would be one or several Opaline gourami or Pearl gourami (they should be fine with the Dwarf Gourami since it’s such a large tank but might have to keep an eye), and/or an angelfish.

Upvote 0

Fisherson

Cool, no problem! The dojo loaches do best in groups of 3 or more, so I’d get 3 of those.

For the acara, you have to be careful with breeding aggression. If you don’t want to even deal with it, I’d say just get 1, which would totally be fine. I’m not an expert on them though so if you want advice on how to have more but limit aggression you should post a question straight to the Acara thread.

I find hatchetfish really cool because they’re so unique, also they are truly top layer fish. Also you could do either the threadfin rainbows or the forktail rainbows. You could do a group of 12 for whatever upper layer fish you go for. You could also do a singular African butterflyfish for the top instead of the hatchets or rainbows, and then go with a sturdy larger big mid level school like a group of 15 or so bosemanis, or Congo tetras.

If you stick with just 1 Acara at the bottom you could get an awesome pleco if they interest you at all, and/or a group of like 12 Corys (some giant Cory species would be cool).

Other cool miscellaneous fish you could add on top of this stocking would be one or several Opaline gourami or Pearl gourami (they should be fine with the Dwarf Gourami since it’s such a large tank but might have to keep an eye), and/or an angelfish.
Great, thank you so much! I appreciate all the information!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ryl33a
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
BottomDweller