Stocking 75 Gal. Planted Tank

GlassBoxOfStuff

Active Member
Member
Messages
73
Reactions
8
Experience
Just started
Currently have a 75-gallon-long planted tank still cycling and a fully cycled 20-gallon long. Plan to move my fish from the 20 gallon to the 75 in a couple weeks.

My 20 gallon currently has:

- 7 serpae tetra
- 1 blank neon tetra (single survivor of school from Petco)
- 1 albino female bristlenose pleco
- 1 non-albino male bristlenose pleco
- 2 or 3 ramshorn snails, and a load of pond snails and pond snail eggs

I know having two pleco in a 20 is not the best idea, but I have been doing frequent water changes and providing algae wafers at night. They were tiny when I purchased them roughly 2 months ago and are already huge. I started buying from a local non-chain store and the employee said the two pleco would be fine housed in the 20 gallon temporarily. Planned to moved them in the 75 gallon sooner, but suddenly had a massive ammonia spike after adding roots tabs in the gravel (Not sure if this is cause or coincidence).

The male pleco bullied the female over food and territory the first month, but he has mellowed out and they will peacefully ventures into each other's territories. I don't mind the snails. The black neon has been schooling with the sepae tetra, and the serpae will peacefully follow him around as well. Would love to have him in a school of other black neons.

Fish I would prefer to stock:

- More black neons!
- Black phantom tetra
- Congo tetra
- Pristella tetra (maybe)
- Green neons (maybe)

How many fish per school is recommended in a 75 gallon? Will my serpae be alright with black phantoms? Should I add more serpae? I've never had aggression issues with them.

What are other neat and compatible fish I can stock and how many different species should I stick with - what's the maximum or recommended numbers of species/schools? Temperature in the 75 gal. stays around 78 degrees. Gravel is smooth, but large (about dime-size). Some plants are rooted, others are the floating variety.
 

NC122606

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,136
Reactions
1,910
Location
Ohio, USA
Experience
1 year
GlassBoxOfStuff said:
Currently have a 75-gallon-long planted tank still cycling and a fully cycled 20-gallon long. Plan to move my fish from the 20 gallon to the 75 in a couple weeks.

My 20 gallon currently has:

- 7 serpae tetra
- 1 blank neon tetra (single survivor of school from Petco)
- 1 albino female bristlenose pleco
- 1 non-albino male bristlenose pleco
- 2 or 3 ramshorn snails, and a load of pond snails and pond snail eggs

I know having two pleco in a 20 is not the best idea, but I have been doing frequent water changes and providing algae wafers at night. They were tiny when I purchased them roughly 2 months ago and are already huge. I started buying from a local non-chain store and the employee said the two pleco would be fine housed in the 20 gallon temporarily. Planned to moved them in the 75 gallon sooner, but suddenly had a massive ammonia spike after adding roots tabs in the gravel (Not sure if this is cause or coincidence).

The male pleco bullied the female over food and territory the first month, but he has mellowed out and they will peacefully ventures into each other's territories. I don't mind the snails. The black neon has been schooling with the sepae tetra, and the serpae will peacefully follow him around as well. Would love to have him in a school of other black neons.

Fish I would prefer to stock:

- More black neons!
- Black phantom tetra
- Congo tetra
- Pristella tetra (maybe)
- Green neons (maybe)

How many fish per school is recommended in a 75 gallon? Will my serpae be alright with black phantoms? Should I add more serpae? I've never had aggression issues with them.

What are other neat and compatible fish I can stock and how many different species should I stick with - what's the maximum or recommended numbers of species/schools? Temperature in the 75 gal. stays around 78 degrees. Gravel is smooth, but large (about dime-size). Some plants are rooted, others are the floating variety.
You can do schools to about 10 - 15. Other fish you could do is Bolivian Rams, Peacock Gudgeons, Moonlight Gourami.
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,055
Reactions
4,297
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally instead of like 5 schools of tetras I'd do two large schools of them, technically you could do groups of 8 each of the species you want, but the fish will probably be happier if you just had two or three species with groups of 12-15.

For a centerpiece type fish, I'd look at a peaceful or 'semi-aggressive' cichlid like a firemouth, convict, sajica, or rainbow cichlids.

I wouldn't recommend moonlight gouramis, they're timid and wouldn't do great with fish like serpae tetras. Look at Trichopodus trichopterus variants instead (blue/gold/cosby/opaline/albino/etc.)
 

NC122606

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,136
Reactions
1,910
Location
Ohio, USA
Experience
1 year
Anders247 said:
Personally instead of like 5 schools of tetras I'd do two large schools of them, technically you could do groups of 8 each of the species you want, but the fish will probably be happier if you just had two or three species with groups of 12-15.

For a centerpiece type fish, I'd look at a peaceful or 'semi-aggressive' cichlid like a firemouth, convict, sajica, or rainbow cichlids.

I wouldn't recommend moonlight gouramis, they're timid and wouldn't do great with fish like serpae tetras. Look at Trichopodus trichopterus variants instead (blue/gold/cosby/opaline/albino/etc.)
Yeah, I realized as I looked at it, "This fish should only be kept with peaceful Fish".
Also, Keyhole Cichlids could work.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
G

GlassBoxOfStuff

Active Member
Member
Messages
73
Reactions
8
Experience
Just started
Anders247 said:
Personally instead of like 5 schools of tetras I'd do two large schools of them, technically you could do groups of 8 each of the species you want, but the fish will probably be happier if you just had two or three species with groups of 12-15.

For a centerpiece type fish, I'd look at a peaceful or 'semi-aggressive' cichlid like a firemouth, convict, sajica, or rainbow cichlids.

I wouldn't recommend moonlight gouramis, they're timid and wouldn't do great with fish like serpae tetras. Look at Trichopodus trichopterus variants instead (blue/gold/cosby/opaline/albino/etc.)
I know I want large number of black neons. Was thinking perhaps 8 congo tetra.

What about:

- Black neons, 12-15
- Congo tetra, 8
- Serpae tetra, 7 -8
- Black phantom, 7-8

I see your point. 5 schools does sound a bit much.
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,055
Reactions
4,297
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
NC122606 said:
Yeah, I realized as I looked at it, "This fish should only be kept with peaceful Fish".
Also, Keyhole Cichlids could work.
There's so many medium-sized cichlids it's ridiculous, it's a shame more aren't available in the hobby.
GlassBoxOfStuff said:
I know I want large number of black neons. Was thinking perhaps 8 congo tetra.

What about:

- Black neons, 12-15
- Congo tetra, 8
- Serpae tetra, 7 -8
- Black phantom, 7-8

I see your point. 5 schools does sound a bit much.
That would be OK.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
G

GlassBoxOfStuff

Active Member
Member
Messages
73
Reactions
8
Experience
Just started
NC122606 said:
You can do schools to about 10 - 15. Other fish you could do is Bolivian Rams, Peacock Gudgeons, Moonlight Gourami.
Oh, wow! Peacock Gudgeons are beautiful. I heard about them a while back, but forgot what they looked like. Bolivian Rams look wonderful too. My brother-in-law had a couple rams and they mostly dwelled on the bottom near the gravel. Would they bother the pleco?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
G

GlassBoxOfStuff

Active Member
Member
Messages
73
Reactions
8
Experience
Just started
Anders247 said:
Personally instead of like 5 schools of tetras I'd do two large schools of them, technically you could do groups of 8 each of the species you want, but the fish will probably be happier if you just had two or three species with groups of 12-15.

For a centerpiece type fish, I'd look at a peaceful or 'semi-aggressive' cichlid like a firemouth, convict, sajica, or rainbow cichlids.

I wouldn't recommend moonlight gouramis, they're timid and wouldn't do great with fish like serpae tetras. Look at Trichopodus trichopterus variants instead (blue/gold/cosby/opaline/albino/etc.)
One of the employees from my LFS mentioned Discus as a centerpiece fish. I wouldn't mind 1 or 2, but a school of them seems a bit much. I think congo tetra prefer other fish their size or smaller?
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,055
Reactions
4,297
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
Discus would be a terrible idea with serpae tetras, imo. They need a group of 6 or more anyway.
Congo tetras are fine with fish bigger than than them, is that what you are asking?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
G

GlassBoxOfStuff

Active Member
Member
Messages
73
Reactions
8
Experience
Just started
Anders247 said:
Discus would be a terrible idea with serpae tetras, imo. They need a group of 6 or more anyway.
Congo tetras are fine with fish bigger than than them, is that what you are asking?
Yes, thank you. I figured discus would be a bad idea. I read somewhere that Congo tetra fear fish bigger then themselves, but wasn't sure how true this was... I may still stick to having congo and smaller tetra.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
106
Guests online
1,999
Total visitors
2,105

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom