Stocking 75 Gal. Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by GlassBoxOfStuff, Jun 29, 2019.

1. GlassBoxOfStuff

GlassBoxOfStuffValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    Currently have a 75-gallon-long planted tank still cycling and a fully cycled 20-gallon long. Plan to move my fish from the 20 gallon to the 75 in a couple weeks.

My 20 gallon currently has:

- 7 serpae tetra
    - 1 blank neon tetra (single survivor of school from Petco)
    - 1 albino female bristlenose pleco
    - 1 non-albino male bristlenose pleco
    - 2 or 3 ramshorn snails, and a load of pond snails and pond snail eggs

I know having two pleco in a 20 is not the best idea, but I have been doing frequent water changes and providing algae wafers at night. They were tiny when I purchased them roughly 2 months ago and are already huge. I started buying from a local non-chain store and the employee said the two pleco would be fine housed in the 20 gallon temporarily. Planned to moved them in the 75 gallon sooner, but suddenly had a massive ammonia spike after adding roots tabs in the gravel (Not sure if this is cause or coincidence).

The male pleco bullied the female over food and territory the first month, but he has mellowed out and they will peacefully ventures into each other's territories. I don't mind the snails. The black neon has been schooling with the sepae tetra, and the serpae will peacefully follow him around as well. Would love to have him in a school of other black neons.

Fish I would prefer to stock:

- More black neons!
    - Black phantom tetra
    - Congo tetra
    - Pristella tetra (maybe)
    - Green neons (maybe)

How many fish per school is recommended in a 75 gallon? Will my serpae be alright with black phantoms? Should I add more serpae? I've never had aggression issues with them.

What are other neat and compatible fish I can stock and how many different species should I stick with - whats the maximum or recommended numbers of species/schools? Temperature in the 75 gal. stays around 78 degrees. Gravel is smooth, but large (about dime-size). Some plants are rooted, others are the floating variety.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    Just started
    You can do schools to about 10 - 15. Other fish you could do is Bolivian Rams, Peacock Gudgeons, Moonlight Gourami.

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Personally instead of like 5 schools of tetras I'd do two large schools of them, technically you could do groups of 8 each of the species you want, but the fish will probably be happier if you just had two or three species with groups of 12-15.

For a centerpiece type fish, I'd look at a peaceful or 'semi-aggressive' cichlid like a firemouth, convict, sajica, or rainbow cichlids.

I wouldn't recommend moonlight gouramis, they're timid and wouldn't do great with fish like serpae tetras. Look at Trichopodus trichopterus variants instead (blue/gold/cosby/opaline/albino/etc.)

4. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah, I realized as I looked at it, "This fish should only be kept with peaceful Fish".
    Also, Keyhole Cichlids could work.

5. OP
    OP
    GlassBoxOfStuff

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    I know I want large number of black neons. Was thinking perhaps 8 congo tetra.

What about:

- Black neons, 12-15
    - Congo tetra, 8
    - Serpae tetra, 7 -8
    - Black phantom, 7-8

I see your point. 5 schools does sound a bit much.

6. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    There's so many medium-sized cichlids it's ridiculous, it's a shame more aren't available in the hobby.
    That would be OK.

7. OP
    OP
    GlassBoxOfStuff

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh, wow! Peacock Gudgeons are beautiful. I heard about them a while back, but forgot what they looked like. Bolivian Rams look wonderful too. My brother-in-law had a couple rams and they mostly dwelled on the bottom near the gravel. Would they bother the pleco?

8. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    No, they wouldn't bother the pleco.

9. OP
    OP
    GlassBoxOfStuff

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    One of the employees from my LFS mentioned Discus as a centerpiece fish. I wouldn't mind 1 or 2, but a school of them seems a bit much. I think congo tetra prefer other fish their size or smaller?

10. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Discus would be a terrible idea with serpae tetras, imo. They need a group of 6 or more anyway.
    Congo tetras are fine with fish bigger than than them, is that what you are asking?

11. OP
    OP
    GlassBoxOfStuff

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes, thank you. I figured discus would be a bad idea. I read somewhere that Congo tetra fear fish bigger then themselves, but wasn't sure how true this was... I may still stick to having congo and smaller tetra.