Stocking 6ftx2x2 tank.

1. Jamie Boshier Member Member

Hi there. I'm soon purchasing a big tank! Haha.
    I want to have 4-5 clown loaches. I just want some ideas as to what else I could stock? Big fish and small fish.

I would love a pair of oscars too.
    They they go?
    Please suggest some of your favourites and ideas. They'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could have clown loaches with an Oscar but make sure the loaches are big enough not to be eaten or even attempted to be eaten, clown loaches have subocular spines as a defence mechanism & can they get stuck in the larger fishes mouth & you'll most likely lose both of them.

3. Jamie Boshier Member Member

Just one oscar? Could could I have a pair?
    So 5 loaches, and oscars would be okay?
    With the oscars I then narrow my tank down to just big fish otherwise the oscars will eat them right?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't have a pair of oscars as well as the clown loach imo it'd be overstocked especially as the fish grow

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Oscars have a huge bioload. You have to consider that when stocking a tank containing them, if you plan to have other fish.

6. Jamie Boshier Member Member

Okay so just need to be careful with how many fish I stock otherwise I'll be doing water changes daily!? So one oscar along with the clown loaches and then maybe a couple of bottom feeders?

Water changes every couple of weeks? Can someone suggest a wicked filter system? Lighting system and sand or gravel?

Jamie

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Clowns are bottom feeders, I wouldn't add any other fish.
    You'll have to do weekly water changes same as with any other tank

8. Jamie Boshier Member Member

Okay sounds good :) and couldn't have anything smaller as the oscar would eat it!
    Cool okay! If I reduced the clown loaches to 4 would there then be room for a pair of oscars?

Jamie

9. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Clown loaches need large shoals of 5-6 fish. Given how big they get and how messy they are, I would say you should choose between 6 loaches or 2 oscars.

You might consider a pair of oscars (M:F) and a common pleco. The pleco will be much less likely to succumb to bullying than the clown loaches would.

10. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I would agree with the posts above. Five or six clowns and one oscar, or two oscars and no clowns. Because oscars are giant slobs.

11. Jamie Boshier Member Member

Thanks a lot. Any suggestions regarding filters, lighting, heating? Tank decor?

12. TJBender Well Known Member Member

For filters, go big. You're putting a lot of messy fish into that tank, and even at 180g, you're still apt to have bioload problems. I'd personally go with two canisters or two massive HOBs if you don't have the room/money for canisters.

Lighting will depend on what you plan to do plantwise. If you're going for a planted tank, you'll need to go brighter. If you're looking an uplanted, lower light to control algae may be the way to go.

In a tank that size, I'd recommend using two or three smaller heaters spaced throughout the tank as opposed to using one gargantuan one. Reason being that if a heater fails on a cold night and there's a backup or two in there, you're probably fine. If it's your only heater, you might have problems.

For tank decor, I've seen oscars in planted tanks and in tanks that have only rock/artificial decor. Kind of up to you, though I'm not sure if clown loaches have a preference. I can't imagine that the clowns wouldn't appreciate some driftwood.

13. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Can't really keep plants with an Oscar, except perhaps floaters. Oscar will totally rearrange the tank at will. So you'd constantly be replanting anything that was rooted in the substrate.

14. Jamie Boshier Member Member

TJ , really appreciate your time in writing that information out for me.
    What sort of costs will be inflicted on me with to canisters ? Heaters are fairly cheap.
    I'm a fan of unplanted aquariums so probably will go for rocks and bog wood. I will carefully choose a background to which will suit the colours of the fish etc. do colours in the tank effect fish? Behaviour wise? Etc??

Jamie

15. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Well, for instance, Petsmart lists the Fluval 406 canister at $240. Given that it's a 100g filter and you're stocking a 180g tank with heavy bioload fish, I'd suggest a pair of those if you went that route. You could also get a pair of Marineland C360 canisters for $200 apiece if you wanted to go slightly cheaper. Those are canisters.

For HOBs, you'd certainly be looking cheaper, but your options would be more limited. For example, you could get a pair of Marineland Emperor 400s, which would put you at the absolute bare minimum (180g) for your tank, for $130 after tax. You could go with Fluval C4's and get three for your tank (210g at max flow) for $65 apiece, but you'd have 3 HOB filters hanging off your tank.

I'd suggest going with a pair of canisters for a tank that size, as packing a load of HOBs on there will make it a very, very loud tank. It's a little more costly, but they're better filters in general.

I've never known colors in the tank to affect fish, but wait for others to chime in there.

16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Clowns like to squeeze themselves into caves so incorporate some of those in your tank for them.
    Thought you might like to see some large clowns, the biggest of them is Marge sadly she passed away last year
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OduEhYtVgaA

17. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

18. Jamie Boshier Member Member

Wow... I'm in love with them. Like madly in love haha! I may consider having the oscar... I do really like them two but having him or a few more clowns instead is a bit of a toss up.

Thanks again for your time. The more expensive filters I think would be the ones. I tend not to buy cheap as I'm a believer in you get what you buy. Just might mean a bit more saving!

19. WolfaraRose Member Member

I second the SunSun Canisters.

20. Jamie Boshier Member Member

Thanks Chiclidman. So what you've just linked me too there would be all I need as regards to filters? And what you said regarding stocking 2 oscars was that with the clowns in mind aswell?